tcpip servies and formfeeds - VMS

This is a discussion on tcpip servies and formfeeds - VMS ; Hello, After switching from VMS 7.2-1 to VMS 7.3-2, and switching from multinet to tcpip services v5.4, eco5 (tcpip services was mgt decision), I found that the tcpip services used a system-wide logical to control formfeeds instead of the by-queue ...

  1. tcpip servies and formfeeds

    Hello,

    After switching from VMS 7.2-1 to VMS 7.3-2, and switching from
    multinet to tcpip services v5.4, eco5 (tcpip services was mgt
    decision), I found that the tcpip services used a system-wide logical
    to control formfeeds instead of the by-queue logical in multinet.
    Having two nodes in the cluster, I found that I was creating a sort
    of nasty see-saw effect by changing the logical from the default to a
    new value needed by a particular queue, then doing a stop/reset on the
    queue. The second node still had the default formfeed value while the
    stop/reset command worked on both nodes. A job submitted on node 1
    went OK but from node 2, formfed incorrectly. I learned to get around
    this by defining the telnetsym_suppress_formfeeds logical in LNM
    $SYSCLUSTER_TABLE, so both nodes got the proper value. My life got
    much easier.

    Now, I'm experiencing something new. After some network oddity the
    other week (nortel problem. ask our network guru), along with a DECW
    problem that kept me from using my HP supplied KVM to login or even
    use boot prompt (working on it), I shutdown and restarted one node.
    Either a programmer happened that same weekend to make changes to a
    report or two or three that included formfeed changes (unlikely) OR
    something else changed so that a number of my 800+ queues no longer
    like the formfeed value they liked previously. I've had complaints
    from about a dozen queues. While that could be seen as not bad, 12
    out of 800+, you can't tell that to my users.

    I have the following logical values set
    (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_ENABLE" [super] = ".1.."
    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_ENABLE" [exec] = ".1.."
    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_IDLE_TIMEOUT" = "0 00:01:00 00"
    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_NO_OPCOM" = "1"
    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_RAW_TCP" = "1"
    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_RETRY_INTERVAL" = "0 00:00:30.00"
    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_VERBOSE" = "DISABLE"

    (LNM$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE)

    "TCPIP$TELNETSYM_SUPPRESS_FORMFEEDS" = "18"

    While I'm trying to find the new formfeed value that'll make them
    happy, can anyone out there suggest what's occured to cause this?

    BTW, I've tried /NO_INITIAL_FF , ]VMS;2\, etc, on different
    queues. So far, the best thing has been the formfeed suppression
    advice I got from someone at HP that I've incorporated into a fairly
    simple bit of DCL used by me and our operators.:
    $! Values for TCPIP$TELNETSYM_SUPPRESS_FORMFEEDS
    $! o Level 1 suppression will not eliminate form feed characters
    after the
    $! initial one, but will substitute linefeed for formfeed, such that
    what
    $! would have been CR/FF in output becomes CR/LF
    $! o Level 2 eliminates all form feed characters and CR/FF sequences
    from
    $! output
    $! Level 1 = 17,18,19 - trailing, leading, both.
    $! Level 2 = 33,34,35 - trailing, leading, both.

    Thanks in advance,
    C.Durfee

  2. Re: tcpip servies and formfeeds

    On Nov 29, 7:36 pm, charles.dur...@bassett.org wrote:
> [...]
    > happy, can anyone out there suggest what's occured to cause this?
    >
    > BTW, I've tried /NO_INITIAL_FF , ]VMS;2\, etc, on different
    > queues. So far, the best thing has been the formfeed suppression
    > advice I got from someone at HP that I've incorporated into a fairly
    > simple bit of DCL used by me and our operators.:
    > $! Values for TCPIP$TELNETSYM_SUPPRESS_FORMFEEDS
    > $! o Level 1 suppression will not eliminate form feed characters
    > after the
    > $! initial one, but will substitute linefeed for formfeed, such that
    > what
    > $! would have been CR/FF in output becomes CR/LF
    > $! o Level 2 eliminates all form feed characters and CR/FF sequences
    > from
    > $! output
    > $! Level 1 = 17,18,19 - trailing, leading, both.
    > $! Level 2 = 33,34,35 - trailing, leading, both.

    P.S. After I set a non-default formfeed value and reset the queue, I
    put the formfeed valued back to the default - or at least what has
    seemed to work best for most of our queues.
    Example:

    $ DEFINE/TABLE=LNM$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE TCPIP
    $TELNETSYM_SUPPRESS_FORMFEEDS 17
    $ stop/reset queue01
    $ start queue01
    $ DEFINE/TABLE=LNM$SYSCLUSTER_TABLE TCPIP
    $TELNETSYM_SUPPRESS_FORMFEEDS 18

+ Reply to Thread