MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning? - VMS

This is a discussion on MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning? - VMS ; We have an MSL5000 Storageworks (SDLT) tape library: two SDLT320 tape drives and 24 tape capacity. (We also have two MSL6000 LTO tape libraries for which the same question will apply...) I haven't dealt with these libraries before. What I ...

  1. MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning?

    We have an MSL5000 Storageworks (SDLT) tape library: two SDLT320
    tape drives and 24 tape capacity. (We also have two MSL6000 LTO
    tape libraries for which the same question will apply...)

    I haven't dealt with these libraries before. What I find is that
    the previous sysmgr (currently out on extended medical leave) has
    a cleaning tape loaded in the last slot of the tape "stacker".
    What I can see is any front-panel indication of whether a drive
    needs to be cleaned, and furthermore, if I do a $ ROBOT SHOW SLOT,
    the cleaning tape doesn't appear in the output, even though it has
    a "proper" "CLNxxx" barcode label on it.

    My question is two fold: 1) how do you know when a drive needs
    to be cleaned, and 2) how do you load a cleaning tape into a
    drive if the robot doesn't think there's anything in the slot?

    Related question: are these libraries so smart that they take
    care of the cleaning themselves???

    At issue is that a backup failed over the weekend with a parity
    error followed by a fatal controller error (I'd have to go look
    at the logs to be more precise), and the drive in question has
    been accumulating more than its share of errors (seen from DCL
    with SHOW ERROR). I could be a bad tape, but I also wanted to
    try cleaning the drive.

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  2. Re: MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning?

    Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have an MSL5000 Storageworks (SDLT) tape library: two SDLT320
    > tape drives and 24 tape capacity. (We also have two MSL6000 LTO
    > tape libraries for which the same question will apply...)
    >
    > I haven't dealt with these libraries before. What I find is that
    > the previous sysmgr (currently out on extended medical leave) has
    > a cleaning tape loaded in the last slot of the tape "stacker".
    > What I can see is any front-panel indication of whether a drive
    > needs to be cleaned, and furthermore, if I do a $ ROBOT SHOW SLOT,
    > the cleaning tape doesn't appear in the output, even though it has
    > a "proper" "CLNxxx" barcode label on it.
    >
    > My question is two fold: 1) how do you know when a drive needs
    > to be cleaned, and 2) how do you load a cleaning tape into a
    > drive if the robot doesn't think there's anything in the slot?
    >
    > Related question: are these libraries so smart that they take
    > care of the cleaning themselves???
    >
    > At issue is that a backup failed over the weekend with a parity
    > error followed by a fatal controller error (I'd have to go look
    > at the logs to be more precise), and the drive in question has
    > been accumulating more than its share of errors (seen from DCL
    > with SHOW ERROR). I could be a bad tape, but I also wanted to
    > try cleaning the drive.

    My experience with various DLT drives suggests cleaning them after every
    ten to fourteen tapes. YMMV.

  3. Re: MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning?

    On Dec 3, 11:20 am, Ken.Fairfi...@gmail.com wrote:
    [...]
    > What I can see is any front-panel indication of whether a drive

    What I *can't* see is any front-panel indication ...

    > needs to be cleaned, and furthermore, if I do a $ ROBOT SHOW SLOT,
    > the cleaning tape doesn't appear in the output, even though it has
    > a "proper" "CLNxxx" barcode label on it.

    I will note that with the left stacker removed, I can see
    the drives inside the library, I can see green LEDs on
    the drives, and I don't see any amber "clean me" LEDs.
    Are there any?

