SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception - VMS

This is a discussion on SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception - VMS ; Hi Folks, I'm a Hobbyist; is there someplace I can "report" a system crash? V8.3 Alpha V5.7-2 TCPware latest patches: DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_SHADOWING V1.0 Patch Install Val 25-NOV-2007 DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_FIBRE_SCSI V3.0 Patch Install Val 25-NOV-2007 DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_SYS V5.0 ...

  1. SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception

    Hi Folks,

    I'm a Hobbyist; is there someplace I can "report" a system crash?

    V8.3 Alpha
    V5.7-2 TCPware
    latest patches:

    DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_SHADOWING V1.0 Patch Install Val 25-NOV-2007
    DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_FIBRE_SCSI V3.0 Patch Install Val 25-NOV-2007
    DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_SYS V5.0 Patch Install Val 14-NOV-2007
    DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_LAN V2.0 Patch Install Val 11-NOV-2007
    DEC AXPVMS VMS83A_UPDATE V4.0 Patch Install Val 11-NOV-2007

    WASD Web server

    System crashed this morning - The Clue listing file says:

    OpenVMS Operating System, Version V8.3 -- System Dump Analysis
    12-DEC-2007
    10:33:04.96 Page 1
    Crashdump Summary Information:

    Crash Time: 12-DEC-2007 10:33:04.96
    Bugcheck Type: SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception
    Node: RABBIT (Standalone)
    CPU Type: Digital Personal WorkStation
    VMS Version: V8.3
    Current Process: HyperSPI$agent
    Current Image: DSA1:[HT_ROOT.][AXP]HYPERSPI$AGENT.EXE;4
    Failing PC: 00000000.00000000
    Failing PS: 00000000.00000003
    Module:
    Offset: 00000000

    The "current process" is a component of the WASD Web server.
    The total listing is 12 pages, and I think I have a full memory dump.
    Should I/can I "report" this in ITRC?

    TIA

  2. Re: SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception

    Brad,

    could you mail me the full CLUE file (CLUE$COLLECT:CLUE
    $RABBIT_121207_1033.LIS) ? Then I'll have a look and tell you more
    about the crash. As the failing PC is zero, this is most likely stack
    corruption, but we'll see.

    ---
    Volker Halle, Invenate GmbH, OpenVMS Support

    An OpenVMS crashdump analysis a day
    makes the Windows headaches go away.

  3. Re: SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception

    Brad,

    a SSRVEXCEPT crash in most cases makes the current image a possible
    suspect. The current process seems to be running a privileged software
    called HyperSPI. This software has been developed in the OpenVMS V6.x
    time-frame and is supposed to work on V7.1 - according to it's WEB
    page. Running this software - based on an un-documented and therefore
    un-supported interface EXE$GETSPI - is for the adventurers...

    Did you rebuild this image from sources ? Any error messages ?
    Did you use this software before on other versions of OpenVMS ?

    The system crashes immediately following a call into SPISHR, an
    OpenVMS shareable library. There is a saved return address in R26. In
    the dump, try

    SDA> EXA/INS 7B456B0C-40;60

    If you think this software should work and not crash the system,
    further analysis of the SYSDUMP.DMP file may be necessary.

    Volker.

  4. Re: SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception

    Brad,

    there is a new SPISHR.EXE in the VMS83A_MONTOR-V0100 kit. It's worth a
    try to see, if this problem may disappear with the most recent
    SPIRSHR.EXE image.

    Volker.

  5. Re: SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception

    Volker Halle wrote:
    > Brad,
    >
    > a SSRVEXCEPT crash in most cases makes the current image a possible
    > suspect. The current process seems to be running a privileged software

    Neither the data collection agent or the display application require
    either account or INSTALLed privileges.

    > called HyperSPI. This software has been developed in the OpenVMS V6.x
    > time-frame and is supposed to work on V7.1 - according to it's WEB

    Personally, I have it running on three systems currently at V7.3-2
    without issue. I do not have it in a V8.n environment.

    > page. Running this software - based on an un-documented and therefore
    > un-supported interface EXE$GETSPI - is for the adventurers...

    Eryup. Both the read-me and agent source code note this, and

    It utilizes the undocumented EXE$GETSPI interface. Interface details
    plagiarized (and extensively reworked) from a VMS X Window System
    utility named SPI.

    > Did you rebuild this image from sources ? Any error messages ?
    > Did you use this software before on other versions of OpenVMS ?
    >
    > The system crashes immediately following a call into SPISHR, an
    > OpenVMS shareable library. There is a saved return address in R26. In
    > the dump, try
    >
    > SDA> EXA/INS 7B456B0C-40;60
    >
    > If you think this software should work and not crash the system,

    Surely no user-mode, non-privileged application *should* crash the
    system? You would hope at worst it might bugcheck itself, not the whole
    shebang! :-)

    --
    It seems to me what is called for is an exquisite balance between two
    conflicting needs: the most skeptical scrutiny of all hypotheses that

  6. Re: SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception

    Mark,

    thanks for providing additional information about this tool ;-) I had
    a look at the source code and also tried a standalone example
    (FREEWARE_V5:[SRH_EXAMPLES]I_SPI.C) for the EXE$GETSPI call on V8.3
    (with VMS83A_UPDATE-V0400 installed) with just TMPMBX and NETMBX. It
    works and does not crash.

    Now trying to convince HP that using an undocumented and unsupported
    interface from user mode may create a system crash, is another
    challenge.

    Brad,

    please try the most recent SPISHR.EXE available from VMS83A_MONTOR-
    V0100 first. Did the crash happen immediately after starting HYPERSPI
    $AGENT ? Or did it work for a while and then crashed ?

    $ ANAL/CRASH dumpfile
    SDA> exa/time ctl$gq_login

    Volker.

  7. Re: SSRVEXCEPT, Unexpected system service exception

    Volker Halle wrote:
    > Mark,
    >
    > thanks for providing additional information about this tool ;-) I had
    > a look at the source code and also tried a standalone example
    > (FREEWARE_V5:[SRH_EXAMPLES]I_SPI.C) for the EXE$GETSPI call on V8.3
    > (with VMS83A_UPDATE-V0400 installed) with just TMPMBX and NETMBX. It
    > works and does not crash.
    >
    > Now trying to convince HP that using an undocumented and unsupported
    > interface from user mode may create a system crash, is another
    > challenge.
    >
    > Brad,
    >
    > please try the most recent SPISHR.EXE available from VMS83A_MONTOR-
    > V0100 first. Did the crash happen immediately after starting HYPERSPI
    > $AGENT ? Or did it work for a while and then crashed ?

    The footprint is that it works "for a while" and then crashes. I'll try
    the MONTOR patch (no reboot necessary), and then start up Hyper$SPI again.

    Thanks to both you and Mark for your feedback!

+ Reply to Thread