InfoServers and cd-r drives - VMS

This is a discussion on InfoServers and cd-r drives - VMS ; Hello Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering what ...

  1. InfoServers and cd-r drives

    Hello
    Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the
    RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the
    cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering
    what old type cd writers worked under the cd-r function. The cd-r in
    the manual is a Sony CDW-900E. Ebay (acourse) has 1 going for
    24.00(US) in a external case. Tks for any info.
    phil

  2. Re: InfoServers and cd-r drives

    In article , "tomarsin2015@comcast.net" writes:

    >Hello
    >Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the
    >RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the
    >cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering
    >what old type cd writers worked under the cd-r function. The cd-r in
    >the manual is a Sony CDW-900E. Ebay (acourse) has 1 going for
    >24.00(US) in a external case. Tks for any info.
    >phil

    The IS doc listed "suupported" drives. At the time, they were all 1x
    burners save for perhaps one at 2x.

    While it would be nice to be able to use an IS and CD burner, finding
    one that will function may be futile or cost you more than it is worth.
    Put a CD on your Alpha and use LD/CDRECORD. This way you can use re-
    cord speeds in excess of 1x.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: InfoServers and cd-r drives

    tomarsin2015@comcast.net wrote:
    > Hello
    > Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the
    > RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the
    > cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering
    > what old type cd writers worked under the cd-r function. The cd-r in
    > the manual is a Sony CDW-900E. Ebay (acourse) has 1 going for
    > 24.00(US) in a external case. Tks for any info.
    > phil

    The infoserver was hardware wise very like a vaxstation 3100/33, a pretty
    slow box. Fastest CD-R I recall seeing in one at DEC was 2X speed. Recall
    too this was before "burn proof" existed. With a faster drive and faster
    Vax or Alpha considerably faster burns are possible (though the fastest scsi
    cd-r I have (kind of old now) is 6X on the alpha. But there is no question
    the alpha can run much faster.

    In essence the infoserver used the kind of processing in io$_diagnose
    to do its stuff, as I was told. That gives lots of flexibility, but it
    also sets up and tears down the SCSI connection (port to class) with every
    call. That is why normal i/o is faster: it sets up the SCSI connection
    once and uses it many times. Because of this, writing via io$_diagnose will
    not be as fast as disk writing with normal i/o calls. That is not a problem
    on slow devices but it will take more resources and time which at some point
    may be noticeable.
    Glenn Everhart

  4. Re: InfoServers and cd-r drives

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > In article , "tomarsin2015@comcast.net" writes:
    >>

    >>Hello
    >>Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the
    >>RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the
    >>cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering
    >>what old type cd writers worked under the cd-r function. The cd-r in
    >>the manual is a Sony CDW-900E. Ebay (acourse) has 1 going for
    >>24.00(US) in a external case. Tks for any info.
    >>phil

    > The IS doc listed "suupported" drives. At the time, they were all 1x
    > burners save for perhaps one at 2x.

    I thought the cd-r (Scribe) function was only supported on the
    Infoserver 1000. Has anyone ever known it to work on the 100
    or 150 ?

  5. Re: InfoServers and cd-r drives

    In article , Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

    >In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >> In article , "tomarsin2015@comcast.net" writes:
    >>>

    >>>Hello
    >>>Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the
    >>>RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the
    >>>cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering
    >>>what old type cd writers worked under the cd-r function. The cd-r in
    >>>the manual is a Sony CDW-900E. Ebay (acourse) has 1 going for
    >>>24.00(US) in a external case. Tks for any info.
    >>>phil

    >> The IS doc listed "suupported" drives. At the time, they were all 1x
    >> burners save for perhaps one at 2x.

    >I thought the cd-r (Scribe) function was only supported on the
    >Infoserver 1000. Has anyone ever known it to work on the 100
    >or 150 ?

    My recollection was that Scribe was sold when the IS1000s were being
    produced. I have no information on whether or not it is supported on
    the IS1000 only.

    Since the function enabler CD images have been put on the freeware, I
    may try these on my IS1000 and IS150. However, without a CD recorder
    which will be recognized by the Scribe function, this effort may be a
    waste of time. I'm busy porting some interesting code to Itanium, so
    I don't expect to drop that and delve into this IS issue anytime soon;
    especially, since I have a high-speed SCSI CD burner hanging off of my
    Alpha.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: InfoServers and cd-r drives

    On Dec 6, 2:37 pm, "tomarsin2...@comcast.net"
    wrote:
    > Hello
    > Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the
    > RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the
    > cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering
    > what old type cd writers worked under the cd-r function. The cd-r in
    > the manual is a Sony CDW-900E. Ebay (acourse) has 1 going for
    > 24.00(US) in a external case. Tks for any info.
    > phil

    There is a short list of drives "reported to work" in an article on
    Hoff's site ( http://64.223.189.234/node/610 )

  7. Re: InfoServers and cd-r drives

    johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Dec 6, 2:37 pm, "tomarsin2...@comcast.net"
    > wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> Installed the cd-r function on a InfoServer 100. I replaced one of the
    >> RRD42 with a HP CD-writer plus 9200 series (8x4x32x) hoping that the
    >> cd-r function would see the writer. No such luck. So I was wondering
    >> what old type cd writers worked under the cd-r function. The cd-r in
    >> the manual is a Sony CDW-900E. Ebay (acourse) has 1 going for
    >> 24.00(US) in a external case. Tks for any info.
    >> phil

    > There is a short list of drives "reported to work" in an article on
    > Hoff's site ( http://64.223.189.234/node/610 )

    And the officially supported drives are listed in the Infoserver
    software (v. 3.5) SPD:

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP3320/SP3320PF.PDF

    Regards,

    Kari