VMS like search utility for Windows - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS like search utility for Windows - VMS ; Hi, everybody In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the Windows platform. After ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. VMS like search utility for Windows

    Hi, everybody

    In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    Windows platform.

    After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    BEFore date modifiers.

    On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?

    <\Big desperation sigh>

    TIA
    Van

    NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

  2. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > Hi, everybody
    >

    > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    > Windows platform.
    >
    > After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    > Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    > specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    > BEFore date modifiers.
    >
    > On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    > yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?
    >
    > <\Big desperation sigh>
    >
    > TIA
    > Van
    >
    > NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    > mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

    It's not hard if you use the Windows interface. The "command line"
    interface is the mortal remains of MSDOS and is nearly useless for most
    purposes.

  3. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    On Dec 5, 11:59 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > > Hi, everybody

    > > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    > > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    > > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    > > Windows platform.

    > > After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    > > Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    > > specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    > > BEFore date modifiers.

    > > On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    > > yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?

    > > <\Big desperation sigh>

    > > TIA
    > > Van

    > > NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    > > mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

    > It's not hard if you use the Windows interface. The "command line"
    > interface is the mortal remains of MSDOS and is nearly useless for most
    > purposes.- Hide quoted text -

    I am looking for a command line utility because I want to use it in a
    batch running at 4h00 AM everyday that will alert me when it finds
    some specific string in yesterday's log files. As you can guess, there
    is a big number of log files in the directory but I need to find if
    some event occurred yesterday.

    TIA
    Van

  4. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    On Dec 5, 1:34 pm, vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 11:59 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > > > Hi, everybody

    > > > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    > > > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    > > > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    > > > Windows platform.

    > > > After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    > > > Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    > > > specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    > > > BEFore date modifiers.

    > > > On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    > > > yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?

    > > > <\Big desperation sigh>

    > > > TIA
    > > > Van

    > > > NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    > > > mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

    > > It's not hard if you use the Windows interface. The "command line"
    > > interface is the mortal remains of MSDOS and is nearly useless for most
    > > purposes.- Hide quoted text -

    > I am looking for a command line utility because I want to use it in a
    > batch running at 4h00 AM everyday that will alert me when it finds
    > some specific string in yesterday's log files. As you can guess, there
    > is a big number of log files in the directory but I need to find if
    > some event occurred yesterday.
    >
    > TIA
    > Van

    Have you tried this:

    Open DCL Lite version 2.21 (2001-088)
    Copyright (C) Accelr8 Technology Corporation 1991-2001. All rights
    reserved.

    [Warning: The Lite version (which I have and use) is buggy. You may
    need the pay-for version (which I don't have and never used).]

    Here's the SEARCH HELP:

    SEARCH

    The SEARCH command searches the given file(s) for the given
    string(s). The default file specification for omitted fields is
    "*.*".
    Enclose the string(s) to match in quotation marks if they contain
    any
    characters other than lowercase letters and digits.

    Format:

    SEARCH file-spec[,...] match-string[,...]

    Additional information available:

    Parameters Qualifiers
    /BEFORE /BY_OWNER /CONFIRM /CREATED /EXACT /EXCLUDE /
    FORMAT
    /HEADING /HIGHLIGHT /LOG /MATCH /MODIFIED /NUMBERS
    /REMAINING /SINCE /WINDOW
    Examples Implementation_Differences

    SEARCH Subtopic?

    This is all from the free version, which I have on my PC at work.
    Oddly, the HELP often assumes it's running on a Unix system. I myself
    use it to take advantage of DIR/SINCE=-7-00 to see the last week's
    worth of certain data files that are FTP'd to a Windows system every
    workday.

    Here is more info, also from the HELP:

    ACCELR8

    Open DCL Lite was developed by Accelr8 Technology Corporation as a
    way to increase awareness of its commercial Open DCL product and
    other
    migration software. Open DCL supports a much larger set of DCL
    commands
    and lexical functions, systemwide logical names, indexed files,
    and more.

    If you need to move applications and users from VMS to either Unix
    or NT,
    Accelr8 can provide the tools and the expertise to get you there.

    To contact Accelr8:

    WWW: http://www.accelr8.com E-mail: info@accelr8.com
    Phone: 303-863-8088
    Mail: Accelr8 Technology Corporation
    303 E. 17th Ave., Suite 108
    Denver, CO 80203 USA

    Topic?

