DOSD - AUTOGEN doesn't create the DOSD sysdump.dmp file - VMS

This is a discussion on DOSD - AUTOGEN doesn't create the DOSD sysdump.dmp file - VMS ; Environment: VMS V8.3 Alpha The system manager's manual states that AUTOGEN will create the DOSD system dump file. AUTOGEN help states that this creation will take place during the GENFILES phase. Here is the relevant AUTOGEN output: Calculations for page, ...

  1. DOSD - AUTOGEN doesn't create the DOSD sysdump.dmp file

    Environment:
    VMS V8.3 Alpha

    The system manager's manual states that AUTOGEN will create the DOSD
    system dump file. AUTOGEN help states that this creation will take
    place during the GENFILES phase. Here is the relevant AUTOGEN output:

    Calculations for page, swap, and dump files.

    Errorlog dumpfile calculations:

    No errorlog dump file modifications should be made.
    Errorlog dumpfile will remain at 42 blocks.

    Dump file calculations:

    Current dump file is $1$DKB400:[SYS0.SYSEXE]sysdump.dmp
    This file does not now exist.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    No dump file modifications should be made.
    Dumpfile on device $1$DKB400: will remain at 0 blocks.

    For crash dumps to be written to dump files off the system disk,
    the console environment variable DUMP_DEV must be set equal to
    DUMPFILE_DEVICE ($1$DKB400 as specified in MODPARAMS.DAT.

    Also, the DUMPSTYLE parameter must have bit 2 set.

    WARNING: CONSOLE DEVICE NAMES DO NOT ALWAYS MATCH VMS NAMES!

    So, it seems that the documentation and help files are missing an
    important bit of information - that the dump file needs to be created by
    "hand" (indeed - once I created the dumpfile via SYSGEN, AUTOGEN no
    longer complained).

    Does this tally with everyone's experience, or did AUTOGEN perform this
    function at one time, and no longer does so?

  2. Re: DOSD - AUTOGEN doesn't create the DOSD sysdump.dmp file

    bradhamilton wrote:
    > Environment:
    > VMS V8.3 Alpha

    [...]
    > So, it seems that the documentation and help files are missing an
    > important bit of information - that the dump file needs to be created by
    > "hand" (indeed - once I created the dumpfile via SYSGEN, AUTOGEN no
    > longer complained).
    >
    > Does this tally with everyone's experience, or did AUTOGEN perform this
    > function at one time, and no longer does so?

    To answer my own question, (after further investigation) MODPARAMS.DAT
    contains DUMPFILE=0, which apparently causes AUTOGEN to stay away from
    *creating*/re-sizing the dump file (I thought that *FILE=0 would merely
    tell AUTOGEN not to re-size).

    Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread