Anyone else see this before - VMS

This is a discussion on Anyone else see this before - VMS ; I am running Open VMS 7.3-2 and TCPWare Version 5.7-2. I have users who log in with scanners - when I do a show process on their ID - it looks like this: LISA_ES1> show proc/id=20E2398B 3-DEC-2007 09:08:40.52 User: 7951 ...

  1. Anyone else see this before

    I am running Open VMS 7.3-2 and TCPWare Version 5.7-2. I have users who
    log in with scanners - when I do a show process on their ID - it looks
    like this:

    LISA_ES1> show proc/id=20E2398B

    3-DEC-2007 09:08:40.52 User: 7951 Process ID: 20E2398B
    Node: LISES1 Process name: "7951
    MGUKMS"

    Terminal: NTA14: (10.55.53.52)
    User Identifier: [450,123]
    Base priority: 4
    Default file spec: Not available
    Number of Kthreads: 1

    Devices allocated: TCP17996:
    TCP17998:
    TCP18009:
    TCP18012:
    TCP18026:
    TCP18034:
    TCP18036:
    TCP18069:
    TCP18088:
    TCP18091:
    TCP18094:
    TCP18119:
    TCP18125:
    TCP18131:
    TCP18168:
    TCP18171:
    TCP18177:
    TCP18181:
    TCP18183:
    TCP18192:
    TCP18195:
    TCP18219:
    TCP18247:
    TCP18249:
    TCP18259:
    TCP18261:
    TCP18267:
    TCP18268:
    TCP18295:
    TCP18301:
    TCP18304:
    TCP18309:
    TCP18312:
    TCP18332:
    TCP18382:
    TCP18383:
    LISES1$NTA14:

    Soft CPU Affinity: off

    Does anyone know or has seen all of these devices allocated....what can
    this be....once they log off - or exit out of the command they are running
    - all of these TCP devices disappear....???

    Lisa Morris
    Dana Corporation
    Sealing Products Division
    (630) 271-4698

    This e-mail, and any attachments, is intended solely for use by the addressee(s) named above. It may contain the confidential or proprietary information of Dana Corporation, its subsidiaries, affiliates or business partners. If you are not the intende
    d recipient of this e-mail or are an unauthorized recipient of the information, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

    Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Dana Corporation accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

    English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:

    http://www.dana.com/overview/EmailDisclaimer.shtm

  2. RE: Anyone else see this before

    I have seen something like this before. First off, all of our calls are
    made one layer higher through the Telnet Library (see chapter 9 of the
    TCPware Programmer's Guide) but your programmer should be able to
    transfer this info into lower level calls.

    When we call TEL_CLOSE_CONNECTION I noticed that many times only one
    half of the connection drops. The remote system is supposed to notice
    this and then drop the return half (remember that this is FULL DUPLEX).
    However, not all systems do this so in all our disconnect procedures we
    do the following:

    1. send the desired in-band command (LOG OFF, LOG OUT, BYE, etc.)
    if necessary
    2. call TEL_CLOSE_CONNECTION
    3. call TEL_RECEIVE_DATA every 100 ms for up to 5 seconds waiting
    to see one of the following return codes:
    SS$_VCCLOSED, SS$_TIMEOUT, SS$_THIRDPARTY
    4. if we make it to the five second mark, we then call
    TEL_ABORT_CONNECTION (to knock down the second half)

    This change was made to all of our application software and got rid of
    all those left-over TCP devices.

    Neil Rieck

    ICSIS/Trinity Development

    Bell-ATS (Advanced Technical Services)

    Bell Canada

    20 Water St. N.,

    Kitchener, Ontario,

    Canada. N2H-5A5

    Tel: 519-571-6303

    Cel: 519-501-1635 (Business Hours Only)

    Oth: 800-361-8093 (Bell-ATS Control Center)