  5. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article <9e79b1d8-5673-487e-8680-cc335fad8d33@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca writes:
    > On Dec 5, 11:59 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >> vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    >> > Hi, everybody

    >> > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    >> > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    >> > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    >> > Windows platform.

    >> > After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    >> > Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    >> > specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    >> > BEFore date modifiers.

    >> > On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    >> > yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?

    >> > <\Big desperation sigh>

    >> > TIA
    >> > Van

    >> > NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    >> > mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

    >> It's not hard if you use the Windows interface. The "command line"
    >> interface is the mortal remains of MSDOS and is nearly useless for most
    >> purposes.- Hide quoted text -

    > I am looking for a command line utility because I want to use it in a
    > batch running at 4h00 AM everyday that will alert me when it finds
    > some specific string in yesterday's log files. As you can guess, there
    > is a big number of log files in the directory but I need to find if
    > some event occurred yesterday.

    Would Unix "find" and "grep" do the trick? I know they are available
    under CygWin. I would not be surprised if there native DOS versions
    as well.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article <146c9b6a-7323-4d58-be18-83ad0a5c1553@x69g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca writes:

    > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    > Windows platform.

    There is hope. Fortunately UNIX, as poor as you may find it,
    is better than Windows. And cygwin is a very usefull free
    UNIX emulation environment that runs on Windows.

    When you load cygwin, you may have to turn on some options to
    get find, grep, and xargs. Then just remember the UNIX mantra:

    find | xargs grep

    Yeah, I know, I'd rather search, too, but the above beats the
    pants of findstr. And cygwin uses gnu grep, so you can do things
    UNIX grep can't.

  7. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article <4756D8E6.5010306@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    > It's not hard if you use the Windows interface. The "command line"
    > interface is the mortal remains of MSDOS and is nearly useless for most
    > purposes.

    The Windows interface sucks. All the command line utilities will
    show the line containing the string, which is a great help in
    figuring out if you've got the right file. The Windows Explorer
    search will only show you the file name.

    Ever try looking through a couple dozen Word files to see if you've
    found the right one? Good way to burn up your employer's pay.

  8. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    On Dec 5, 1:01 pm, AEF wrote:
> [...]

    > Oddly, the HELP often assumes it's running on a Unix system. I myself
    > use it to take advantage of DIR/SINCE=-7-00 to see the last week's
    > worth of certain data files that are FTP'd to a Windows system every
    > workday.
    >
    > Here is more info, also from the HELP:
    >
    > ACCELR8
    >
    > Open DCL Lite was developed by Accelr8 Technology Corporation as a
    > way to increase awareness of its commercial Open DCL product and
    > other
    > migration software. Open DCL supports a much larger set of DCL
    > commands
    > and lexical functions, systemwide logical names, indexed files,
    > and more.
    >
    > If you need to move applications and users from VMS to either Unix
    > or NT,
    > Accelr8 can provide the tools and the expertise to get you there.

    DCL Lite would fit the bill. I even used it in another job.
    Unfortunately, the product is unsupported and accelr8 web site does
    not even mention dcl lite(Try to find it!). You also have to run the
    commands inside the shell, not at a DOS prompt. The resource usage is
    also not optimized. I would rather find a command line Search utility.

    In fact, now that DCL Lite is mentionned, VMS community would gain if
    DCL Lite was OpenSourced.
    I am sure we could improve the tool for everybody's benefit. If
    somebody has access to DCL Lite owners, talk to them.

    Thanks for your suggestion
    Van

  9. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    On Dec 5, 11:56 am, vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > Hi, everybody
    >

    > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    > Windows platform.
    >
    > After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    > Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    > specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    > BEFore date modifiers.
    >
    > On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    > yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?
    >
    > <\Big desperation sigh>
    >
    > TIA
    > Van
    >
    > NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    > mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

    Basically, I would like to enter the following command in a batch
    file:

    $ search *.log /created/before=today/since=yesterday "MyString" /out=c:
    \temp\list.tmp

    Van

  10. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article <35e90779-7cd8-4244-9639-724a591c3a14@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> [...]

