-SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded - VMS

This is a discussion on -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded - VMS ; Hi VMS-Community, I'm new in the World of VMS :-) I've compiled and installed David L. Jones's VMS-Port of SSH-1.5, but I got a "-SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded" in the SSH_SERVER.LOG -- Strange is, when I start in interactive or ...

  1. -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    Hi VMS-Community,

    I'm new in the World of VMS :-)

    I've compiled and installed David L. Jones's VMS-Port of SSH-1.5,
    but I got a "-SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded" in the
    SSH_SERVER.LOG -- Strange is, when I start in interactive or TEST-mode,
    the bootstrap works fine:

    $ @ssh_server_startup test
    main thread: SSH-1.5-OSU_1.5alpha4 server initializing, 8-DEC-2007 17:27:57.72
    main thread: Process initiator startup status: 1 ''
    main thread: rsa_engine startup status: 1
    main thread: Sent key file name to key generator: 1
    main thread: Key generator startup status: 1 pid: 00000234
    main thread: server initialized, port: 22, connection limit: 10
    main thread: New current server context, slot 0 at 8-DEC-2007 17:28:09.70
    [...]

    I can log-in etc. without any problems! Why the SSH Server does not work
    in non-interactive (DETACHed) Mode?

    Any suggestions? :-)

    My settings of SYSTEM in SYSUAF.DAT:

    [...]
    Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 300 Bytlm: 500000
    Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 200 JTquota: 4096
    Prclm: 40 DIOlm: 200 WSdef: 131072
    Prio: 4 ASTlm: 200 WSquo: 532000
    Queprio: 0 TQElm: 30 WSextent: 131072
    CPU: (none) Enqlm: 4000 Pgflquo: 16777216
    [...]

    My MODPARAMS.DAT:

    SCSNODE="SHARKY"
    SCSSYSTEMID=1025
    VAXCLUSTER=0
    ADD_GBLPAGES=10000
    ADD_GBLSECTIONS=100
    ADD_NPAGEDYN=800000
    ADD_NPAGEVIR=800000
    MIN_SPTREQ=6000
    MIN_INTSTKPAGES=12
    MIN_MAXBUF=16384

    I really need help ;-)

    Best regards,
    -Vaxima

    --
    Alexander Horn, Hostmaster (of staff) | OpenVMS rocks! (TM)
    10 Bruckner, Sindelfingen 71065 Germany | Go to http://hp.com/go/openvms/

  2. Re: -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    Alexander Horn writes:

    >I can log-in etc. without any problems! Why the SSH Server does not work
    >in non-interactive (DETACHed) Mode?

    >Any suggestions? :-)

    Check the system's PQL_D* and PQL_M* SYSGEN parameters.

  3. Re: -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    Alexander Horn wrote:
    > Hi VMS-Community,
    >
    > I'm new in the World of VMS :-)
    >
    > I've compiled and installed David L. Jones's VMS-Port of SSH-1.5,
    > but I got a "-SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded" in the
    > SSH_SERVER.LOG -- Strange is, when I start in interactive or TEST-mode,
    > the bootstrap works fine:
    >
    > $ @ssh_server_startup test
    > main thread: SSH-1.5-OSU_1.5alpha4 server initializing, 8-DEC-2007 17:27:57.72
    > main thread: Process initiator startup status: 1 ''
    > main thread: rsa_engine startup status: 1
    > main thread: Sent key file name to key generator: 1
    > main thread: Key generator startup status: 1 pid: 00000234
    > main thread: server initialized, port: 22, connection limit: 10
    > main thread: New current server context, slot 0 at 8-DEC-2007 17:28:09.70
    > [...]
    >
    > I can log-in etc. without any problems! Why the SSH Server does not work
    > in non-interactive (DETACHed) Mode?
    >
    > Any suggestions? :-)
    >
    > My settings of SYSTEM in SYSUAF.DAT:
    >
    > [...]
    > Maxjobs: 0 Fillm: 300 Bytlm: 500000
    > Maxacctjobs: 0 Shrfillm: 0 Pbytlm: 0
    > Maxdetach: 0 BIOlm: 200 JTquota: 4096
    > Prclm: 40 DIOlm: 200 WSdef: 131072
    > Prio: 4 ASTlm: 200 WSquo: 532000
    > Queprio: 0 TQElm: 30 WSextent: 131072
    > CPU: (none) Enqlm: 4000 Pgflquo: 16777216
    > [...]
    >
    > My MODPARAMS.DAT:
    >
    > SCSNODE="SHARKY"
    > SCSSYSTEMID=1025
    > VAXCLUSTER=0
    > ADD_GBLPAGES=10000
    > ADD_GBLSECTIONS=100
    > ADD_NPAGEDYN=800000
    > ADD_NPAGEVIR=800000
    > MIN_SPTREQ=6000
    > MIN_INTSTKPAGES=12
    > MIN_MAXBUF=16384
    >
    > I really need help ;-)
    >
    > Best regards,
    > -Vaxima

