Re: Amazing RUNOFF defect? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Amazing RUNOFF defect? - VMS ; From: "P. Sture" > In article , > sms@antinode-org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote: > > > Directory ALP$DKA0:[SMS.RUNOFF] > > > > LC.MEM;1 142 > > UC.MEM;1 138 > > VMS_ZIP.RNH;1 131 > > Duplicated on another .RNH file here. ...

  1. Re: Amazing RUNOFF defect?

    From: "P. Sture"

    > In article <07120600562608_202002AB@antinode.org>,
    > sms@antinode-org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    >
    > > Directory ALP$DKA0:[SMS.RUNOFF]
    > >
    > > LC.MEM;1 142 <--- Hmmm.
    > > UC.MEM;1 138 <---
    > > VMS_ZIP.RNH;1 131

    > Duplicated on another .RNH file here. The resulting .MEM has page
    > numbers and form feeds, hence the larger size.
    >
    > The setting of SET PROCESS/PARSE doesn't make any difference here.
    >
    > This on Alpha V8.3.

    It's a trend. I submitted a "product business feedback" complaint to
    HP (http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_business.html), and got a
    thanks-but-it's-old-code response. Conspicuously missing was any
    suggestion that the problem would ever be fixed. (But, optimists may be
    encouraged, in that there was also no promise never to fix it.)

    In any case, future Info-ZIP source kits should contain only ".RNH",
    not ".rnh", files. Be sure to complain if you see a policy violation
    after now.

    SMS.

  2. Re: Amazing RUNOFF defect?

    In article <07121214321866_202647DE@antinode.org>,
    sms@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:

    > From: "P. Sture"
    >
    > > In article <07120600562608_202002AB@antinode.org>,
    > > sms@antinode-org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Directory ALP$DKA0:[SMS.RUNOFF]
    > > >
    > > > LC.MEM;1 142 <--- Hmmm.
    > > > UC.MEM;1 138 <---
    > > > VMS_ZIP.RNH;1 131

    > > Duplicated on another .RNH file here. The resulting .MEM has page
    > > numbers and form feeds, hence the larger size.
    > >
    > > The setting of SET PROCESS/PARSE doesn't make any difference here.
    > >
    > > This on Alpha V8.3.

    > It's a trend. I submitted a "product business feedback" complaint to
    > HP (http://h71000.www7.hp.com/fb_business.html), and got a
    > thanks-but-it's-old-code response. Conspicuously missing was any
    > suggestion that the problem would ever be fixed. (But, optimists may be
    > encouraged, in that there was also no promise never to fix it.)

    A few memories stirred since I made my post...

    Thinking back to about 1985, when I first discovered how to use RUNOFF
    for help files, I was surprised that it relied on the file type instead
    of having a qualifier (c/f LIBRARY/HELP).

    Dumping RUNOFF.EXE reveals arrays containing RUNOFF recognized
    filetypes, in uppercase of course, so would not be surprised to find
    that a proper solution also had to address the other file types. IOW
    substantially more work than fixing only the .rnh issue.

    > In any case, future Info-ZIP source kits should contain only ".RNH",
    > not ".rnh", files. Be sure to complain if you see a policy violation
    > after now.

    Noted, but I'll add that in the light of my previous paragraph, beware
    of other file types too.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks: