Rsync on VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Rsync on VMS - VMS ; Is Rsync or anything equivalent available on VMS and what are peoples exeperience. I am trying to synchronise files between different disks (same and different machines) Andrwe...

  1. Rsync on VMS

    Is Rsync or anything equivalent available on VMS and what are peoples
    exeperience.
    I am trying to synchronise files between different disks (same and
    different machines)

    Andrwe

  2. Re: Rsync on VMS

    On Nov 22, 11:06 am, "Andrew Black (delete obvious bit)"
    wrote:
    > Is Rsync or anything equivalent available on VMS and what are peoples
    > exeperience.
    > I am trying to synchronise files between different disks (same and
    > different machines)
    >
    > Andrwe

    rsync for OpenVMS - ported by John Malmberg
    http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~malmberg/rsync/
    rsync (for unix) homepage
    http://rsync.samba.org/

    * Also...

    COMPARE_DIR
    Compare two directories, reporting missing files, etc.
    http://vms.process.com/scripts/files...om?COMPARE_DIR
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/f...0/compare_dir/

    Guiffy - Advanced Cross-Platform Diff/Merge software
    http://www.guiffy.com/
    see screen shot of Guiffy 5.0 on OpenVMS
    http://www.guiffy.com/shots.html

    * Here are some DCL Procedures that may suffice or be adapted for your
    purpose...

    COPY_IF_NEWER
    http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../09/23/4479412

    List_unique_files.com
    http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../03/12/9626497

    List_unique_files.com part II
    http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../03/22/8049141

    * Some tools that may be useful to roll your own Dir Compare/Merge
    Utility...

    CMPDIR
    Compare two directories like DCL DIFFERENCES
    http://vms.process.com/scripts/files...erv.com?CMPDIR
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/cmpdir/

    diffutils - TU Delft - HREM
    http://nchrem.tnw.tudelft.nl/openvms/software2.html#DFU

    diffutils - OpenVMS Freeware CD v5
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/f.../gnudiffutils/

    GNUDIFFUTILS - pdv-systeme
    ftp://ftp.pdv-systeme.de/vms/

    * The original Norton Utilities for DOS had a nice Directory Merge/
    Compare function, so one or more of the following NU-like clones may
    have the capability as well...

    CRS - Norton Commander-style directory browser for VMS
    http://vms.process.com/scripts/files...leserv.com?CRS
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/crs/

    VTFM - Norton Commander-Style File Manager
    http://vms.process.com/scripts/files...eserv.com?VTfm
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/vtfm/

    * Some other File Managers for OpenVMS...

    FilesPlus - by WDA System Software
    http://www.dempsey.com/prodsvms.html#abv

    flist - TPU-based directory and file manager
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/flist/
    http://vms.process.com/scripts/files...ll&RD=&RM=&RY=
    http://invisible-island.net/flist/flist.html

    FILEMASTER - Diskeeper Corp.
    http://www.execsoft.com/products/vms-vax/vms-vax.asp

    DX - Directory eXtension (File and Directory Manager)
    http://vms.process.com/scripts/fileserv/fileserv.com?DX
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/dx/

    C SWING with MOST
    http://www-rak.sggw.waw.pl/info/tools/SWING/
    http://vms.process.com/ftp/vms-freeware/NARNIA/

    Cheers!

    Keith Cayemberg

  3. Re: Rsync on VMS

    Hi Andrew,

    one caution about that rsync for OpenVMS URL. After reading further,
    it appears to me to be an unfinished project looking for further
    participants.

    Cheers!

    Keith

  4. Re: Rsync on VMS

    Andrew Black (delete obvious bit) wrote:
    > Is Rsync or anything equivalent available on VMS and what are peoples
    > exeperience.
    > I am trying to synchronise files between different disks (same and
    > different machines)

    Rsync needs some work to make it reliable on VMS. I have not had the
    time to do any updates to it for a few years.

    I was doing daily builds for a while, but no longer have the time.

    I do not know how long it would take for me to reproduce the binary that
    I am using now, and it has too many bugs for me to post it anywhere.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.net
    Personal Opinion Only

  5. Re: Rsync on VMS

    In article , "Andrew Black (delete obvious bit)" writes:
    > Is Rsync or anything equivalent available on VMS and what are peoples
    > exeperience.
    > I am trying to synchronise files between different disks (same and
    > different machines)

    The very best way to synchronise files between different disks on
    the same or different machine is to put the machines in a VMScluster
    and set the disks to shadow each other.

+ Reply to Thread