Are rejected (J) messages counted against the license limit? - VMS

This is a discussion on Are rejected (J) messages counted against the license limit? - VMS ; Gentle folk, Are messages classified as "J" (reJected) in PMDF's log files counted against the license limit? We are running %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.3 Digital Personal WorkStation running OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.3-x11; linked 19:47:06, May 31 ...

  1. Are rejected (J) messages counted against the license limit?

    Gentle folk,

    Are messages classified as "J" (reJected) in PMDF's log files
    counted against the license limit?

    We are running
    %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.3
    Digital Personal WorkStation running OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2
    PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.3-x11; linked 19:47:06, May 31 2007

    Our traffic (mostly due to spam, of course) has been increaseing
    so that now it looks like we may be aproaching our formal license limit
    of 30,000 messages per day, a small number compared to some other
    sites, I'm sure.

    When I counted the number of J entries in yesterday's log file,
    I found that about 10,000 messages had been rejected. So now I'm
    wondering if they're included in the number of messages that PMDF
    counts against the license value.

    Thanks for whatever clarification can be provided.

    Selden
    ======
    Selden E. Ball, Jr.

    Cornell University Voice: +1-607-255-0688
    Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics FAX: +1-607-255-8062
    LT105 R. R. Wilson Laboratory http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/
    Dryden Road Internet: SEB@LEPP.CORNELL.EDU
    Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001 HEPnet/SPAN: LNS62::SEB = 44284::SEB

  2. Re: Are rejected (J) messages counted against the license limit?

    > Gentle folk,

    > Are messages classified as "J" (reJected) in PMDF's log files
    > counted against the license limit?

    > We are running
    > %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.3
    > Digital Personal WorkStation running OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2
    > PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.3-x11; linked 19:47:06, May 31 2007

    > Our traffic (mostly due to spam, of course) has been increaseing
    > so that now it looks like we may be aproaching our formal license limit
    > of 30,000 messages per day, a small number compared to some other
    > sites, I'm sure.

    > When I counted the number of J entries in yesterday's log file,
    > I found that about 10,000 messages had been rejected. So now I'm
    > wondering if they're included in the number of messages that PMDF
    > counts against the license value.

    Unless Process has changed something, what is counted are enqueue transactions
    from a subset of all the channels. Some J records are associated with a
    transaction but are handled separately and should not add to the total.

    Ned

  3. Re: Are rejected (J) messages counted against the license limit?

    Ned,

    So the "messages processed so far today" value
    shown on the Monitoring Web page
    (http://"pmdf server":7633/monitor/monitorv_js.html
    does not include the J messages.

    Thanks!

    s.

    > > Gentle folk,

    > > Are messages classified as "J" (reJected) in PMDF's log files
    > > counted against the license limit?

    > > We are running
    > > %PMDF-I-VERSION, PMDF version is PMDF V6.3
    > > Digital Personal WorkStation running OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2
    > > PMDF_SHARE_LIBRARY version V6.3-x11; linked 19:47:06, May 31 2007

    > > Our traffic (mostly due to spam, of course) has been increaseing
    > > so that now it looks like we may be aproaching our formal license limit
    > > of 30,000 messages per day, a small number compared to some other
    > > sites, I'm sure.

    > > When I counted the number of J entries in yesterday's log file,
    > > I found that about 10,000 messages had been rejected. So now I'm
    > > wondering if they're included in the number of messages that PMDF
    > > counts against the license value.

    > Unless Process has changed something, what is counted are enqueue transactions
    > from a subset of all the channels. Some J records are associated with a
    > transaction but are handled separately and should not add to the total.

    > Ned

  4. Re: Are rejected (J) messages counted against the license limit?

    > Ned,

    > So the "messages processed so far today" value
    > shown on the Monitoring Web page
    > (http://"pmdf server":7633/monitor/monitorv_js.html
    > does not include the J messages.

    That's essentially correct, although the specifics are a bit more subtle.

    A message can have both valid and invalid recipients. Valid recipients generate
    E records, invalid recipients generate J records. If a message has no valid
    recipients it isn't accepted and doesn't count as a processed message. If,
    OTOH, it has at least one valid recipient, it does get counted. So in some
    sense there can be J records associated with a message that increments the
    "processed message" count. But they never make the count any higher.

    Ned

+ Reply to Thread