    As someone in another forum pointed out to you the other day, the quotas
    for your SYSTEM username look a little weird, particularly in the
    working set area.

    I don't happen to have a VAX around to tell you the defaults, but I
    would suggest setting WSDEF to 1024, WSQUO to 4096, and WSEXTENT to the
    same value as the SYSGEN parameter WSMAX. Use this as a starting point
    and adjust WSDEF and WSQUO upwards if you experience excessive page
    faulting.

    Additionally, PGFLQUO is rather large. At a guess, I'd set it to about
    150000 or thereabouts, depending on the size of your pagefile(s).

    As has been stated elsethread, the quotas that a detached process gets
    do not come from the UAF. They are either specified by the creating
    process, or they default to the SYSGEN quotas PQL_*.

    Having seen the exact error you are experiencing in the other forum, I'd
    hazard a guess that you need to adjust the PQL FILLM quotas up. If it
    works under your SYSTEM account interactively, why not set the PQL
    quotas to the same as in your SYSTEM account?

    These are dynamic parameters, so no need to reboot. Don't forget to add
    them to your MODPARAMS.DAT file.

    HTH
    Jim.
    --
    www.eight-cubed.com

  4. Re: -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    Alexander Horn wrote:

    > I can log-in etc. without any problems! Why the SSH Server does not work
    > in non-interactive (DETACHed) Mode?

    The word "detached" here is important. The way a process is created
    makes a huge difference with its quotas.

    By default, a detached process takes its quotas not from the SYSUAF, but
    from the SYSGEN PQL* parameters.

    You can specify quotas in the RUN command itself, or you can use
    RUN/DETACHED/AUTHORIZE/UIC= which will/should read the quotas from the
    SYSUAF for that UIC.

    Note that for some long standaing never-explained reason,
    RUN/DETACHED/UIC=xxxxx won't actually fully run under that UIC, it will
    still primarily be under the user that issued the RUN command.

    So if you want SYSTEM to be able to start the SSH software running under
    the SSH_ACCOUNT , there are a couple of ways to do it:

    SUBMIT/USER=SSH_ACCOUNT SSH_STARTUP.COM (with SSH_STARTUP doing the
    RUN/DETACHED)

    or use decnet task
    OPEN/READ/WRITE temp 0"SSH_ACCOUNT"::"0=SSH_STARTUP"
    WAIT 00:00:05
    CLOSE TEMP

  5. Re: -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    Hi VMS-Guys,

    in Article <475acbe1@news.arcor-ip.de>, I wrote:

    > [...]
    > I've compiled and installed David L. Jones's VMS-Port of SSH-1.5,
    > but I got a "-SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded" in the
    > SSH_SERVER.LOG -- Strange is, when I start in interactive or TEST-mode,
    > the bootstrap works fine [...]

