Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha? - VMS

This is a discussion on Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha? - VMS ; Hello, what is necessary to get ANU-NEWS compiled on an Alpha under OpenVMS 7.3-2 for Multinet? I assume it is best to compile it for TCPIP services and use Multinet's UCX emulation. But with NNTP_XMIT I get lots of "undefined" ...

  1. Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    Hello,

    what is necessary to get ANU-NEWS compiled on an Alpha under OpenVMS 7.3-2
    for Multinet? I assume it is best to compile it for TCPIP services and use
    Multinet's UCX emulation. But with NNTP_XMIT I get lots of "undefined" errors
    of the form "INET$something is not declared". Thus, has anybody succeeded in
    compiling this old software?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  2. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > what is necessary to get ANU-NEWS compiled on an Alpha under OpenVMS 7.3-2
    > for Multinet? I assume it is best to compile it for TCPIP services and use
    > Multinet's UCX emulation. But with NNTP_XMIT I get lots of "undefined" errors
    > of the form "INET$something is not declared". Thus, has anybody succeeded in
    > compiling this old software?

    I last built ANU-NEWS (V6.2.0) on Alpha with Multinet under VMS V7.1.
    Your best bet is to compile it directly against Multinet. That is what
    I did. The resulting image still works fine under OpenVMS V8.2 with
    Multinet V5.1.

    If you plan to use it against an NNTP server with a large number of
    groups (e.g. 18,000), you will need a patch which I can provide.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  3. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >I last built ANU-NEWS (V6.2.0) on Alpha with Multinet under VMS V7.1.
    >Your best bet is to compile it directly against Multinet.

    This produced more errors than the compile against UCX.

    >That is what I did.

    Here I get:

    $ cc/nodebug/opt NEWSREMCLIENT

    u_long s_addr;
    ................^
    %CC-E-BADMEMBER, Invalid member declaration.
    at line number 70 in file MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT:[MULTINET.INCLUDE.NETINET]IN.H;8

    __in_addr_t htonl (__in_addr_t);
    .................^
    %CC-E-NOTCOMPAT, In this declaration, the type of "multinet_htonl" is not
    compat
    ible with the type of a previous declaration of "multinet_htonl" at line number
    296 in file MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT:[MULTINET.INCLUDE.SYS]SOCKET.H;9.
    at line number 375 in module IN of text library
    SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DECC$RTLDEF.T
    LB;1

    __in_addr_t ntohl (__in_addr_t);
    .................^
    %CC-E-NOTCOMPAT, In this declaration, the type of "multinet_ntohl" is not
    compat
    ible with the type of a previous declaration of "multinet_ntohl" at line number
    297 in file MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT:[MULTINET.INCLUDE.SYS]SOCKET.H;9.
    at line number 377 in module IN of text library
    SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DECC$RTLDEF.T
    LB;1

    struct in_addr {
    ^
    %CC-E-REDEFSTRUCT, In this declaration, the struct "in_addr" is redefined.
    at line number 69 in file MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT:[MULTINET.INCLUDE.NETINET]IN.H;8

    struct sockaddr_in {
    ^
    %CC-E-REDEFSTRUCT, In this declaration, the struct "sockaddr_in" is redefined.
    at line number 120 in file
    MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT:[MULTINET.INCLUDE.NETINET]IN.H;8

    struct ip_mreq {
    ^
    %CC-E-REDEFSTRUCT, In this declaration, the struct "ip_mreq" is redefined.
    at line number 144 in file
    MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT:[MULTINET.INCLUDE.NETINET]IN.H;8

    >If you plan to use it against an NNTP server with a large number of
    >groups (e.g. 18,000), you will need a patch which I can provide.

    No, I have only a few groups but no working server anymore :-(

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  4. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > what is necessary to get ANU-NEWS compiled on an Alpha under OpenVMS 7.3-2
    > for Multinet? I assume it is best to compile it for TCPIP services and use
    > Multinet's UCX emulation. But with NNTP_XMIT I get lots of "undefined" errors
    > of the form "INET$something is not declared". Thus, has anybody succeeded in
    > compiling this old software?

    I did some looking around and found this:

    From: sloane@UKANS.EDU (Sloane, Robert Raymond)
    Subject: V6.2.1 available
    Date: 7 Feb 00 22:36:24 GMT

    Hi All,

    I am sorry this took so long, but I have put together a new version
    of ANU news (V6.2.1) which corrects the Y2K problems seen in V6.2.0.
    It is available via anonymous ftp from kuhub.cc.ukans.edu.

