Re: OT: Grid Computing and HP? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: OT: Grid Computing and HP? - VMS ; On Nov 26, 2:07 pm, Neil Rieck wrote: > [...snip...] OK so it looks like HP employees are unofficially contributing to Folding@home. Fri Nov 30 06:00:00 PST 2007 team # team name score wu ------- --------------------- --------- ------ 2654 Hewlett ...

  1. Re: OT: Grid Computing and HP?

    On Nov 26, 2:07 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:

    [...snip...]

    OK so it looks like HP employees are unofficially contributing to
    Folding@home.

    Fri Nov 30 06:00:00 PST 2007
    team # team name score wu
    ------- --------------------- --------- ------
    2654 Hewlett Packard 34166468 228575
    45862 PlanetAMD64 25900280 78049
    999 Microsoft 5458908 29876
    711 Intel 4079143 19705
    11142 IBM 2800487 17863
    10097 Sun Microsystems 191414 931
    604 Motorola 93717 1162
    53769 Advanced Micro Devices 1650 2546
    10617 DEC 7 2

    I'm not sure if Carly would approve of them using "Hewlett Packard"
    over "HP"

    :-)

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  2. Re: OT: Grid Computing and HP?

    On Nov 30, 9:56 am, Neil Rieck wrote:
    > On Nov 26, 2:07 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:
    >

    > [...snip...]
    >
    > OK so it looks like HP employees are unofficially contributing to
    > Folding@home.
    >
    > Fri Nov 30 06:00:00 PST 2007
    > team # team name score wu
    > ------- --------------------- --------- ------
    > 2654 Hewlett Packard 34166468 228575
    > 45862 PlanetAMD64 25900280 78049
    > 999 Microsoft 5458908 29876
    > 711 Intel 4079143 19705
    > 11142 IBM 2800487 17863
    > 10097 Sun Microsystems 191414 931
    > 604 Motorola 93717 1162
    > 53769 Advanced Micro Devices 1650 2546
    > 10617 DEC 7 2
    >
    > I'm not sure if Carly would approve of them using "Hewlett Packard"
    > over "HP"
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Neil Rieck
    > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

    Team DEC? That would be one worth joining...

  3. Re: OT: Grid Computing and HP?

    On Nov 30, 1:22 pm, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > On Nov 30, 9:56 am, Neil Rieck wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 26, 2:07 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:

    > > [...snip...]

    > > OK so it looks like HP employees are unofficially contributing to
    > > Folding@home.

    > > Fri Nov 30 06:00:00 PST 2007
    > > team # team name score wu
    > > ------- --------------------- --------- ------
    > > 2654 Hewlett Packard 34166468 228575
    > > 45862 PlanetAMD64 25900280 78049
    > > 999 Microsoft 5458908 29876
    > > 711 Intel 4079143 19705
    > > 11142 IBM 2800487 17863
    > > 10097 Sun Microsystems 191414 931
    > > 604 Motorola 93717 1162
    > > 53769 Advanced Micro Devices 1650 2546
    > > 10617 DEC 7 2

    > > I'm not sure if Carly would approve of them using "Hewlett Packard"
    > > over "HP"

    > > :-)

    > > Neil Rieck
    > > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

    > Team DEC? That would be one worth joining...- Hide quoted text -

    Yep. I was wondering if that might be Hoff.

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  4. Re: OT: Grid Computing and HP?

    On Nov 30, 3:07 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:
    > On Nov 30, 1:22 pm, Rich Jordan wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 30, 9:56 am, Neil Rieck wrote:

    > > > On Nov 26, 2:07 pm, Neil Rieck wrote:

    > > > [...snip...]

    > > > OK so it looks like HP employees are unofficially contributing to
    > > > Folding@home.

    > > > Fri Nov 30 06:00:00 PST 2007
    > > > team # team name score wu
    > > > ------- --------------------- --------- ------
    > > > 2654 Hewlett Packard 34166468 228575
    > > > 45862 PlanetAMD64 25900280 78049
    > > > 999 Microsoft 5458908 29876
    > > > 711 Intel 4079143 19705
    > > > 11142 IBM 2800487 17863
    > > > 10097 Sun Microsystems 191414 931
    > > > 604 Motorola 93717 1162
    > > > 53769 Advanced Micro Devices 1650 2546
    > > > 10617 DEC 7 2

    > > > I'm not sure if Carly would approve of them using "Hewlett Packard"
    > > > over "HP"

    > > > :-)

    > > > Neil Rieck
    > > > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > > > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

    > > Team DEC? That would be one worth joining...- Hide quoted text -

    > Yep. I was wondering if that might be Hoff.
    >
    > Neil Rieck
    > Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    > Ontario, Canada.http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

    Unfortunately there isn't currently any known BOINC client for VMS on
    any platform. I remember several people having mentioned that they
    tried, but ran up against various roadblocks in porting the code.

    I currently am running the Rosetta@Home client on my Mac systems and
    have had it running on a couple of Linux flavored system.

    John H. Reinhardt

  5. Re: OT: Grid Computing and HP?

    On Nov 30, 5:00 pm, "johnhreinha...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    [...snip...]

    > Unfortunately there isn't currently any known BOINC client for VMS on
    > any platform. I remember several people having mentioned that they
    > tried, but ran up against various roadblocks in porting the code.
    >
    > I currently am running the Rosetta@Home client on my Mac systems and
    > have had it running on a couple of Linux flavored system.
    >
    > John H. Reinhardt- Hide quoted text -

    The Rosetta client display is the best I've seen to communicate the
    protein-folding idea to people of all ages. I recently tried it out
    for a few folds just to see what it looked like (I'm a science geek)
    but didn't continue becuase I had already thrown all our PCs at work
    and home behind folding[at]home.

    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...ame=neil_rieck

    ###

    On a related note, the Folding[at]home client for Windows includes a
    small amount of CYGWIN run-time in order for it to work on that
    platform. And this fact got me thinking: The OpenVMS Engineering folks
    have been pushing their "UNIX Portability Initiative" for years now as
    can be seen with stuff like GNV, etc.

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/portability/

    Maybe a few good people at HP could also port BOINC and/or
    Folding[at]home clients? As I stated in my first post to this thread,
    IBM is already doing something like this with their WCG project.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_community_grid

    I've got a few OpenVMS AlphaServers running 24/7 that should be
    contributing to curing Alzheimer's etc. when they're basically doing
    nothing else.

    (I'm sure the write-off of such efforts can be split between public
    relations, charity and advertising which are all tax deductable)

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/