Re: Unix for VMS guys - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Unix for VMS guys - VMS ; From: JF Mezei > There used to be sites that provides much help in converting VMS > commands into Unix commands. > > Does anyone have a current link for such ? Not I. > Also, would there be a ...

  1. Re: Unix for VMS guys

    From: JF Mezei

    > There used to be sites that provides much help in converting VMS
    > commands into Unix commands.
    >
    > Does anyone have a current link for such ?

    Not I.

    > Also, would there be a site describing control character equivalences ?
    > (for instance, in VMS, during a program gives you a status of
    > that program, gets you to start of line supressed
    > output until the next major breakpoint etc etc. Having equivalences for
    > Unix would be useful.

    All that sort of thing would depend on stty settings and the shell
    you use, not on UNIX-ness. If you find anything like Ctrl/T anywhere,
    please let me know.

    > What is sure is that I won't bother porting what is left on VAX to
    > Alpha, it will go to the MAC (or possibly Linux).

    "Mac" is short for "Macintosh". "MAC" is short for "Media Access
    Control".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Access_Control

    Please stop trying to confuse me.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Unix for VMS guys

    In article <07120505314799_202647DE@antinode.org>, sms@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) writes:

    > All that sort of thing would depend on stty settings and the shell
    > you use, not on UNIX-ness. If you find anything like Ctrl/T anywhere,
    > please let me know.

    Enter:

    stty status ^T

    in FreeBSD and OpenBSD, but there's no equivalent in Linux. It does not
    appear to work when sat at a shell prompt, but does while running something
    like, say, find.

    One of them (I think it's OpenBSD) has it's status report integrated with
    some commands so that, for example, when you hit ^T during a find, you get
    the directory that it's currently searching.

    Simon.

    Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world

  3. Re: Unix for VMS guys

    Steve,

    Your spam filters appear to be broken. I cannot get an e-mail reply
    through to you from any of my ISPs (Earthlink, Comcast, DLS, AOL).

    Keep getting "550" response.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

+ Reply to Thread