VMS 30th anniversary contest - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS 30th anniversary contest - VMS ; HP-USA has setup a contest to celebrate the 30th anniversary of VMS. http://www.hp.com/go/celebrate30 You need a valid system serial number. And you gtet some t-shirt and chance to win one of them IA64 contraptions. Contest opened to USA residents only. ...

  1. VMS 30th anniversary contest

    HP-USA has setup a contest to celebrate the 30th anniversary of VMS.

    http://www.hp.com/go/celebrate30

    You need a valid system serial number. And you gtet some t-shirt and
    chance to win one of them IA64 contraptions.

    Contest opened to USA residents only. Your mileage may vary.

    1 Free HP OpenVMS anniversary offer subject to HP terms and conditions.
    Offer available to all customers with a valid serial number while
    supplies last. You must meet HP qualifications. HP may discontinue this
    offer at anytime.

    2 Contest Rules: No purchase necessary. Open only to U.S. entries.
    Entries must be received by January 15, 2008. HP will determine and
    select the winner from all valid entries received, based on the oldest
    running instance of HP OpenVMS currently in production. HP reserves the
    right to disqualify entries for any reason. The winner will be announced
    in February 2008.

  2. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article <37261$474e01dc$cef8887a$6215@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei writes:

    >HP-USA has setup a contest to celebrate the 30th anniversary of VMS.
    >
    >http://www.hp.com/go/celebrate30
    >
    >You need a valid system serial number. And you gtet some t-shirt and
    >chance to win one of them IA64 contraptions.
    >
    >Contest opened to USA residents only. Your mileage may vary.
    >

    >1 Free HP OpenVMS anniversary offer subject to HP terms and conditions.
    >Offer available to all customers with a valid serial number while
    >supplies last. You must meet HP qualifications. HP may discontinue this
    >offer at anytime.

    ....and what are HP qualifications?

    I asked Sue about this when the letter arrived. My old VAXen are not HP
    servers. Anyway, if anyone here has an old 11/780 in service, you should
    be the winner.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > I still remember the serial number of our first VMS system: NI80012904C
    > (that was a VAX 11/780 put into service in January 1980).

    In the all-mighty Microvax II days, the serial number was attached to
    the cabinet. While I still have the MV-II, it has been pulled from the
    cabinet and the cabinet now has an alpha, a vax 4000-600, a -200
    (turned off) and routers etc. I wonder if that might be considered
    acceptable :-)

    I could always plug in the MVII on the floor just to prove it still
    works :-)

    Since I can't participate in that contest (not a US citizen), it is
    moot. But I suspect HP might find itself with a lot of "questionable"
    serial numbers of systems which may or many not still be in real daily use.

  4. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article ,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    >> I still remember the serial number of our first VMS system: NI80012904C
    >> (that was a VAX 11/780 put into service in January 1980).

    > In the all-mighty Microvax II days, the serial number was attached to
    > the cabinet. While I still have the MV-II, it has been pulled from the
    > cabinet and the cabinet now has an alpha, a vax 4000-600, a -200
    > (turned off) and routers etc. I wonder if that might be considered
    > acceptable :-)
    >
    > I could always plug in the MVII on the floor just to prove it still
    > works :-)
    >

    > Since I can't participate in that contest (not a US citizen), it is
    > moot. But I suspect HP might find itself with a lot of "questionable"
    > serial numbers of systems which may or many not still be in real daily use.

    I have a MicroVAX-II in my basement right now that while it hasn't been
    powered up lately, should run just fine if I did. I would bet it still
    has the version of MicroVMS on the disk that was used at the University
    when I go there 18 years ago.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  5. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    What happens if the serial number of the oldest system is published on
    the internet and everyone wno enters the contests enters that one serial
    number ?

    Will HP then have to give away one IA64 contraption to each participant
    who entered that serial number ? :-) :-) :-) :-) ;-)

  6. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    Well we're giving away an XP1000 that I bet will outlive an HP RX.
    And...without any strings attached

    You can be pakistani, chinese Canadian British French or American
    We dislike everyone equally here !!!!
    (Just kidding, you know we "love" you all.... as long as you keep buying
    stuff from us !
    No serial number required - we just ask that you don't put it on Ebay the
    day you get it !!!!!!