    There are still some problems to be worked out. The TCPIP code will
    not compile on this version when using the MULTINET protocol because
    of problems in the Multinet header files. If you run MULTINET, you
    can build NEWS.EXE using UCXSOCKETS and it seems to work OK. The two
    programs NNTP_XMIT and NNTP_XFER will not compile correctly under
    UCXSOCKETS, so for you MULTINET users, use the .EXE files from the
    NEWS_V621_DIST.ZIP file. You can avoid the stopping the NEWSBUILD
    procedure for UCXSOCKETS by creating dummy NNTP_XMIT.OBJ and
    NNTP_XFER.EXE files in the appropriate directories after unpacking
    the .ZIP file but before running NEWSBUILD. Just do something like:

    $ SET DEFAULT [.NEWS_SRC]
    $ COPY NL: [-.NEWS_BUILD]NNTP_XFER.OBJ
    $ COPY NL: [-.NEWS_DIST]NNTP_XMIT.OBJ
    $ COPY NL: [-.NEWS_BUILD]NNTP_XFER.EXE
    $ COPY NL: [-.NEWS_DIST]NNTP_XMIT.EXE

    and NEWSBUILD should think that they are already up to date.
    --
    Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
    sloane@ukans.edu http://www.ukans.edu/home/sloane Phone785)864-0444

    If you just want the news client, then you don't need NNTP_XMIT or
    NNTP_XFER.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  5. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    > In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >>I last built ANU-NEWS (V6.2.0) on Alpha with Multinet under VMS V7.1.
    >>Your best bet is to compile it directly against Multinet.

    > This produced more errors than the compile against UCX.

    > __in_addr_t htonl (__in_addr_t);
    > ................^
    > %CC-E-NOTCOMPAT, In this declaration, the type of "multinet_htonl" is not
    > compat
    > ible with the type of a previous declaration of "multinet_htonl" at line number
    > 296 in file MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT:[MULTINET.INCLUDE.SYS]SOCKET.H;9.
    > at line number 375 in module IN of text library
    > SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DECC$RTLDEF.T
    > LB;1

    That brings back unpleasant memories. In the early years of supporting
    Mosaic on VMS, it was a constant struggle to keep the build working
    because DEC C and Multinet were constantly changing their header files
    in incompatible ways. I probably just got lucky (or did some hacking)
    with the particular DEC C and Multinet versions I last built ANU-NEWS with.

    If you need it just for reading news via NNTP, I have a NEWS.EXE for
    Alpha built on 7.1 which I could put out for ftp.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  6. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >That brings back unpleasant memories. In the early years of supporting
    >Mosaic on VMS, it was a constant struggle to keep the build working
    >because DEC C and Multinet were constantly changing their header files
    >in incompatible ways. I probably just got lucky (or did some hacking)
    >with the particular DEC C and Multinet versions I last built ANU-NEWS with.

    Finally I have ANUNEWS for Multinet compiled and working. From what I found
    so far:
    - Process Software says that one should use HP's header files and that they
    no longer maintain their own header files. With this in mind, I removed
    a few includes from the Multinet header files and came a big step further.
    - I had to comment out a few constants in UAF.H.
    - I had to modify NEWSBUILD.COM to have three modules compiled with
    /ASSUME=NOALIGN
    - I realized that DECNET is necessary in order to have NEWS add batch
    files.
    So the only thing left are a few warnings in NNTP_TCPUCXM.C, all like
    the following:

    memcpyv(t->write_buffer + write_buffer_len, b->line, len);
    .........^
    %CC-W-NOTVOLQUAL, In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value
    "t->write_buffer+write_buffer_len" is volatile, but the referenced type of the
    target of this assignment is not.

    I don't think that this will cause problems. But if anybody knows how to fix
    this, I am interested ;-)

    In addition, I wouldn't mind if there were a way to have ANUNEWS working
    without DECNET.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  7. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    > In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >>That brings back unpleasant memories. In the early years of supporting
    >>Mosaic on VMS, it was a constant struggle to keep the build working
    >>because DEC C and Multinet were constantly changing their header files
    >>in incompatible ways. I probably just got lucky (or did some hacking)
    >>with the particular DEC C and Multinet versions I last built ANU-NEWS with.

    > Finally I have ANUNEWS for Multinet compiled and working. From what I found
    > so far:
    > - Process Software says that one should use HP's header files and that they
    > no longer maintain their own header files. With this in mind, I removed
    > a few includes from the Multinet header files and came a big step further.
    > - I had to comment out a few constants in UAF.H.
    > - I had to modify NEWSBUILD.COM to have three modules compiled with
    > /ASSUME=NOALIGN
    > - I realized that DECNET is necessary in order to have NEWS add batch
    > files.
    > So the only thing left are a few warnings in NNTP_TCPUCXM.C, all like
    > the following:
    >
    > memcpyv(t->write_buffer + write_buffer_len, b->line, len);
    > ........^
    > %CC-W-NOTVOLQUAL, In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value
    > "t->write_buffer+write_buffer_len" is volatile, but the referenced type of the
    > target of this assignment is not.
    >
    > I don't think that this will cause problems. But if anybody knows how to fix
    > this, I am interested ;-)

