TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS - VMS

This is a discussion on TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS - VMS ; My apologies if this is a duplicate, but I don't think my first Email went thru.. I am running: Process Software MultiNet V5.0 Rev A, AlphaServer 800 5/400, OpenVMS AXP V7.2-1 What is the order of search when I have ...

  1. TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS

    My apologies if this is a duplicate, but I don't think my first Email
    went thru..

    I am running: Process Software MultiNet V5.0 Rev A, AlphaServer 800
    5/400, OpenVMS AXP V7.2-1

    What is the order of search when I have an entry in HOSTS.LOCAL with
    the same name as an entry in our DNS??

    I am assuming that HOSTS.LOCAL gets check first, but my testing shows it
    is DNS...

    Any help would be appreciated,

    Randy Johnson

    SXC Health Solutions

    This communication, including any attachments, may contain information that is confidential and may be privileged and exempt from disclosure underapplicable law. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

  2. Re: TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS

    On Dec 3, 5:07 pm, "Randy Johnson" wrote:

    > What is the order of search when I have an entry in HOSTS.LOCAL with
    > the same name as an entry in our DNS??

    For telnet when the domain name service is active, the target name
    will be resolved by the DNS. The host table will be searched if, and
    only if, DNS resolution is unsuccessful.

  3. Re: TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS

    Randy Johnson wrote:

    > I am running: Process Software MultiNet V5.0 Rev A, AlphaServer 800
    > 5/400, OpenVMS AXP V7.2-1
    >
    > What is the order of search when I have an entry in HOSTS.LOCAL with
    > the same name as an entry in our DNS??
    >
    > I am assuming that HOSTS.LOCAL gets check first, but my testing shows it
    > is DNS…

    DNS is checked and then the hosts file.

    regards
    Mike
    Michael Corbett Email: Corbett@process.com
    Process Software Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
    959 Concord St. 508 879-6994 x369
    Framingham MA 01701-4682 FAX: 508 879-0042

  4. RE: TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS

    Mike,

    Is there any way to check the hosts file first??

    Randy,

    > I am running: Process Software MultiNet V5.0 Rev A, AlphaServer 800
    > 5/400, OpenVMS AXP V7.2-1
    >
    > What is the order of search when I have an entry in HOSTS.LOCAL with
    > the same name as an entry in our DNS??
    >
    > I am assuming that HOSTS.LOCAL gets check first, but my testing shows

    it
    > is DNS...

    DNS is checked and then the hosts file.

    regards
    Mike
    --+
    Michael Corbett Email: Corbett@process.com
    Process Software Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
    959 Concord St. 508 879-6994 x369
    Framingham MA 01701-4682 FAX: 508 879-0042

    This communication, including any attachments, may contain information that is confidential and may be privileged and exempt from disclosure underapplicable law. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

  5. Re: TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS

    Randy Johnson wrote:
    > Mike,
    >
    > Is there any way to check the hosts file first??

    No, not that I'm aware of.

    regards
    Mike

    Michael Corbett Email: Corbett@process.com
    Process Software Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
    959 Concord St. 508 879-6994 x369
    Framingham MA 01701-4682 FAX: 508 879-0042

  6. Re: TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS

    On Dec 4, 1:42 pm, Michael Corbett wrote:
    > Randy Johnson wrote:
    > > Mike,

    > > Is there any way to check the hosts file first??

    > No, not that I'm aware of.

    Perhaps you could use an alternate name? You could define anything
    that is unique in your HOSTS.LOCAL and be able to reference it via
    telnet since DNS won't resolve it.

  7. Re: TELNET ORDER OF SEARCH FOR HOSTS.LOCAL and DNS

    Jim wrote:
    > On Dec 4, 1:42 pm, Michael Corbett wrote:
    >> Randy Johnson wrote:
    >>> Mike,
    >>> Is there any way to check the hosts file first??

    >> No, not that I'm aware of.
    >>

    > Perhaps you could use an alternate name? You could define anything
    > that is unique in your HOSTS.LOCAL and be able to reference it via
    > telnet since DNS won't resolve it.

    Another thing that you could do is run the nameserver on the
    machine and have it be an authority for the names that you are now
    adding into the hosts.local that are also in DNS.

    regards
    Mike

    Michael Corbett Email: Corbett@process.com
    Process Software Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
    959 Concord St. 508 879-6994 x369
    Framingham MA 01701-4682 FAX: 508 879-0042

+ Reply to Thread