Re: HP to close Nashua (ZKO) - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: HP to close Nashua (ZKO) - VMS ; Dan O'Reilly wrote on 12/12/2007 08:33:56 PM: > At 06:21 PM 12/12/2007, bradhamilton wrote: > >Bill Gunshannon wrote: > >>In article , > >> brooks@cuebid.zko.hp.nosp am (Rob Brooks) writes: > >>>billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes: > >>>> "Ken Robinson" writes: > ...

  1. Re: HP to close Nashua (ZKO)

    Dan O'Reilly wrote on 12/12/2007 08:33:56 PM:

    > At 06:21 PM 12/12/2007, bradhamilton wrote:
    > >Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    close

    eliminated

    > >>If their place of employment is in MA won't MA get to tax them anyway?
    > >>I know that was the way it worked around here. Before PA had things
    > >>lime "occupational priviledge" taxes people who worked over the border
    > >>in NY had to pay it to NY. That was one of the reasons why PA started
    > >>doing it. If the tax had to be paid anyway, why shouldn;t they be the
    > >>one collecting (and profiting from) it.

    > >I think so - as a former Fidelity employee working in Marlborough, (we
    > >shared the "campus" with Compaq/HP) one of my managers commuted from
    > >Manchester, NH, and paid income tax - since NH has none, I'm assuming

    he
    > >paid MA income tax. Perhaps there was some kind of "arrangement"

    between
    > >the two states that I'm unaware of.

    > I doubt that was the case. I live in CO and telecommute to MA (Process
    > Software). I pay CO taxes, not MA taxes.

    (Since Col. has income taxes, your case is not analogous.)
    The thing if it is: Since N.H. has no income tax, Mass. can and does
    collect Non-Resident State Income Tax from those living in N.H., but
    working in Mass.

    > The interesting thing is,

    there
    > are some MA labor laws that affect me here in CO, although paying taxes
    > isn't one of them.
    >
    > ------

    > | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this

    > | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    > | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    > | http://www.process.com | |

  2. Re: HP to close Nashua (ZKO)

    In article ,
    norm.raphael@metso.com writes:
    > This is a multipart message in MIME format.
    > --=_alternative 000EE72B852573B0_=
    >
    > Dan O'Reilly wrote on 12/12/2007 08:33:56 PM:

    > close

    > eliminated

    >> >I think so - as a former Fidelity employee working in Marlborough, (we
    >> >shared the "campus" with Compaq/HP) one of my managers commuted from
    >> >Manchester, NH, and paid income tax - since NH has none, I'm assuming

    > he
    >> >paid MA income tax. Perhaps there was some kind of "arrangement"

    > between
    >> >the two states that I'm unaware of.

    >> I doubt that was the case. I live in CO and telecommute to MA (Process
    >> Software). I pay CO taxes, not MA taxes.

    > (Since Col. has income taxes, your case is not analogous.)
    > The thing if it is: Since N.H. has no income tax, Mass. can and does
    > collect Non-Resident State Income Tax from those living in N.H., but
    > working in Mass.

    My point exactly. That makes this move a sudden reduction of
    pay by several thousand dollars for all these people. Depending
    on circumstances, this could be a very strong incentive to
    either retire, if possible, or just find other employment.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

+ Reply to Thread