looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo - VMS

This is a discussion on looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo - VMS ; etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > On 5 Jan, 04:09, "Craig A. Berry" > wrote: > >>In article >> , >> >> etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote: >> >>>I'm looking an >>>8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues) >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > On 5 Jan, 04:09, "Craig A. Berry"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article
    >>,
    >>
    >> etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking an
    >>>8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)

    >>What sort of Perl issues are you having?
    >>
    >>--

    > I need to use the VMS::Mail module in order to retrive email from my
    > ISP (they only provide POP3 mailboxes for ADSL customers). The kit
    > was having problems building and installing with VMS V8.3 and the
    > version of Perl shipping from HP.
    >
    > As of this morning, I have a horrible feeling that my system disk has
    > died anyway as it was going into mount verification, coming out, then
    > going in the out etc (you get the idea). (

    If the disk hasn't actually died, it seems clear that it is, at least,
    terminally ill. Make a full backup if you haven't already, and reach
    for your checkbook!

  2. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    On 7 Jan, 13:10, "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
    > etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > > On 5 Jan, 04:09, "Craig A. Berry"
    > > wrote:

    > >>In article
    > >>,

    > >>What sort of Perl issues are you having?

    > >>--

    > > I need to use the VMS::Mail module in order to retrive email from my
    > > ISP (they only provide POP3 mailboxes for ADSL customers). *The kit
    > > was having problems building and installing with VMS V8.3 and the
    > > version of Perl shipping from HP.

    > > As of this morning, I have a horrible feeling that my system disk has
    > > died anyway as it was going into mount verification, coming out, then
    > > going in the out etc (you get the idea). (

    > If the disk hasn't actually died, it seems clear that it is, at least,
    > terminally ill. *Make a full backup if you haven't already, and reach
    > for your checkbook!- Hide quoted text -

    Never say never (at least not until the backup's completed!) but it
    looks like the problem wasn't the system disk per se, though the user
    disk (where the page and swap file were) has gone mount verify
    timeout. Dunno if that means that the user disk was throwing rubbish
    onto the SCSI bus (it's the internal bus in a rack mount AS1000A) or
    what. 165 errors on PKA0, 84 on DKA400:...

    Anyway, the system disk backup is running now and the user disk
    doesn't change too much so the backup of a month or so ago should be
    ok if I can't cajole it into mounting by rebooting the system.

    Perl:
    I was attempting to upgrade from VMS v7.3 on Alpha to VMS v8.3.
    Using the Perl v5.8.6 build on the HP website, the VMS::Mail module
    (from David North IIRC) wouldn't build. There were errors at compile
    time relating to the version of Perl it would run under (it was
    hardcoded to 5.6 and needed the source editing to put 5.8 in there
    instead).
    It'd be easier for me if the Mail module was included in the Perl
    build! (
    Bernd Ulmann did suggest doing my own Perl build, but I'm a little
    nervous about doing that.

    Steve

  3. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > On 7 Jan, 13:10, "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
    >
    >>etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    >>>I need to use the VMS::Mail module in order to retrive email from my
    >>>ISP (they only provide POP3 mailboxes for ADSL customers). The kit
    >>>was having problems building and installing with VMS V8.3 and the
    >>>version of Perl shipping from HP.

    >>>As of this morning, I have a horrible feeling that my system disk has
    >>>died anyway as it was going into mount verification, coming out, then
    >>>going in the out etc (you get the idea). (

    >>If the disk hasn't actually died, it seems clear that it is, at least,
    >>terminally ill. Make a full backup if you haven't already, and reach
    >>for your checkbook!- Hide quoted text -

    > Never say never (at least not until the backup's completed!) but it
    > looks like the problem wasn't the system disk per se, though the user
    > disk (where the page and swap file were) has gone mount verify
    > timeout. Dunno if that means that the user disk was throwing rubbish
    > onto the SCSI bus (it's the internal bus in a rack mount AS1000A) or
    > what. 165 errors on PKA0, 84 on DKA400:...

    If it's not one of your disks, you certainly have a problem on your SCSI
    bus somewhere! These things normally run for months or years without
    logging an error.

    A mount verify means that the system lost contact with the disk and was
    attempting to read the volume label to see what's mounted. The
    timeout means that it tried for a while and got no response.

    I'd suggest powering everything off, open up the computer, vacuum out
    the dust bunnies and reseat the SCSI HBA. Disconnect and reconnect the
    SCSI cable (both ends). If the disks are Storage Works, power them off
    and reseat them too. Power on and try again. You might also check for
    duplicate SCSI addresses. The HBA is normally 7 and the devices 0-6.
    The addresses can be anything you like just make sure you have no
    duplicates.

  4. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    On 7 Jan, 20:32, "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
    > etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > >>If the disk hasn't actually died, it seems clear that it is, at least,
    > >>terminally ill. *Make a full backup if you haven't already, and reach
    > >>for your checkbook!- Hide quoted text -

    > > Never say never (at least not until the backup's completed!) but it
    > > looks like the problem wasn't the system disk per se, though the user
    > > disk (where the page and swap file were) has gone mount verify
    > > timeout. *Dunno if that means that the user disk was throwing rubbish
    > > onto the SCSI bus (it's the internal bus in a rack mount AS1000A) or
    > > what. *165 errors on PKA0, 84 on DKA400:...

