Long term survival of Hobbyist Programme ? - VMS

This is a discussion on Long term survival of Hobbyist Programme ? - VMS ; While trying to warm up in front of a TV showing a fireplace, I was thinking about comments on how the hobbyist programmes of True64 etc were handled poorly when those products were made "mature". If the realistic outcome is ...

  1. Long term survival of Hobbyist Programme ?

    While trying to warm up in front of a TV showing a fireplace, I was
    thinking about comments on how the hobbyist programmes of True64 etc
    were handled poorly when those products were made "mature".

    If the realistic outcome is not very positive, perhaps the VMS community
    should act proactively and get a statement from HP garanteeing (at
    least) that current users of the Hobbyist programme will be able to
    continue to use their systems/licences after HP has ceased any VMS
    related business.

    This way, when the axe falls on VMS like it did on MPE, Tru64 etc, it
    would be much harder for HP to force the most excellent maintainer of
    the hobbyist programme to cease and desist.

    Since HP would be loathe to openly discuss an end to VMS, perhaps it
    would be best to word the question in such a way that HP could respond
    without mentioning an end to VMS, perhaps granteeing that HP does not
    intend to shut down the Hobbyist programme or ask its maintainer to stop
    issuing new licences.

    (or something like that).

  2. Re: Long term survival of Hobbyist Programme ?

    JF Mezei schrieb:

    > Since HP would be loathe to openly discuss an end to VMS, perhaps it
    > would be best to word the question in such a way that HP could respond
    > without mentioning an end to VMS, perhaps granteeing that HP does not
    > intend to shut down the Hobbyist programme or ask its maintainer to stop
    > issuing new licences.

    The simplest solution would be to just abolish the annual
    termination and ship unlimited licenses.
    Whenever HP terminates VMS, hobbyists won't care.
    And since those licenses are not bound to a particular machine,
    hobbyists could share them.
    This would be similar to Tru64 with its non-commercial license.

+ Reply to Thread