    >> To contact Accelr8:
    >>
    >> WWW:http://www.accelr8.com E-mail: i...@accelr8.com
    >> Phone: 303-863-8088
    >> Mail: Accelr8 Technology Corporation
    >> 303 E. 17th Ave., Suite 108
    >> Denver, CO 80203 USA
    >>
    >> Topic?- Hide quoted text -

    > DCL Lite would fit the bill. I even used it in another job.
    > Unfortunately, the product is unsupported and accelr8 web site does
    > not even mention dcl lite(Try to find it!). You also have to run the
    > commands inside the shell, not at a DOS prompt. The resource usage is
    > also not optimized. I would rather find a command line Search utility.
    >
    > In fact, now that DCL Lite is mentionned, VMS community would gain if
    > DCL Lite was OpenSourced.
    > I am sure we could improve the tool for everybody's benefit. If
    > somebody has access to DCL Lite owners, talk to them.

    If they have a commercial DCL for Windows product it is probably not
    in their best interests to see the free one improved.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  11. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <146c9b6a-7323-4d58-be18-83ad0a5c1553@x69g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca writes:
    >>
    >> In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    >> wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    >> useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    >> Windows platform.

    > There is hope. Fortunately UNIX, as poor as you may find it,
    > is better than Windows. And cygwin is a very usefull free
    > UNIX emulation environment that runs on Windows.
    >
    > When you load cygwin, you may have to turn on some options to
    > get find, grep, and xargs. Then just remember the UNIX mantra:
    >
    > find | xargs grep

    Can be done without xargs, actually.

    find -exec grep {} \;

    Other options as desired for both commands.

    > Yeah, I know, I'd rather search, too, but the above beats the
    > pants of findstr. And cygwin uses gnu grep, so you can do things
    > UNIX grep can't.

    Not sure what you consider "UNIX grep" as all of them pretty much use
    the GNU junk now. Biggest problem with GNU is they have taken too
    many of the Unix utilities and dragged them kicking and screaming out
    of the true Unix Paradigm.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  12. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article <35e90779-7cd8-4244-9639-724a591c3a14@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca writes:

> [...]

    >> To contact Accelr8:
    >>
    >> WWW:http://www.accelr8.com E-mail: i...@accelr8.com
    >> Phone: 303-863-8088
    >> Mail: Accelr8 Technology Corporation
    >> 303 E. 17th Ave., Suite 108
    >> Denver, CO 80203 USA
    >>
    >> Topic?- Hide quoted text -

    >DCL Lite would fit the bill. I even used it in another job.
    >Unfortunately, the product is unsupported and accelr8 web site does
    >not even mention dcl lite(Try to find it!). You also have to run the
    >commands inside the shell, not at a DOS prompt. The resource usage is
    >also not optimized. I would rather find a command line Search utility.
    >
    >In fact, now that DCL Lite is mentionned, VMS community would gain if
    >DCL Lite was OpenSourced.
    >I am sure we could improve the tool for everybody's benefit. If
    >somebody has access to DCL Lite owners, talk to them.

    There was a piece fo software called PC-DCL which, if you can find
    the source, should be able to be compiled for Weendoze today. Its
    been the seed to a number of DCL wannabe products.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  13. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    VAXman-, @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > [snip]
    > There was a piece fo software called PC-DCL which, if you can find
    > the source, should be able to be compiled for Weendoze today. Its
    > been the seed to a number of DCL wannabe products.

    Was the source for that ever released?

    Also, I found that it would conflict with DEPCA.DOS and/or the LAT
    driver from Pathworks V4.1.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  14. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article <5rocivF156uouU3@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > Not sure what you consider "UNIX grep" as all of them pretty much use
    > the GNU junk now. Biggest problem with GNU is they have taken too
    > many of the Unix utilities and dragged them kicking and screaming out
    > of the true Unix Paradigm.

    None of the UNIX I have ship with gnu grep's ability to show
    unmatching lines surrounding the matching lines (equivalent of
    /WINDOW in VMS SEARCH).

    Gnu's not UNIX and UNIX ain't gnu.

  15. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 11:59 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, everybody

    >>>In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    >>>wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    >>>useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    >>>Windows platform.

    >>>After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    >>>Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    >>>specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    >>>BEFore date modifiers.

    >>>On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    >>>yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?

    >>><\Big desperation sigh>

    >>>TIA
    >>>Van

    >>>NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    >>>mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

    >>It's not hard if you use the Windows interface. The "command line"
    >>interface is the mortal remains of MSDOS and is nearly useless for most
    >>purposes.- Hide quoted text -

    > I am looking for a command line utility because I want to use it in a
    > batch running at 4h00 AM everyday that will alert me when it finds
    > some specific string in yesterday's log files. As you can guess, there
    > is a big number of log files in the directory but I need to find if
    > some event occurred yesterday.