    The following change will stop the warnings:

    ************
    File S4:[ANUNEWS.NEWS_SRC]NNTP_TCPUCXM.C;2
    351 #define memcpyv(s1,s2,n) memcpy((void *)(s1), (void *)(s2),n)
    352 #define memmovev(s1,s2,n) memmove((void *)(s1), (char *)s2, n)
    353 #define memchrv(s,c,n) memchr((char *)s, c, n)
    ******
    File S4:[ANUNEWS.NEWS_SRC]NNTP_TCPUCXM.C;1
    351 #define memcpyv(s1,s2,n) memcpy(s1,s2,n)
    352 #define memmovev(s1,s2,n) memmove(s1, (char *)s2, n)
    353 #define memchrv(s,c,n) memchr((char *)s, c, n)

    > In addition, I wouldn't mind if there were a way to have ANUNEWS working
    > without DECNET.

    I am not sure what you mean about needing DECNET. Please give some
    more details.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  8. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article <5MhW2Rx$9UkD@wvnvms>, cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >The following change will stop the warnings:
    >
    >************
    >File S4:[ANUNEWS.NEWS_SRC]NNTP_TCPUCXM.C;2
    > 351 #define memcpyv(s1,s2,n) memcpy((void *)(s1), (void *)(s2),n)
    > 352 #define memmovev(s1,s2,n) memmove((void *)(s1), (char *)s2, n)
    > 353 #define memchrv(s,c,n) memchr((char *)s, c, n)
    >******
    >File S4:[ANUNEWS.NEWS_SRC]NNTP_TCPUCXM.C;1
    > 351 #define memcpyv(s1,s2,n) memcpy(s1,s2,n)
    > 352 #define memmovev(s1,s2,n) memmove(s1, (char *)s2, n)
    > 353 #define memchrv(s,c,n) memchr((char *)s, c, n)

    Thank you very much.

    >> In addition, I wouldn't mind if there were a way to have ANUNEWS working
    >> without DECNET.

    >I am not sure what you mean about needing DECNET. Please give some
    >more details.

    After the successfull compile the .BATCH files started arriving, but starting
    NEWS from within the NEWSMGR account showed, that an ADD/BATCH command did
    simply nothing - no error, no processing, simply the NEWS> prompt returned.
    The next thing I noticed was that NEWSMGR could no longer see the "control"
    newsgroup. When I removed the ACCESS.NEWS file, the control group became
    accessible again. The third phenomen was, that a new NEWSRC. file was required.
    After quite some debugging I noticed that NEWS program didn't realize when
    it was running on the local host and hence used the username "nntp" instead of
    "NEWSMGR". Of course, "nntp" has no privilege to add batchfiles or access the
    control group. When DECNET is running a NEWSRC. is automatically created,
    without DECNET one has to answer questions for this file.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  9. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    > In article <5MhW2Rx$9UkD@wvnvms>, cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >>The following change will stop the warnings:
    >>
    >>************
    >>File S4:[ANUNEWS.NEWS_SRC]NNTP_TCPUCXM.C;2
    >> 351 #define memcpyv(s1,s2,n) memcpy((void *)(s1), (void *)(s2),n)
    >> 352 #define memmovev(s1,s2,n) memmove((void *)(s1), (char *)s2, n)
    >> 353 #define memchrv(s,c,n) memchr((char *)s, c, n)
    >>******
    >>File S4:[ANUNEWS.NEWS_SRC]NNTP_TCPUCXM.C;1
    >> 351 #define memcpyv(s1,s2,n) memcpy(s1,s2,n)
    >> 352 #define memmovev(s1,s2,n) memmove(s1, (char *)s2, n)
    >> 353 #define memchrv(s,c,n) memchr((char *)s, c, n)

    > Thank you very much.
    >
    >>> In addition, I wouldn't mind if there were a way to have ANUNEWS working
    >>> without DECNET.

    >>I am not sure what you mean about needing DECNET. Please give some
    >>more details.

    > After the successfull compile the .BATCH files started arriving, but starting
    > NEWS from within the NEWSMGR account showed, that an ADD/BATCH command did
    > simply nothing - no error, no processing, simply the NEWS> prompt returned.
    > The next thing I noticed was that NEWSMGR could no longer see the "control"
    > newsgroup. When I removed the ACCESS.NEWS file, the control group became
    > accessible again. The third phenomen was, that a new NEWSRC. file was required.
    > After quite some debugging I noticed that NEWS program didn't realize when
    > it was running on the local host and hence used the username "nntp" instead of
    > "NEWSMGR". Of course, "nntp" has no privilege to add batchfiles or access the
    > control group. When DECNET is running a NEWSRC. is automatically created,
    > without DECNET one has to answer questions for this file.