    I've solved the problem with the following Entries in MODPARAMS.DAT:

    MIN_GBLSECTIONS=600
    MIN_GBLPAGES=27000
    ADD_NPAGEDYN=500000
    ADD_NPAGEVIR=500000
    MIN_INTSTKPAGES=12
    MIN_SPTREQ=6000
    ADD_GBLPAGES=10000
    ADD_GBLSECTIONS=100
    ADD_NPAGEDYN=800000
    ADD_NPAGEVIR=800000
    !
    ! Process Quotas
    !
    MIN_PQL_DPGFLQUOTA=32768
    MIN_PQL_MASTLM=100
    MIN_PQL_MBIOLM=100
    MIN_PQL_MDIOLM=100
    MIN_PQL_MPRCLM=8
    MIN_PQL_MFILLM=100
    MIN_PQL_MBYTLM=40000
    MIN_PQL_MENQLM=200
    MIN_PQL_MWSDEFAULT=512
    MIN_PQL_MWSQUOTA=1024
    MIN_PQL_MWSEXTENT=2048
    [...]

    My

    $ @DUA2:[HOME.VAXIMA.SSH_SERVER]SSH_SERVER_STARTUP.COM

    in VMS-Startup works now! :-)

    The SSH Server operates w/o ANY problems, on very different Installations:
    16 MB, 128 MB, 512 MB Main Memory. (First, a MV3100/m80 -- The rest, all
    KA655X-B simh-VAX Installations)

    Thanks for helping me,
    -Vaxima

    --
    Alexander Horn, Hostmaster (of staff) | OpenVMS (TM) rocks!
    10 Bruckner, Sindelfingen 71065 Germany | http://www.marway.org/
    eMail: vaxima@marway.org | Trouble w/ Windows? Reboot!
    vaxima@openvms-rocks.com | Trouble w/ UNIX? Be root!
    vaxima@vaxima.net | $ TELNET to [85.214.95.107] ...

  6. Re: -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    Congratulations!

    Two questions:

    1. Can you do X-Window port forwarding with this version of SSH?
    2. Can you post a binary package for OpenVMS VAX?

    Thanks,

    Mark.

  7. Re: -SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, process quota exceeded

    Hi Mark,

    In de.comp.os.vms urbancamo you wrote:

    > Congratulations!
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. Can you do X-Window port forwarding with this version of SSH?

    Not "tested" yet :-)

    > 2. Can you post a binary package for OpenVMS VAX?

    You can ``FTP-it'' (OpenVMS VAX binaries included) from:

    FTP vril.marway.org:/pub/openvms/vax/ssh:

    vril:/home/ftp/pub/openvms/vax/ssh# ls -l
    total 7984
    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxima vaxima 9616 Dec 12 11:42 README
    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxima vaxima 9616 Dec 12 11:43 README.TXT
    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxima vaxima 5128704 Dec 12 11:04 SSH_SERVER.BCK
    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxima vaxima 751782 Dec 12 10:58 SSH_SERVER.ZIP
    drwxr-xr-x 2 vaxima vaxima 8192 Dec 12 11:11 files
    drwxr-xr-x 3 vaxima vaxima 4096 Dec 12 11:35 openssl
    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxima vaxima 849920 Dec 12 10:58 ssh_server.tar
    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxima vaxima 717528 Dec 12 10:58 ssh_server.tar.bz2
    -rw-r--r-- 1 vaxima vaxima 650792 Dec 12 10:58 ssh_server.tar.gz

    Also, I've included the single files in subdirectory "files"...

    Regards,
    -Vaxima (VMS-User since 1983 :-)

    --
    Alexander Horn, Hostmaster (of staff) | OpenVMS (TM) rocks!
    10 Bruckner, Sindelfingen 71065 Germany | http://www.openvms.org/
    eMail: vaxima@marway.org | Trouble w/ Windows? Reboot!
    vaxima@openvms-rocks.com | Trouble w/ UNIX? Be root!

+ Reply to Thread