Re: DS10: "failed to load execlet"? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: DS10: "failed to load execlet"? - VMS ; From: winston@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing) > So I have a DS10 that I bought from Island and left in a box for > months. (We foolishly bought it without a video card, and then I was > ...

  1. Re: DS10: "failed to load execlet"?

    From: winston@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing)

    > So I have a DS10 that I bought from Island and left in a box for
    > months. (We foolishly bought it without a video card, and then I was
    > fussing with an unsupported old card for too long, and now I have a
    > nice ATI card that succeeds in driving a VGA display with the
    > console.) Any warranty is already over.

    Is that a genuine Radeon 7500 or some other random/unsupported ATI
    card? (Lots of stuff will do the VGA part well enough.)

    > Console software is 7.2-1 with a 2006 date.

    My good system is an XP1000, so I stopped worrying about firmware
    versions long ago.

    > The CD drive reports itself as CD-224E 9.9A and looks like the OEM
    > drive.

    Teac, or was it as reticent/vague-about-details as you?

    > When I attempt to boot from the CD (dqbo) it sees a boot block,
    > reports reading 1226 blocks from dqb0.0.1.13.0, goes through to
    > setting affinity, reports jumping to bootstrap code, and then
    > %SYSBOOT-E-LDFAIL, failed to load execlet, status = 00000054

    alp $ sysmsg %x00000054
    %SYSTEM-F-CTRLERR, fatal controller error

    > What's going on here? Do I have a CD drive problem? A CPU problem?
    > A duff copy of the OS? How do I tell?

    I'd try a new/different CD-ROM drive. Everyone has a loose external
    SCSI drive lying around, doesn't he? If I had a different CD, I might
    try that, too.

    The more I think about it, the more I think that it's probably a
    total loss. I'll pay the shipping if you want to shed the thing.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: DS10: "failed to load execlet"?

    In article <07113000363306_202647DE@antinode.org>, sms@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) writes:
    >From: winston@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing)
    >
    >> So I have a DS10 that I bought from Island and left in a box for
    >> months. (We foolishly bought it without a video card, and then I was
    >> fussing with an unsupported old card for too long, and now I have a
    >> nice ATI card that succeeds in driving a VGA display with the
    >> console.) Any warranty is already over.

    > Is that a genuine Radeon 7500 or some other random/unsupported ATI
    >card? (Lots of stuff will do the VGA part well enough.)

    Unsupported but Island swears it works.

    >> Console software is 7.2-1 with a 2006 date.

    > My good system is an XP1000, so I stopped worrying about firmware
    >versions long ago.
    >
    >> The CD drive reports itself as CD-224E 9.9A and looks like the OEM
    >> drive.

    > Teac, or was it as reticent/vague-about-details as you?

    I can't really tell easily. The faceplate matches the battleship-gray box of
    the DS10. The drive is in a cage (with two other drives) which I don't see how
    to remove, and I can't see any details on the CD. I'm way more of a software
    person than a hardware person.

    >> When I attempt to boot from the CD (dqbo) it sees a boot block,
    >> reports reading 1226 blocks from dqb0.0.1.13.0, goes through to
    >> setting affinity, reports jumping to bootstrap code, and then
    >> %SYSBOOT-E-LDFAIL, failed to load execlet, status = 00000054

    >alp $ sysmsg %x00000054
    >%SYSTEM-F-CTRLERR, fatal controller error

    Interesting.

    >> What's going on here? Do I have a CD drive problem? A CPU problem?
    >> A duff copy of the OS? How do I tell?

    > I'd try a new/different CD-ROM drive. Everyone has a loose external
    >SCSI drive lying around, doesn't he? If I had a different CD, I might
    >try that, too.

    I'll see if someone around here has a SCSI drive.

    > The more I think about it, the more I think that it's probably a
    >total loss. I'll pay the shipping if you want to shed the thing.

    I think I detect irony.

    Thanks!

    -- Alan

+ Reply to Thread