Upgrading older Alpha storage from KZPSA to KZPBA - VMS

This is a discussion on Upgrading older Alpha storage from KZPSA to KZPBA - VMS ; One of our older sites has two AS1000A 5/400 servers running dual shared SCSI busses with older BA356 towers. Drives are shadowed between the two busses. The system works fine but maintenance costs have reached a tipping point. We're looking ...

  1. Upgrading older Alpha storage from KZPSA to KZPBA

    One of our older sites has two AS1000A 5/400 servers running dual
    shared SCSI busses with older BA356 towers. Drives are shadowed
    between the two busses. The system works fine but maintenance costs
    have reached a tipping point.

    We're looking at making the site self-maintaining for now by laying in
    a spares collection. One question came up. Can a KZPBA differential
    controller transparently replace a KZPSA differential controller? I
    know we won't see a performance boost (since the drives, towers, and
    DWZZB converters are all fast wide, not ultra-wide), but would the
    system have any issues with one or more KZPSA's being replaced with
    KZPBAs? Any configuration changes needed? Both controllers are
    listed as supported on the AS1000A platform.

    Systems are running VMS V7.3-2, fully updated.

    If we can use KZPBAs then we can also purchase ultrawide-capable
    drives, towers, and converters which are currently somewhat easier
    (and no more expensive) to get.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Upgrading older Alpha storage from KZPSA to KZPBA

    Rich Jordan wrote:
    > One of our older sites has two AS1000A 5/400 servers running dual
    > shared SCSI busses with older BA356 towers. Drives are shadowed
    > between the two busses. The system works fine but maintenance costs
    > have reached a tipping point.
    >
    > We're looking at making the site self-maintaining for now by laying in
    > a spares collection. One question came up. Can a KZPBA differential
    > controller transparently replace a KZPSA differential controller? I
    > know we won't see a performance boost (since the drives, towers, and
    > DWZZB converters are all fast wide, not ultra-wide), but would the
    > system have any issues with one or more KZPSA's being replaced with
    > KZPBAs? Any configuration changes needed? Both controllers are
    > listed as supported on the AS1000A platform.
    >
    > Systems are running VMS V7.3-2, fully updated.
    >
    > If we can use KZPBAs then we can also purchase ultrawide-capable
    > drives, towers, and converters which are currently somewhat easier
    > (and no more expensive) to get.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you replace the adapters by taking the KZPSA out and putting the
    KZPBA-CB(-CY) in the same PCI slot, it should be transparent. If you put
    the new adapter in another slot, the device names might change.

    Regards,

    Kari

+ Reply to Thread