    Thanks, Ken

  4. Re: MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning?

    wrote in message
    > We have an MSL5000 Storageworks (SDLT) tape library: two SDLT320
    > tape drives and 24 tape capacity. (We also have two MSL6000 LTO
    > tape libraries for which the same question will apply...)
    >
    > I haven't dealt with these libraries before. What I find is that
    > the previous sysmgr (currently out on extended medical leave) has
    > a cleaning tape loaded in the last slot of the tape "stacker".
    > What I can see is any front-panel indication of whether a drive
    > needs to be cleaned, and furthermore, if I do a $ ROBOT SHOW SLOT,
    > the cleaning tape doesn't appear in the output, even though it has
    > a "proper" "CLNxxx" barcode label on it.
    >
    > My question is two fold: 1) how do you know when a drive needs
    > to be cleaned, and 2) how do you load a cleaning tape into a
    > drive if the robot doesn't think there's anything in the slot?

    The SDLT cleaning tape shows up on our MSL5000:

    $ robot show slot 36
    SLOT: 36 CLN071
    $
    $ robot show robot

    Robot Name: $2$GGA0: Type: SCSI

    Media Robot Identifier: COMPAQ MSL5000 Series 0430

    Slots: 50
    Drives: 3
    Inports: 2
    Outports: 2
    Transports: 1
    $

    I just manually load the tape via the ROBOT utility if I want to clean the
    drive. I've never seen a cleaning correct an issue in this jukebox.

    > Related question: are these libraries so smart that they take
    > care of the cleaning themselves???
    >
    > At issue is that a backup failed over the weekend with a parity
    > error followed by a fatal controller error (I'd have to go look
    > at the logs to be more precise), and the drive in question has
    > been accumulating more than its share of errors (seen from DCL
    > with SHOW ERROR). I could be a bad tape, but I also wanted to
    > try cleaning the drive.

    We've gone through many tape drives over the last few years. About 10% of
    our tapes used to be bad right out of the box.

    > Thanks, Ken
    > --
    > Ken & Ann Fairfield
    > What: Ken dot And dot Ann
    > Where: Gmail dot Com

  5. Re: MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning?

    Jeff Goodwin wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >> We have an MSL5000 Storageworks (SDLT) tape library: two SDLT320
    >> tape drives and 24 tape capacity. (We also have two MSL6000 LTO
    >> tape libraries for which the same question will apply...)
    >>
    >> I haven't dealt with these libraries before. What I find is that
    >> the previous sysmgr (currently out on extended medical leave) has
    >> a cleaning tape loaded in the last slot of the tape "stacker".
    >> What I can see is any front-panel indication of whether a drive
    >> needs to be cleaned, and furthermore, if I do a $ ROBOT SHOW SLOT,
    >> the cleaning tape doesn't appear in the output, even though it has
    >> a "proper" "CLNxxx" barcode label on it.
    >>
    >> My question is two fold: 1) how do you know when a drive needs
    >> to be cleaned, and 2) how do you load a cleaning tape into a
    >> drive if the robot doesn't think there's anything in the slot?
    >>

    > The SDLT cleaning tape shows up on our MSL5000:
    >
    > $ robot show slot 36
    > SLOT: 36 CLN071
    > $
    > $ robot show robot
    >
    > Robot Name: $2$GGA0: Type: SCSI
    >
    > Media Robot Identifier: COMPAQ MSL5000 Series 0430
    >
    > Slots: 50
    > Drives: 3
    > Inports: 2
    > Outports: 2
    > Transports: 1
    > $
    >

    > I just manually load the tape via the ROBOT utility if I want to clean the
    > drive. I've never seen a cleaning correct an issue in this jukebox.
    >
    >> Related question: are these libraries so smart that they take
    >> care of the cleaning themselves???
    >>
    >> At issue is that a backup failed over the weekend with a parity
    >> error followed by a fatal controller error (I'd have to go look
    >> at the logs to be more precise), and the drive in question has
    >> been accumulating more than its share of errors (seen from DCL
    >> with SHOW ERROR). I could be a bad tape, but I also wanted to
    >> try cleaning the drive.

    > We've gone through many tape drives over the last few years. About 10% of
    > our tapes used to be bad right out of the box.
    >
    >> Thanks, Ken
    >> --
    >> Ken & Ann Fairfield
    >> What: Ken dot And dot Ann
    >> Where: Gmail dot Com

    The cleaning needed will be visible on the library front panel and also
    by the drive LEDs.