    ;0)

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > What happens if the serial number of the oldest system is published on the
    > internet and everyone wno enters the contests enters that one serial
    > number ?
    >
    > Will HP then have to give away one IA64 contraption to each participant
    > who entered that serial number ? :-) :-) :-) :-) ;-)

  7. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > I asked Sue about this when the letter arrived. My old VAXen are not HP
    > servers. Anyway, if anyone here has an old 11/780 in service, you should
    > be the winner.

    Must be some. But right now I can't go back past VMS 4.7 on an
    11/785.

    It appears to be the version of VMS "in production", not the age or
    model of the processor that HP is interested in. Although I've used
    versions that would only boot on an 11/780, I've never seen
    anything pre VMS 2.5 "in production", and I know those particular
    systems have been retired.

  8. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article <6698d$474e2c4b$cef8887a$1453@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei writes:
    > What happens if the serial number of the oldest system is published on
    > the internet and everyone wno enters the contests enters that one serial
    > number ?
    >
    > Will HP then have to give away one IA64 contraption to each participant
    > who entered that serial number ? :-) :-) :-) :-) ;-)

    Reminds me of VW's 25th Aniversary of sales in the US. They promised
    a new Beetle to owner of the oldest running Beetle in the US.

    Problem was, one fellow had it and claimed it was given to him. The
    other fellow had the title and claimed he'd only loaned it to the first
    fellow.

    VW didn't want thier promotion to become a court battle. They gave away
    two new cars.

  9. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    On Nov 29, 9:49 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >

    > > I asked Sue about this when the letter arrived. My old VAXen are not HP
    > > servers. Anyway, if anyone here has an old 11/780 in service, you should
    > > be the winner.

    > Must be some. But right now I can't go back past VMS 4.7 on an
    > 11/785.
    >
    > It appears to be the version of VMS "in production", not the age or
    > model of the processor that HP is interested in. Although I've used
    > versions that would only boot on an 11/780, I've never seen
    > anything pre VMS 2.5 "in production", and I know those particular
    > systems have been retired.

    I'm definitely puzzled by the motivation for this contest.

    "You bought our system eons ago, never upgraded, so now we'll reward
    you for not giving us any additional business by giving you your very
    own Integrity server! We hope you enjoy porting your app from VMS 2.5
    to 8.3!"

    Oh, I see, they want to sell consulting services for the port (but to
    only one luck winner!). :-)

    Additionally, some in this ng often tell me to upgrade every time I
    post a problem or question! ;-) (OK, I assume even my VMS V6.1 systems
    aren't old enough.)

    AEF

  10. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    On Nov 29, 7:49 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >

    > > I asked Sue about this when the letter arrived. My old VAXen are not HP
    > > servers. Anyway, if anyone here has an old 11/780 in service, you should
    > > be the winner.

    > Must be some. But right now I can't go back past VMS 4.7 on an
    > 11/785.
    >
    > It appears to be the version of VMS "in production", not the age or
    > model of the processor that HP is interested in. Although I've used
    > versions that would only boot on an 11/780, I've never seen
    > anything pre VMS 2.5 "in production", and I know those particular
    > systems have been retired.

    My desktop workstation dual boots V5.5-2 and V6.2. There are a couple
    of very old XUI programs that didn't work under Motif that were my
    excuse for hanging on to the original system disk (RZ24, came with the
    box in 1989). I know I'm beat by years by others out there but I'm
    still happy with this old beast.

    Rich

  11. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    On Nov 29, 11:59 am, AEF wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 9:49 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    >

    > Koehler) wrote:
    > > In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > > > I asked Sue about this when the letter arrived. My old VAXen are not HP
    > > > servers. Anyway, if anyone here has an old 11/780 in service, you should
    > > > be the winner.

    > > Must be some. But right now I can't go back past VMS 4.7 on an
    > > 11/785.

    > > It appears to be the version of VMS "in production", not the age or
    > > model of the processor that HP is interested in. Although I've used
    > > versions that would only boot on an 11/780, I've never seen
    > > anything pre VMS 2.5 "in production", and I know those particular
    > > systems have been retired.

