Re: 20+ year old encrypted source code - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: 20+ year old encrypted source code - VMS ; From: FrankS > Any thoughts on how source code that was produced circa 1985 may have > been encrypted "back in the day"? No reliable ideas here. > The source code files are available, and a $DIR/FULL shows fixed, 512- ...

  1. Re: 20+ year old encrypted source code

    From: FrankS

    > Any thoughts on how source code that was produced circa 1985 may have
    > been encrypted "back in the day"?

    No reliable ideas here.

    > The source code files are available, and a $DIR/FULL shows fixed, 512-
    > byte records. The contents are pure gibberish. I have no way of
    > knowing how they were encrypted.

    How pure? A DUMP of the first block might say something to someone.
    DUMP /BYTE /BLOCK = END = 1

    > I just don't know what command or utility to look for.

    So far, we may all be in that boat.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: 20+ year old encrypted source code

    On Nov 29, 11:36 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > How pure? A DUMP of the first block might say something to someone.
    > DUMP /BYTE /BLOCK = END = 1

    Very pure.

    There is no discernable plain-text signature at either the beginning
    or end of the file.

  3. Re: 20+ year old encrypted source code

    FrankS wrote:

    > There is no discernable plain-text signature at either the beginning
    > or end of the file.

    Do you have any idea of what the file should be containing ? Is it a
    very large file or a small one ?

    Important data, or very innocusous data that would have no need to be
    encrypted ?

    Do you have many files with similar contents, or is it just that one file ?

    The context of the file may be more important that whatever signature is
    or ism't present.

    Just out of the blue: could it be some MVS dataset that was copied over
    "raw" on to the VMS system ? The data would all apear to be jibberish
    since it is ebcdic. There is a utility on VMS if I remember correctly
    that can convert from ebcdic to ascii.

  4. Re: 20+ year old encrypted source code

    In article <04e34ed2-5f6d-486b-a38f-684cb2729954@d27g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, FrankS writes:
    > On Nov 29, 11:36 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    >> How pure? A DUMP of the first block might say something to someone.
    >> DUMP /BYTE /BLOCK = END = 1

    > Very pure.
    >
    > There is no discernable plain-text signature at either the beginning
    > or end of the file.

    Just a guess, but because of the time era, I'd try converting several
    bytes as if they were EBCDIC.

  5. Re: 20+ year old encrypted source code

    "Bob Koehler" wrote in message
    > In article
    > <04e34ed2-5f6d-486b-a38f-684cb2729954@d27g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    > FrankS writes:
    >> On Nov 29, 11:36 pm, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    >>> How pure? A DUMP of the first block might say something to someone.
    >>> DUMP /BYTE /BLOCK = END = 1

    >> Very pure.
    >>
    >> There is no discernable plain-text signature at either the beginning
    >> or end of the file.

    > Just a guess, but because of the time era, I'd try converting several
    > bytes as if they were EBCDIC.

    I did using three different EBCDIC to ASCII tables and got gibberish each
    time.

    Mike Ober.

+ Reply to Thread