    If the logical NEWS_ROOT is defined and neither /NETSERVER or
    /NETPROTOCOL is given on the NEWS command, it should default to
    accessing the local files directly? Does the NEWSMGR account have
    the identifier specified by the logical NEWS_MGR_ID? Does the
    NEWSMGR's NEWSRC. file have

    PROFILE
    NEWREGISTER=none

    at the end? This will prevent the new group questions?

    George Cook
    WVNET

  10. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >If the logical NEWS_ROOT is defined and neither /NETSERVER or
    >/NETPROTOCOL is given on the NEWS command, it should default to
    >accessing the local files directly?

    Here it does not. NEWS_ROOT is defined.

    >Does the NEWSMGR account have the identifier specified by the logical
    >NEWS_MGR_ID?

    Yes, it does.

    >Does the NEWSMGR's NEWSRC. file have
    >PROFILE
    >NEWREGISTER=none
    >
    >at the end?

    This is not the case.

    >This will prevent the new group questions?

    The new group question aren't a problem. If there is no DECNET and no NEWSRC
    NEWS asks for the protocol (DECNET or TCP) and for the host to connect to. If
    DECNET is running NEWS will create NEWSRC automatically.

    Will NEWS/NONETSERVER allow to run NEWS without DECNET?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  11. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    > In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >>If the logical NEWS_ROOT is defined and neither /NETSERVER or
    >>/NETPROTOCOL is given on the NEWS command, it should default to
    >>accessing the local files directly?

    > Here it does not. NEWS_ROOT is defined.
    >
    >>Does the NEWSMGR account have the identifier specified by the logical
    >>NEWS_MGR_ID?

    > Yes, it does.
    >
    >>Does the NEWSMGR's NEWSRC. file have
    >>PROFILE
    >>NEWREGISTER=none
    >>
    >>at the end?

    > This is not the case.
    >
    >>This will prevent the new group questions?

    > The new group question aren't a problem. If there is no DECNET and no NEWSRC
    > NEWS asks for the protocol (DECNET or TCP) and for the host to connect to. If
    > DECNET is running NEWS will create NEWSRC automatically.

    I do not understand the problem. NEWSRC only needs created once. What
    is the problem once it has been created?

    The first line of NEWSRC. determines what protocol should be used.
    The first line for non-nntp access should start with a zero followed
    by the current news group, article number and "^1". For example:

    0 comp.os.vms 416926^1

    If the line starts with ~ and a host name, then it will use NNTP unless
    overriden by /NETSERVER or /NETPROTOCOL.

    > Will NEWS/NONETSERVER allow to run NEWS without DECNET?

    It appears from a quick look at the code, that the behavior will change
    in some way, but without a detailed look, I am not sure what all will
    change other than it will probably overide any nntp setting on the first
    line of NEWSRC.

    George Cook
    WVNET

  12. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , cook@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (George Cook) writes:
    >In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    >> The new group question aren't a problem. If there is no DECNET and no NEWSRC
    >> NEWS asks for the protocol (DECNET or TCP) and for the host to connect to. If
    >> DECNET is running NEWS will create NEWSRC automatically.

    >I do not understand the problem. NEWSRC only needs created once. What
    >is the problem once it has been created?

    NEWS didn't start until I removed the NEWSRC. Then it asked for the protocol
    and the server.

    >The first line of NEWSRC. determines what protocol should be used.

    This was DECNET. ANUNEWS was running on an old MicroVAX before I moved it
    to an Alpha.

    >> Will NEWS/NONETSERVER allow to run NEWS without DECNET?

    >It appears from a quick look at the code, that the behavior will change
    >in some way, but without a detailed look, I am not sure what all will
    >change other than it will probably overide any nntp setting on the first
    >line of NEWSRC.

    I'll simply test this. I wasn't aware of these qualifiers of the NEWS command.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  13. Re: Compiling ANU-NEWS on Alpha?

    In article , gartmann@nonsense.immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:
    >>> Will NEWS/NONETSERVER allow to run NEWS without DECNET?

    >>It appears from a quick look at the code, that the behavior will change
    >>in some way, but without a detailed look, I am not sure what all will
    >>change other than it will probably overide any nntp setting on the first
    >>line of NEWSRC.

    >I'll simply test this. I wasn't aware of these qualifiers of the NEWS command.

    In fact, on a node without DECNET, starting NEWS with /NONETSERVER NEWSMGR was
    able to see the control group and was able to add batchfiles. Even the existing
    NEWSRC with DECNET didn't bother the program.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany