Time difference between Received and Date Headers - VMS

This is a discussion on Time difference between Received and Date Headers - VMS ; Does someone know what would cause the time difference between the "Received:" and "Date:" headers for locally sent email? The "Received:" header shows a time of 40 minutes after the "Date:" time. Thanks, Tim...

  1. Time difference between Received and Date Headers

    Does someone know what would cause the time difference between the
    "Received:" and "Date:" headers for locally sent email? The "Received:"
    header shows a time of 40 minutes after the "Date:" time.

    Thanks,

    Tim

  2. Re: Time difference between Received and Date Headers

    If the user began composing the message, got distracted, and completed
    the composition 40 minutes later, that would explain such a difference.

    The Date: header should reflect the time as set on the client machine at
    the time the message composition began. The Received: header reflects
    the time the MTA got the message to begin processing. If the client is
    a workstation other than the one where PMDF is running, it's also
    possible that the clock on that machine is (or was) off by 40 minutes.
    I've known this to occur both accidently and on purpose (to make the
    recipient think that the message was sent by some deadline when the
    deadline had actually passed).

    -ken

    --
    - Ken
    Ken Connelly Associate Director, Security and Systems

+ Reply to Thread