DE500 failure, looking for advice - VMS

This is a discussion on DE500 failure, looking for advice - VMS ; Good morning, yesterday I switched on my AlphaServer 800 5/500 and tried to set up an Xwindows session. It failed, and pinging the system didn't work either. The system was unreachable on all three protocols (DECnet phase V, IP and ...

  1. DE500 failure, looking for advice

    Good morning, yesterday I switched on my AlphaServer 800 5/500 and
    tried to set up an Xwindows session. It failed, and pinging the system
    didn't work either. The system was unreachable on all three protocols
    (DECnet phase V, IP and LAT). This system usually runs Tru64 V5.0A (it
    is my only unix box, ok) and I have no clue how its diagnostics work.
    Provided there are any other than ifconfig. Anyway, I swapped its
    disks and booted VMS which I understand a little better and runs
    DECnet phase IV.
    Conclusion: the DE500 is dead. I'm not sure whether it is the DE500-FA
    listed in the Systems&Options Guide, it may very well be a DE500-BA. I
    haven't opened the system yet, that'll have to wait until Wednesday.
    Two questions:
    - can I use a DE600 instead of a DE500?
    - if so, do I need to reinstall Tru64 (which I rather didn't since
    it's a royal pain?
    Thanks
    Hans

  2. Re: DE500 failure, looking for advice

    Hi Hans,

    > Two questions:
    > - can I use a DE600 instead of a DE500?

    I'd get a DE602; they run around USD 20 + shipping on EBay.

    > - if so, do I need to reinstall Tru64 (which I rather didn't since
    > it's a royal pain?

    For VMS, you will see the device letter change from EWA0 to EIA0
    and EIB0. I haven't a clue about four-letter OS.

    You could also consider a Gigabit interface like a DEGXA.

    Carl

  3. Re: DE500 failure, looking for advice

    I didn't think the DE600 worked on the AS800
    We have the DE500-BA for $50

    DT

    --
    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    T: 877-6364332 x201
    Intl: 001 912 447 6622
    E: dturner@islandco.com
    F: 912 201 0402
    W: http://www.islandco.com

    which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
    privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
    of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
    this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
    computers.

    "Carl Friedberg" wrote in message
    news:890539d90712110534p40bf24c7wa314eb143cb6f26f@ mail.gmail.com...
    > Hi Hans,
    >
    >> Two questions:
    >> - can I use a DE600 instead of a DE500?

    > I'd get a DE602; they run around USD 20 + shipping on EBay.
    >

    >> - if so, do I need to reinstall Tru64 (which I rather didn't since
    >> it's a royal pain?

    > For VMS, you will see the device letter change from EWA0 to EIA0
    > and EIB0. I haven't a clue about four-letter OS.
    >
    > You could also consider a Gigabit interface like a DEGXA.
    >
    > Carl

  4. Re: DE500 failure, looking for advice

    > Hi Hans,
    >
    >> Two questions:
    >> - can I use a DE600 instead of a DE500?

    > I'd get a DE602; they run around USD 20 + shipping on EBay.
    >

    >> - if so, do I need to reinstall Tru64 (which I rather didn't since
    >> it's a royal pain?

    I'm not sure if there is a better news group where you can ask
    Tru64 questions: you might try the HP web pages, I'm sure there
    are pointers to Tru64.

    However: in my limited experience, you should not have to
    reinstall Tru64 just to change the type of Ethernet adaptor. You
    should be able to make the configuration change in QuickInstall
    or SYSMAN.

    --
    B. Z. Lederman. My personal opinions.

  5. RE: DE500 failure, looking for advice

    I have a DE600 working in my Digital Server 3305.

    From the Alphaserver 800 5.8 Firmware update release notes:

    "(Alphaserver 800 and Digital Server 3300 ONLY) Console has boot support for the DE600-AA, DE600-FA, DE602-AA Ethernet cards. These cards use the Intel 82559 Ethernet chip. Note that non-Compaq Ethernet cards which use either the 82558 or 82559 Ethernet chip will be recognized from SRM console [a]s "Intel 8255x Ethernet" cards. Note the DE600 cards are translated to Compaq Product names as follows. Refer to: http://www.compaq.com/products/netwo...ics/index.html

    DE600-AA = DE602-AA = DE602-TA = DE602-FA =
    NC3123 NC3131 NC3132 NC3133

    ________________________________

    I didn't think the DE600 worked on the AS800
    We have the DE500-BA for $50

    DT

    --
    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp
    2700 Gregory St, Suite 180
    Savannah GA 31404

    T: 877-6364332 x201
    Intl: 001 912 447 6622
    E: dturner@islandco.com
    F: 912 201 0402
    W: http://www.islandco.com

    which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
    privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
    of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
    this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
    computers.

    "Carl Friedberg" wrote in message
    news:890539d90712110534p40bf24c7wa314eb143cb6f26f@ mail.gmail.com...
    > Hi Hans,
    >
    >> Two questions:
    >> - can I use a DE600 instead of a DE500?

    > I'd get a DE602; they run around USD 20 + shipping on EBay.
    >

    >> - if so, do I need to reinstall Tru64 (which I rather didn't since
    >> it's a royal pain?

    > For VMS, you will see the device letter change from EWA0 to EIA0
    > and EIB0. I haven't a clue about four-letter OS.
    >
    > You could also consider a Gigabit interface like a DEGXA.
    >
    > Carl

  6. Re: DE500 failure, looking for advice

    H Vlems wrote:
    > Good morning, yesterday I switched on my AlphaServer 800 5/500 and
    > tried to set up an Xwindows session. It failed, and pinging the system
    > didn't work either. The system was unreachable on all three protocols
    > (DECnet phase V, IP and LAT). This system usually runs Tru64 V5.0A (it
    > is my only unix box, ok) and I have no clue how its diagnostics work.
    > Provided there are any other than ifconfig. Anyway, I swapped its
    > disks and booted VMS which I understand a little better and runs
    > DECnet phase IV.
    > Conclusion: the DE500 is dead. I'm not sure whether it is the DE500-FA
    > listed in the Systems&Options Guide, it may very well be a DE500-BA. I
    > haven't opened the system yet, that'll have to wait until Wednesday.
    > Two questions:
    > - can I use a DE600 instead of a DE500?
    > - if so, do I need to reinstall Tru64 (which I rather didn't since
    > it's a royal pain?
    > Thanks
    > Hans

    Quick answer:

    First question:
    Yes, you can use DE60x instead of DE500. How you configure it depends
    somewhat on which Tru64 version (V4.x or V5.x) you are doing it.
    If you can tell more about that, then I can give you a more detailed answer.

    Second question:
    No, a reinstall is absolutely not needed. Only a reconfiguration.

    Btw. The DE500-FA is an adapter with a fiber optic interface. The
    DE500-AA/AX/BA's have a twisted pair interface.

    Regards,

    Kari

  7. Re: DE500 failure, looking for advice

    news to me
    learn something old every day

    dt

    --
    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp
    2700 Gregory St, Suite 180
    Savannah GA 31404

    T: 877-6364332 x201
    Intl: 001 912 447 6622
    E: dturner@islandco.com
    F: 912 201 0402
    W: http://www.islandco.com

    which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
    privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
    of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
    this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
    computers.

    "Ebinger . Eric" wrote in message
    news:B3C98F093EDF2146ADB62CDBD5B7FB060FEC97@andexc h01.drc.com...
    I have a DE600 working in my Digital Server 3305.

    From the Alphaserver 800 5.8 Firmware update release notes:

+ Reply to Thread