VMS like search utility for Windows - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS like search utility for Windows - VMS ; Richard B. Gilbert wrote: >> Try this and post back: >> >> $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'" >> > > ALPHA5_$ $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'" > %SYSTEM-F-NOMSG, Message number 000034B4 > ALPHA5_$ say f$getsyi("version") > V7.2-1 > > What was your ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >> Try this and post back:
    >>
    >> $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    >>

    > ALPHA5_$ $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    > %SYSTEM-F-NOMSG, Message number 000034B4
    > ALPHA5_$ say f$getsyi("version")
    > V7.2-1
    >
    > What was your point Brian?

    On V8.3 it gives:

    %SYSTEM-F-GAMEOVER, all your base are belong to us

    Regards, Tim.

  2. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > Try this and post back:
    >
    > $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"

    $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    -bash: $: command not found

    Besides, I never quite understood the wording of that message.
    Shouldn't "base" be plurial ? And doesn't the presence of "are" make the
    sentence sort of improperly structured ?

    I take it this is the VMS security/intrusion system's last gasp it
    issues after hackers have taken control of all your nodes ?

  3. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_you...e_belong_to_us

    --
    If some good evidence for life after death were announced, I'd be eager
    to examine it; but it would have to be real scientific data, not mere

  4. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article <47575F0C.1030201@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    >VAXman- wrote:
    >> In article , VMS is Virus Free writes:

    >> Try this and post back:
    >>
    >> $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    >>

    >ALPHA5_$ $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    >%SYSTEM-F-NOMSG, Message number 000034B4
    >ALPHA5_$ say f$getsyi("version")
    >V7.2-1
    >
    >What was your point Brian?

    %SYSTEM-F-GAMEOVER, all your base are belong to us
    ----------^^^^^^^^

    This is/was not a serious thread; it's disingenuous subterfuge.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:13:08 -0800, Mark Daniel
    wrote:

    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try this and post back:
    >>>
    >>> $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"

    >> $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    >> -bash: $: command not found
    >> Besides, I never quite understood the wording of that message.
    >> Shouldn't "base" be plurial ? And doesn't the presence of "are" make
    >> the sentence sort of improperly structured ?
    >> I take it this is the VMS security/intrusion system's last gasp it
    >> issues after hackers have taken control of all your nodes ?

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_you...e_belong_to_us

    And here I thought it was our terminal server port busy message
    HAFNER >CISCO2 OPA0 22C0169A (subprocess of 22C01696)
    %CONSOLE-F-ERROR Requested console in use
    %SYSTEM-F-GAMEOVER, all your base are belong to us
    :-)

    > --
    > If some good evidence for life after death were announced, I'd be eager
    > to examine it; but it would have to be real scientific data, not mere
    > anecdote. As with the face on Mars and alien abductions, better the hard
    > truth, I say, than the comforting fantasy.
    > [Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World]

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  6. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    Bob Koehler schrieb:
    > None of the UNIX I have ship with gnu grep's ability to show
    > unmatching lines surrounding the matching lines (equivalent of
    > /WINDOW in VMS SEARCH).

    And none of them ship with the ability to search for two different strings.
    For me this is the most missed feature of VMS search.

    In DCL you could type:
    $ search example.txt sun,moon
    and would get the lines containing "sun" AND the lines containing "moon".

    Any idea for replacing this behaviour on DOS/Windows/Linux?

    Thanks a lot

    Matthias Maisenbacher

    (developping and running programs under Windows but still having the source code in CMS :-)

  7. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article ,
    Matthias Maisenbacher writes:
    > Bob Koehler schrieb:
    >> None of the UNIX I have ship with gnu grep's ability to show
    >> unmatching lines surrounding the matching lines (equivalent of
    >> /WINDOW in VMS SEARCH).

    > And none of them ship with the ability to search for two different strings.
    > For me this is the most missed feature of VMS search.
    >
    > In DCL you could type:
    > $ search example.txt sun,moon
    > and would get the lines containing "sun" AND the lines containing "moon".
    >
    > Any idea for replacing this behaviour on DOS/Windows/Linux?

    grep -e sun -e moon "filename"

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  8. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    wrote:

    > Try this and post back:
    >
    > $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"

    LOL!

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  9. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    "P. Sture" wrote:

    > In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Try this and post back:
    > >
    > > $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"

    > LOL!

    From V7.3-2:
    DJAS02:DACHTERA$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    %SYSTEM-F-NOMSG, Message number 000034B4

    From V7.2-2:
    DJAS01:DACHTERA$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "''F$message(%X34B4)'"
    %SYSTEM-F-NOMSG, Message number 000034B4

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  10. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    On Dec 5, 11:34 am, vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 11:59 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > vancouvercan...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > > > Hi, everybody

    > > > In despair, I hope somebody has a Windows replacement for the
    > > > wonderful VMS Search command. The VMS search is so versatile and
    > > > useful that I am searching for a similar command line tool for the
    > > > Windows platform.

    > > > After a little bit of searching, I know of find and findstr.
    > > > Specifically, I am looking for a command line tool that allows
    > > > specification of search files using MODified, CREated, SINce and
    > > > BEFore date modifiers.

    > > > On VMS, it is so easy to search for something that has happened in
    > > > yesterday's log file... Why such a simple task is hard on Windows?

    > > > <\Big desperation sigh>

    > > > TIA
    > > > Van

    > > > NB: Please, keep to the topic and refrain from bashing Windows. Your
    > > > mom would not approve bashing a crippled OS. ;-)

    > > It's not hard if you use the Windows interface. The "command line"
    > > interface is the mortal remains of MSDOS and is nearly useless for most
    > > purposes.- Hide quoted text -

    > I am looking for a command line utility because I want to use it in a
    > batch running at 4h00 AM everyday that will alert me when it finds
    > some specific string in yesterday's log files. As you can guess, there
    > is a big number of log files in the directory but I need to find if
    > some event occurred yesterday.
    >
    > TIA
    > Van

    The Watcom compiler/development system had a utility called wgrep
    which was command line. The entire Watcom tool set is now OpenSource
    and hosted by SciTech I believe. Do a Web search for Watcom C++.

  11. Re: VMS like search utility for Windows

    "windows grep" in Google gave a couple
    of grep ports for Windows.

    I guess they are as like any grep port
    for VMS as one could ask for... :-)