    > If it's not one of your disks, you certainly have a problem on your SCSI
    > bus somewhere! *These things normally run for months or years without
    > logging an error.
    >
    > A mount verify means that the system lost contact with the disk and was
    > * attempting to read the volume label to see what's mounted. *The
    > timeout means that it tried for a while and got no response.
    >
    > I'd suggest powering everything off, open up the computer, vacuum out
    > the dust bunnies and reseat the SCSI HBA. *Disconnect and reconnect the
    > SCSI cable (both ends). *If the disks are Storage Works, power them off
    > and reseat them too. *Power on and try again. *You might also check for
    > duplicate SCSI addresses. *The HBA is normally 7 and the devices 0-6.
    > The addresses can be anything you like just make sure you have no
    > duplicates.- Hide quoted text -

    It's probably dusty inside the 1000A, but the config is fairly stable
    (has been that way for about four years IIRC). The bus is the main
    logic board SCSI so it might be a case of swap the system board or
    (more likely since it's easier) put a separate HBA card in there.

    I guess the one saving grace is that the system doesn't do a lot so
    didn't have anything in the page or swap files that were on the disk
    that timed out of mount verification.

  5. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    In article
    ,
    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > Perl:
    > I was attempting to upgrade from VMS v7.3 on Alpha to VMS v8.3.
    > Using the Perl v5.8.6 build on the HP website, the VMS::Mail module
    > (from David North IIRC) wouldn't build. There were errors at compile
    > time relating to the version of Perl it would run under (it was
    > hardcoded to 5.6 and needed the source editing to put 5.8 in there
    > instead).

    Details!

    > It'd be easier for me if the Mail module was included in the Perl
    > build! (

    Any problems you have building the extension against an installed Perl
    would almost certainly also occur when simply inserting the extension
    into the main Perl build process. I haven't built VMS::Mail myself in
    quite awhile, but I believe it's included in the Perl 5.8.4 kit here:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/perl/

    I should know, since I built it, but there's been a lot of water under
    the bridge since then and I'm overdue to put together a new kit.

    > Bernd Ulmann did suggest doing my own Perl build, but I'm a little
    > nervous about doing that.

    It's not that tough and there is help available. It's currently the
    only way to get Perl 5.10.0, with its large file, hard link, symlink,
    and other recent goodness. But there's also no urgent reason to go
    that route if you have a lot based on the HP 5.8.6 kit.

    While technical content on c.o.v is welcome, albeit a bit shocking at
    this point, you may also want to consider the low-volume and more
    targeted mailing list specifically for Perl on VMS issues. Just send
    any old message to vmsperl-subscribe AT perl DOT org.

  6. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    On 8 Jan, 04:47, "Craig A. Berry"
    wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > *etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > > Perl:
    > > I was attempting to upgrade from VMS v7.3 on Alpha to VMS v8.3.
    > > Using the Perl v5.8.6 build on the HP website, the VMS::Mail module
    > > (from David North IIRC) wouldn't build. *There were errors at compile
    > > time relating to the version of Perl it would run under (it was
    > > hardcoded to 5.6 and needed the source editing to put 5.8 in there
    > > instead).

    > Details!
    >
    > > It'd be easier for me if the Mail module was included in the Perl
    > > build! (

    > Any problems you have building the extension against an installed Perl
    > would almost certainly also occur when simply inserting the extension
    > into the main Perl build process. *I haven't built VMS::Mail myself in
    > quite awhile, but I believe it's included in the Perl 5.8.4 kit here:
    >
    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/perl/
    >
    > I should know, since I built it, but there's been a lot of water under
    > the bridge since then and I'm overdue to put together a new kit.
    >
    > > Bernd Ulmann did suggest doing my own Perl build, but I'm a little
    > > nervous about doing that.

    > It's not that tough and there is help available. *It's currently the
    > only way to get Perl 5.10.0, with its large file, hard link, symlink,
    > and other recent goodness. *But there's also no urgent reason to go
    > that route if you have a lot based on the HP 5.8.6 kit.
    >
    > While technical content on c.o.v is welcome, albeit a bit shocking at
    > this point, you may also want to consider the low-volume and more
    > targeted mailing list specifically for Perl on VMS issues. *Just send
    > any old message to vmsperl-subscribe AT perl DOT org.
    >
    > --

    Hi Craig,

    Having got the Perl 5.8.4 kit from the HP Freeware, is it just a case
    of unzipping the file? There don't appear to be any makefiles etc.

    thanks in advance

    Steve

  7. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    In article
    <7585297d-e651-449d-a414-74e43f9a8830@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > > I haven't built VMS::Mail myself in
    > > quite awhile, but I believe it's included in the Perl 5.8.4 kit here:
    > >
    > > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/perl/
    > >

    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > Having got the Perl 5.8.4 kit from the HP Freeware, is it just a case
    > of unzipping the file? There don't appear to be any makefiles etc.

    Yes, just unzip it wherever you want and run the included perl_setup.com.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2