RAD_SUPPORT on a non-Galaxy GS1280? - VMS

This is a discussion on RAD_SUPPORT on a non-Galaxy GS1280? - VMS ; Note: this message also posted to ITRC... I've inherited a 4-node VMScluster consisting of a pair of GS1280's hard-partitioned into 2 nodes each, running VMS 7.3-2. We are not running in a Galaxy configuration and don't have a Galaxy license ...

  1. RAD_SUPPORT on a non-Galaxy GS1280?

    Note: this message also posted to ITRC...

    I've inherited a 4-node VMScluster consisting of
    a pair of GS1280's hard-partitioned into 2 nodes
    each, running VMS 7.3-2. We are not running in a
    Galaxy configuration and don't have a Galaxy
    license loaded. We're no more than 6 months out
    of date on ECOs.

    In going through a series of Autogen's in
    preparation for a cluster reboot this weekend,
    I discovered that the SYSGEN parameter
    RAD_SUPPORT changed from 0 (zero) to 207
    (%x00CF). Having not previously encountered
    this parameter before, I reviewed the Help
    Sys_Parameters for RAD_SUPPORT, and would like
    to know a couple of things:

    1) The Help entry says a value of 79 is the
    default, but SYSGEN shows the default as
    207, which is basically setting bit 7,
    marked as reserved to HP. Does anyone
    know why this would be a problem?

    2) More importantly, what is the effect of
    a non-zero RAD_SUPPORT on systems that aren't
    configured as a Galaxy? In particular, is it
    a "bad" thing to have this set to the SYSGEN
    default? Do we stand to gain in performance
    with the default?

    Any advise or insights would be most welcome!

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  2. Re: RAD_SUPPORT on a non-Galaxy GS1280?

    On ITRC, the answer was to leave RAD_SUPPORT at its default
    value and not worry about it. Furthermore, apparently GS1280's
    (EV7) are far less sensitive to RAD/NUMA issues than the
    earlier Wildfire (EV6) systems were, and having RAD_SUPPORT
    enabled or not probably isn't noticeable.

    Being new to this class of machine, I'm taking the (expert)
    responders at their word. :-)

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  3. Re: RAD_SUPPORT on a non-Galaxy GS1280?

    Just to make sure everybody knows how ignorant I am:

    How is an AS1280 partitioned without galaxy? I did some of this on
    AS8400s.
    I can imagine simply seeting the console galaxy parameters but leave
    the sysgen parameter alone...

    Sean

    On Dec 11, 2:54 pm, Ken.Fairfi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On ITRC, the answer was to leave RAD_SUPPORT at its default
    > value and not worry about it. Furthermore, apparently GS1280's
    > (EV7) are far less sensitive to RAD/NUMA issues than the
    > earlier Wildfire (EV6) systems were, and having RAD_SUPPORT
    > enabled or not probably isn't noticeable.
    >
    > Being new to this class of machine, I'm taking the (expert)
    > responders at their word. :-)
    >
    > Thanks, Ken
    > --
    > Ken & Ann Fairfield
    > What: Ken dot And dot Ann
    > Where: Gmail dot Com

  4. Re: RAD_SUPPORT on a non-Galaxy GS1280?

    You can partition a 1280 with just hard partitions without any shared memory
    and without the ability to swap CPUs around. It behaves just as if it were
    two (or more) separate boxes, but in a common physical package with common
    power. Just like hard partitioning an Integrity Server box in a way.

    Galaxy (an Alpha only feature that needs firmware help from the underlying
    physical box) gives the ability to have common memory (typically used for
    global sections, DECram devices, shared-memory cluster interconnect [a
    pseudo-LAN device] etc.) and the ability to dynamically reassign CPUs
    between soft partitions within the hard partition. Each OS instance within
    the "Galaxy" runs in a soft partition annd the instances are generally
    clustered together (but don't have to be).

    As for the GS1280 and RADs - don't worry about it. The NUMA effects on a
    Marvel system aren't worth the effort of worrying about them - the memory
    latency across the box doesn't vary too much, unlike the Wildfire boxes
    where it does matter - if that's the kind of workload you've got.

    --
    Cheers, Colin.
    Legacy = Stuff that works properly!

+ Reply to Thread