DECwindows defaults when display is on another system - VMS

This is a discussion on DECwindows defaults when display is on another system - VMS ; From different accounts on VMS, including one which has not used decwindows before: $MC DECW$MAIL $SET DISP/CREATE/TRANSPORT=TCPIP/NODE= $MC DECW$MAIL In the first instance, I get the desired colours. That workstation's window manager's colours for window decorations, and black on white ...

  1. DECwindows defaults when display is on another system

    From different accounts on VMS, including one which has not used
    decwindows before:

    $MC DECW$MAIL

    $SET DISP/CREATE/TRANSPORT=TCPIP/NODE=
    $MC DECW$MAIL

    In the first instance, I get the desired colours. That workstation's
    window manager's colours for window decorations, and black on white for
    the menu bar as well as main window pane.

    In the second instance, I get the Mac's window decorations (as
    expected). But inside the window, the menu bar is black on blue, and the
    main pane is also black on blue.

    CREATE/TERM also has the black/blue menu bar, but normal black/white
    main pane.

    AKA: those colours are not tied to just one application, not tied to a
    single user.

    Those apps are runned from the $ so no session manager involved. No CDE
    running.

    So it points to some common file being read which sets that background
    to blue, and when targetted to that workstation, is overriden by a
    resource in the window manager.

    Would that be a correct assumption ?

    doing a SET WATCH FILE while starting decw$mail shows only DECW$MAIL.DAT
    being searched. There are a couple of I8N.LOCALE files, SYSUAF.DAT etc
    (and MAIL.DAT, of course).

    The DECW$MAIL.DAT file doesn't contain any colour definitions. (besides,
    that colour isn't tied to a specific application).

    There are a gazillion .L_PM and .PM files in some CDE directory.

    Could that blue have been defined by CDE when I toyed with it and apps
    still pick it up ? If so, how do I know which fil to look for in the CDE
    directories ?

    Any other hints on what to look for to find the file guilty of setting
    that blue background when output is targetted at a different machine ?

    Local X apps on the Macintosho don't display blue stuff, so it wouldn't
    be any defaults on the mac that did this. Besides, I had seen that blue
    before.

  2. Re: DECwindows defaults when display is on another system

    On Dec 10, 8:24 am, JF Mezei wrote:
    > From different accounts on VMS, including one which has not used
    > decwindows before:
    >
    > $MC DECW$MAIL
    >

    > $SET DISP/CREATE/TRANSPORT=TCPIP/NODE=
    > $MC DECW$MAIL
    >
    > In the first instance, I get the desired colours. That workstation's
    > window manager's colours for window decorations, and black on white for
    > the menu bar as well as main window pane.
    >
    > In the second instance, I get the Mac's window decorations (as
    > expected). But inside the window, the menu bar is black on blue, and the
    > main pane is also black on blue.
    >
    > CREATE/TERM also has the black/blue menu bar, but normal black/white
    > main pane.
    >
    > AKA: those colours are not tied to just one application, not tied to a
    > single user.
    >
    > Those apps are runned from the $ so no session manager involved. No CDE
    > running.
    >
    > So it points to some common file being read which sets that background
    > to blue, and when targetted to that workstation, is overriden by a
    > resource in the window manager.
    >
    > Would that be a correct assumption ?
    >
    > doing a SET WATCH FILE while starting decw$mail shows only DECW$MAIL.DAT
    > being searched. There are a couple of I8N.LOCALE files, SYSUAF.DAT etc
    > (and MAIL.DAT, of course).
    >
    > The DECW$MAIL.DAT file doesn't contain any colour definitions. (besides,
    > that colour isn't tied to a specific application).
    >
    > There are a gazillion .L_PM and .PM files in some CDE directory.
    >
    > Could that blue have been defined by CDE when I toyed with it and apps
    > still pick it up ? If so, how do I know which fil to look for in the CDE
    > directories ?
    >
    > Any other hints on what to look for to find the file guilty of setting
    > that blue background when output is targetted at a different machine ?
    >
    > Local X apps on the Macintosho don't display blue stuff, so it wouldn't
    > be any defaults on the mac that did this. Besides, I had seen that blue
    > before.

    The X server reads a set of resources from XRESOURCES.DAT under VMS;
    the names are similar but different under flavors of UNIX, perhaps
    including MacOS X. I cannot speak for classic Mac OS X servers. These
    resources can indeed include overrides. Window managers also use local
    copies of resource files, not those read from the client. (In other
    words, both of these are server-side resources -- or, in the case of a
    window manager, whatever machine the window manager is running on,
    which may be client, server, or some other machine. That's where you
    look.)

    If you want to force the colors for DECW$MAIL, do it in DECW$MAIL.DAT;
    don't rely on the server & window manager setup to do the work for you.

+ Reply to Thread