    > I'm definitely puzzled by the motivation for this contest.
    >
    > "You bought our system eons ago, never upgraded, so now we'll reward
    > you for not giving us any additional business by giving you your very
    > own Integrity server! We hope you enjoy porting your app from VMS 2.5
    > to 8.3!"
    >
    > Oh, I see, they want to sell consulting services for the port (but to
    > only one luck winner!). :-)
    >
    > Additionally, some in this ng often tell me to upgrade every time I
    > post a problem or question! ;-) (OK, I assume even my VMS V6.1 systems
    > aren't old enough.)
    >
    > AEF

    AEF,
    the site asks for a serial number and says "if you have the
    oldest running HP OpenVMS server, you'll win"; pretty sure that means
    just hardware, not software version.

  12. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    On Nov 29, 3:03 pm, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 11:59 am, AEF wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 29, 9:49 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob

    > > Koehler) wrote:

    > > > Must be some. But right now I can't go back past VMS 4.7 on an
    > > > 11/785.

    > > > It appears to be the version of VMS "in production", not the age or
    > > > model of the processor that HP is interested in. Although I've used
    > > > versions that would only boot on an 11/780, I've never seen
    > > > anything pre VMS 2.5 "in production", and I know those particular
    > > > systems have been retired.

    > > I'm definitely puzzled by the motivation for this contest.

    > > "You bought our system eons ago, never upgraded, so now we'll reward
    > > you for not giving us any additional business by giving you your very
    > > own Integrity server! We hope you enjoy porting your app from VMS 2.5
    > > to 8.3!"

    > > Oh, I see, they want to sell consulting services for the port (but to
    > > only one luck winner!). :-)

    > > Additionally, some in this ng often tell me to upgrade every time I
    > > post a problem or question! ;-) (OK, I assume even my VMS V6.1 systems
    > > aren't old enough.)

    > > AEF

    > AEF,
    > the site asks for a serial number and says "if you have the
    > oldest running HP OpenVMS server, you'll win"; pretty sure that means
    > just hardware, not software version.

    Well, that contradicts the post I replied to, so ... whatever.

    AEF

  13. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    On Nov 29, 3:03 pm, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 11:59 am, AEF wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 29, 9:49 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob

    > > Koehler) wrote:

    > > > Must be some. But right now I can't go back past VMS 4.7 on an
    > > > 11/785.

    > > > It appears to be the version of VMS "in production", not the age or
    > > > model of the processor that HP is interested in. Although I've used
    > > > versions that would only boot on an 11/780, I've never seen
    > > > anything pre VMS 2.5 "in production", and I know those particular
    > > > systems have been retired.

    > > I'm definitely puzzled by the motivation for this contest.

    > > "You bought our system eons ago, never upgraded, so now we'll reward
    > > you for not giving us any additional business by giving you your very
    > > own Integrity server! We hope you enjoy porting your app from VMS 2.5
    > > to 8.3!"

    > > Oh, I see, they want to sell consulting services for the port (but to
    > > only one luck winner!). :-)

    > > Additionally, some in this ng often tell me to upgrade every time I
    > > post a problem or question! ;-) (OK, I assume even my VMS V6.1 systems
    > > aren't old enough.)

    > > AEF

    > AEF,
    > the site asks for a serial number and says "if you have the
    > oldest running HP OpenVMS server, you'll win"; pretty sure that means
    > just hardware, not software version.

    Well, I just checked. The title says, "We're looking for the oldest
    running instance of HP OpenVMS" which supports Bob's statement, but in
    totality the page is somewhat ambiguous as to what is meant.

    AEF

  14. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    AEF wrote:
    > I'm definitely puzzled by the motivation for this contest.
    >
    > "You bought our system eons ago, never upgraded, so now we'll reward
    > you for not giving us any additional business by giving you your very
    > own Integrity server! We hope you enjoy porting your app from VMS 2.5
    > to 8.3!"