    Almost all modern tape libraries can be put into "self cleaning mode",
    which means that the library will take care of the tape drive cleaning
    automatically when needed - all by itself. The library will get the
    signal from the tape drive when cleaning is needed and the robotics will
    insert the cleaning tape into the correct drive and after the cleaning
    pass the robotics move the tape back to its slot. The library also keeps
    record of how many times the cleaning tape has been used and it will
    discard the tape when the defined amount of cleaning cycles has been
    used up.

    If you want to do the cleaning manually, you can do it using MRU (robot)
    or by tapping on the library front panel soft keys. In both cases you
    load the cleaning tape into the drive which needs cleaning and then wait
    for the cleaning cycle to be done and then load the tape back into its slot.

    The tape library user manual can be downloaded from:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...Fc01125957.pdf

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Kari

  6. Re: MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning?

    On Dec 3, 12:53 pm, Uusimäki
    wrote:

    > The cleaning needed will be visible on the library front panel and also
    > by the drive LEDs.

    OK, that's what I wanted to know.

    > Almost all modern tape libraries can be put into "self cleaning mode",
    > which means that the library will take care of the tape drive cleaning
    > automatically when needed - all by itself. The library will get the
    > signal from the tape drive when cleaning is needed and the robotics will
    > insert the cleaning tape into the correct drive and after the cleaning
    > pass the robotics move the tape back to its slot. The library also keeps
    > record of how many times the cleaning tape has been used and it will
    > discard the tape when the defined amount of cleaning cycles has been
    > used up.

    I see. I'll also take Norm's suggestion and see whether automatic
    cleaning is enabled in the Maintenance Menu.

    > If you want to do the cleaning manually, you can do it using MRU (robot)
    > or by tapping on the library front panel soft keys. In both cases you
    > load the cleaning tape into the drive which needs cleaning and then wait
    > for the cleaning cycle to be done and then load the tape back into its slot.

    I'm familiar with the manual method. I've got a slightly different
    problem
    there in that the cleaning cartridge doesn't show up in the slot
    list... :-(

    > The tape library user manual can be downloaded from:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...direct.jsp?red...

    Thanks, I'll check that out. :-) -Ken

  7. Re: MSL5000 Tape Library tape cleaning?

    On Dec 3, 2:20 pm, Ken.Fairfi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have an MSL5000 Storageworks (SDLT) tape library: two SDLT320
    > tape drives and 24 tape capacity. (We also have two MSL6000 LTO
    > tape libraries for which the same question will apply...)
    >
    > I haven't dealt with these libraries before. What I find is that
    > the previous sysmgr (currently out on extended medical leave) has
    > a cleaning tape loaded in the last slot of the tape "stacker".
    > What I can see is any front-panel indication of whether a drive
    > needs to be cleaned, and furthermore, if I do a $ ROBOT SHOW SLOT,
    > the cleaning tape doesn't appear in the output, even though it has
    > a "proper" "CLNxxx" barcode label on it.
    >
    > My question is two fold: 1) how do you know when a drive needs
    > to be cleaned, and 2) how do you load a cleaning tape into a
    > drive if the robot doesn't think there's anything in the slot?
    >
    > Related question: are these libraries so smart that they take
    > care of the cleaning themselves???
    >
    > At issue is that a backup failed over the weekend with a parity
    > error followed by a fatal controller error (I'd have to go look
    > at the logs to be more precise), and the drive in question has
    > been accumulating more than its share of errors (seen from DCL
    > with SHOW ERROR). I could be a bad tape, but I also wanted to
    > try cleaning the drive.
    >
    > Thanks, Ken
    > --
    > Ken & Ann Fairfield
    > What: Ken dot And dot Ann
    > Where: Gmail dot Com

    For my msl5026, attached to our network, I use its management gui at
    http:/nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn.
    We also run 3rd party software for backup, and that gui also allows
    tape library/drive manipulation.

+ Reply to Thread