A Look Ahead to 2008 - VMS

This is a discussion on A Look Ahead to 2008 - VMS ; As I mentioned to Sue in another post, 2008 marks the year that my current (healthcare) site begins to phase out VMS completely. We're moving to IBM+AIX on p5-Series. On a more personal note, I'll be focusing on non-EDP related ...

  1. A Look Ahead to 2008

    As I mentioned to Sue in another post, 2008 marks the year that my current
    (healthcare) site begins to phase out VMS completely. We're moving to IBM+AIX on
    p5-Series.

    On a more personal note, I'll be focusing on non-EDP related pursuits with the
    dawn of the new year. I need to find creative ways fund our retirement and
    arrange for my wife to open her bead shop. When I do surf the EDP-related
    newsgroups, it will likely be on comp.unix.aix.

    I expect to continue my current hosting arrangements which support djesys.com as
    well as my personal pages on Earthlink. So, those will continue to go further
    stale but will remain available for at least the years thru 31-Dec-2010.

    I want to thank the many who have helped me with all my technical issues over
    the years, express my continued support to those who have benefitted from my
    experience, and also apologize for having "gotten into it" those many times when
    ego and emotion won out over common sense.

    A bit early perhaps, wishing all a Wonderful Holiday Season as well as a
    prosperous and health-filled New Year.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  2. Re: A Look Ahead to 2008

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:26:51 -0800, David J Dachtera
    wrote:

    > As I mentioned to Sue in another post, 2008 marks the year that my
    > current
    > (healthcare) site begins to phase out VMS completely. We're moving to
    > IBM+AIX on
    > p5-Series.

    Look on the bright side, now you will have a PL/I compiler with built XML
    parser (even OO extensions FWIW) from a vendor who doesn't keep changing
    architecture:-)

    > On a more personal note, I'll be focusing on non-EDP related pursuits
    > with the
    > dawn of the new year. I need to find creative ways fund our retirement
    > and
    > arrange for my wife to open her bead shop. When I do surf the EDP-related
    > newsgroups, it will likely be on comp.unix.aix.
    >
    > I expect to continue my current hosting arrangements which support
    > djesys.com as
    > well as my personal pages on Earthlink. So, those will continue to go
    > further
    > stale but will remain available for at least the years thru 31-Dec-2010.
    >
    > I want to thank the many who have helped me with all my technical issues
    > over
    > the years, express my continued support to those who have benefitted
    > from my
    > experience, and also apologize for having "gotten into it" those many
    > times when
    > ego and emotion won out over common sense.
    >
    > A bit early perhaps, wishing all a Wonderful Holiday Season as well as a
    > prosperous and health-filled New Year.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: A Look Ahead to 2008

    It seems to be that HP is driving everyone away from this platform,
    not realizing that we will all abandoned HP, not just OpenVMS.
    Currently, I'm writing my last ever OpenVMS based geek book. "The
    Minimum You Need to Know About SOA". I was going to can this book,
    but only have about 6 chapters left to go on it and it "might" cover
    the printing costs. Any books I write in the future will be either
    novels or Ubuntu oriented since that is the Unix platform of choice in
    the industry.

    On a side note, I am interested in finding someone (actually a group
    of someones) with a merchant account willing to staff a booth at the
    Feb HP show in Las Vegas. I want them to peddle the 3 current books
    in "The Minimum You Need to Know" series.

  4. Re: A Look Ahead to 2008

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > We're moving to IBM+AIX on p5-Series.

    Since it is inevitable that some HP apologist will blame this on JF, I
    might as well apoligise in advance for having caused the loss of an HP
    customer I don't even know. :-)

    To Mr Dachtera, in a way, I envy you. Once fully weined from VMS, you
    won't have to worry about what HP's true intentions are with regards to VMS.

    My only suggestion would be to ignore HP's requests for an explanation
    (if they even notice the loss of a customer). Just tell them that you
    have given them FOR YEARS hints of the simple things that they needed to
    do to retain VMS customers and they ignored you. Tell them that by the
    time they notice a customer leaving, it is way too late. They had plenty
    of warnings from you (and many others) and chose to ignore those.

    When Hoff repeatedly stated that there were no plans to move VMS beyond
    IA64, I think he really meant it. Perhaps HP expects VMS loyalists to
    prostitute themselves and support IA64 because they know that VMS will
    die with IA64, so the longer IA64 lives, the longer VMS lives.

  5. Re: A Look Ahead to 2008

    David J Dachtera wrote in

    [..snip..]

    > I want to thank the many who have helped me with all my technical
    > issues over the years, express my continued support to those who have
    > benefitted from my experience, and also apologize for having "gotten
    > into it" those many times when ego and emotion won out over common
    > sense.

    I thank *you* for your contributions. You have definitely been a help to
    me.

    > A bit early perhaps, wishing all a Wonderful Holiday Season as well as
    > a prosperous and health-filled New Year.

    I wish the same for you and others here.

    Tad

+ Reply to Thread