    Look, VMS management got a few thousand bucks of marketing budget to
    celebrate the 30 anniversary of VMS. And finding out the oldest running
    VMS site would be interesting. By giving a free IA64 contraption, the
    VMS group probably gains the right to publish the name of the winner and
    brag about VMS being able to run for X years, being stable etc. And if
    they get that customer to migrate to that IA64 contraption, they can
    even claim how easy it was to migrate 30 year old software to that IA74
    contraption etc etc.

    There is good marketing potential for this. Of course we all know that
    whatever marketing the VMS group does, no matter how good it might be,
    will only reach the installed base.

  15. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article <967e4425-1ad9-4f27-9ef1-15e5e216069f@t47g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, AEF writes:

    >On Nov 29, 9:49 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    >Koehler) wrote:
    >> In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>

    >> > I asked Sue about this when the letter arrived. My old VAXen are not HP
    >> > servers. Anyway, if anyone here has an old 11/780 in service, you should
    >> > be the winner.

    >> Must be some. But right now I can't go back past VMS 4.7 on an
    >> 11/785.
    >>
    >> It appears to be the version of VMS "in production", not the age or
    >> model of the processor that HP is interested in. Although I've used
    >> versions that would only boot on an 11/780, I've never seen
    >> anything pre VMS 2.5 "in production", and I know those particular
    >> systems have been retired.

    >I'm definitely puzzled by the motivation for this contest.
    >
    >"You bought our system eons ago, never upgraded, so now we'll reward
    >you for not giving us any additional business by giving you your very
    >own Integrity server! We hope you enjoy porting your app from VMS 2.5
    >to 8.3!"
    >
    >Oh, I see, they want to sell consulting services for the port (but to
    >only one luck winner!). :-)

    Dear Contest Winner,

    See me after HP has quoted you the rate to port your VAX VMS 2.5 app to
    OpenVMS Itanium 8.3. I promise to best their quote.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  16. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article <6vG3j.68$Wr5.20@newsfe10.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > See me after HP has quoted you the rate to port your VAX VMS 2.5 app to
    > OpenVMS Itanium 8.3. I promise to best their quote.

    Will you include converting the $15 million US custom UNIBUS
    peripheral to something that can attach to the Integrity?

  17. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article <4ZMqswufbkWv@eisner.encompasserve.org>, koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    >In article <6vG3j.68$Wr5.20@newsfe10.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>
    >> See me after HP has quoted you the rate to port your VAX VMS 2.5 app to
    >> OpenVMS Itanium 8.3. I promise to best their quote.
    >>

    > Will you include converting the $15 million US custom UNIBUS
    > peripheral to something that can attach to the Integrity?

    Isn't there a PCI-X to UNIBUS adapter available for Integrity?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  18. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <4ZMqswufbkWv@eisner.encompasserve.org>, koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >>
    >> In article <6vG3j.68$Wr5.20@newsfe10.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >>> See me after HP has quoted you the rate to port your VAX VMS 2.5 app to
    >>> OpenVMS Itanium 8.3. I promise to best their quote.
    >>>

    >> Will you include converting the $15 million US custom UNIBUS
    >> peripheral to something that can attach to the Integrity?

    > Isn't there a PCI-X to UNIBUS adapter available for Integrity?

    Isn't UniBuS the same as USB? :-) You wouldn't need to convert anything,
    just plug it into the port supplied on the Integrity.

    Regards, Tim.

  19. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    In article <474f366f$0$25975$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>, Tim Sneddon writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >>> Will you include converting the $15 million US custom UNIBUS
    >>> peripheral to something that can attach to the Integrity?

    >> Isn't there a PCI-X to UNIBUS adapter available for Integrity?
    >>

    >Isn't UniBuS the same as USB? :-) You wouldn't need to convert anything,
    >just plug it into the port supplied on the Integrity.

    Or maybe there's a USB to UniBuS widget.... Hey Forrest!

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  20. Re: VMS 30th anniversary contest

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <6vG3j.68$Wr5.20@newsfe10.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >> See me after HP has quoted you the rate to port your VAX VMS 2.5 app to
    >> OpenVMS Itanium 8.3. I promise to best their quote.
    >>

    > Will you include converting the $15 million US custom UNIBUS
    > peripheral to something that can attach to the Integrity?

    I'll help out. I think that a little TLC could solve that problem.

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

+ Reply to Thread