    ISTR that there is an implementation of grep available for Windows. I
    don't recall if it comes with Windows or is an add-on.

  16. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    wrote in message
    > Hi, everybody
    >

    > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    > Windows platform.
    >
    > After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    > Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    > specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    > BEFore date modifiers.
    >
    > On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    > yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?

    PowerShell is the new Windows command line interface. You can read more and
    download from here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/PowerShell

    To do this:

    $ search *.log /created/before=today/since=yesterday "MyString"
    /out=c:\temp\list.tmp

    in PowerShell, you would do:

    PS C:\> dir *.log | where {$_.CreationTime.Date -eq
    [DateTime]::Today.AddDays(-1)} | select-string "MyString" > c:\temp\list.tmp

  17. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:42:15 -0800 (PST), vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca
    wrote:

    >Basically, I would like to enter the following command in a batch
    >file:
    >
    >$ search *.log /created/before=today/since=yesterday "MyString" /out=c:
    >\temp\list.tmp
    >
    >Van

    Van,

    The best DCL environment I've ever found for Windows is a product
    called XLNT from Advanced Systems Concepts.

    Main: http://www.advsyscon.com
    XLNT: http://www.advsyscon.com/products/xlnt/

    Cons:

    It's rather expensive

    Pros:

    - Gives you a DCL environment on Windows
    - Lots of lexicals, even some new ones
    - DO WHILE, DO UNTIL constructs
    - Many VMS commands files run w/o change
    - Supported, new versions and updates do occur

    There is also a SEARCH command included in its set of utilities:

    SEARCH filename[,] searchstring[,]
    /ACCESS /BEFORE[=time] /[NO] CONFIRM /CREATE /[NO]EXACT
    /EXCLUDE=(filespec[,])
    /[NO]HEADING /[NO] HIGHLIGHT /[NO]LOG /MATCH=[and, nor, nand, or, xor]
    /[NO]NUMBERS
    /[NO]OUTPUT[=filespec] /SINCE[=time] /[NO]STATISTICS /[NO]WINDOW[=(n1,
    n2)] /WRITE

    I have recommended this to many customers who drug the VMS folks
    kicking and screaming into the Windows world. This app alone made the
    transition tolerable. In fact, when running inside this environment,
    Windows is actually (gasp) tolerable because you can now get at and do
    the things you like to do from the VMS side of things.

  18. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article , VMS is Virus Free writes:

    >On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:42:15 -0800 (PST), vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Basically, I would like to enter the following command in a batch
    >>file:
    >>
    >>$ search *.log /created/before=today/since=yesterday "MyString" /out=c:
    >>\temp\list.tmp

    Try this and post back:

    $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  19. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca wrote:
    [...snip...]

    > DCL Lite would fit the bill. I even used it in another job.
    > Unfortunately, the product is unsupported and accelr8 web site does
    > not even mention dcl lite(Try to find it!). You also have to run the
    > commands inside the shell, not at a DOS prompt. The resource usage is
    > also not optimized. I would rather find a command line Search utility.
    >
    > In fact, now that DCL Lite is mentionned, VMS community would gain if
    > DCL Lite was OpenSourced.
    > I am sure we could improve the tool for everybody's benefit. If
    > somebody has access to DCL Lite owners, talk to them.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion
    > Van

    One more time :-) :

    I think you have to email them. I got it from them this way last year.

    Email : ussupport@transoft.com ( USA, presumably )
    Email : uksupport@transoft.com ( UK, I guess )

    Cheers, Csaba

    |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| http://accounts.zotspot.com/?source=10965&m=l
    EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends.

  20. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    VAXman- wrote:
    > In article , VMS is Virus Free writes:
    >

    >>On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:42:15 -0800 (PST), vancouvercancun@yahoo.ca
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Basically, I would like to enter the following command in a batch
    >>>file:
    >>>
    >>>$ search *.log /created/before=today/since=yesterday "MyString" /out=c:
    >>>\temp\list.tmp

    > Try this and post back:
    >
    > $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"

    ALPHA5_$ $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    %SYSTEM-F-NOMSG, Message number 000034B4
    ALPHA5_$ say f$getsyi("version")
    V7.2-1

    What was your point Brian?