NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer - VMS

This is a discussion on NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer - VMS ; Neil Rieck wrote in news:9e8722f7-dd16-45cb-b772-dda61937c380@d27g2000prf.googlegroups.com: > On Nov 28, 2:50 pm, Alfred Falk wrote: >> Neil Rieck wrote >> innews:303adb89-0e85-457b-861e- 9ce2618852ea@g30g2000hsb.goog legroups.c >> om: >> >> >> >> > And to the person who sent me a private note telling ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

  1. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    Neil Rieck wrote in

    > On Nov 28, 2:50 pm, Alfred Falk wrote:
    >> Neil Rieck wrote
    >> innews:303adb89-0e85-457b-861e-

    9ce2618852ea@g30g2000hsb.googlegroups.c
    >> om:
    >>

    >> > And to the person who sent me a private note telling me the
    >> > American economy is doing just fine I'd just like to say this: In
    >> > 2003 one Canadian dollar got you 67 American cents. Today the
    >> > Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar (last month
    >> > it was $1.07 but is closer to $1.01 today). The last time this
    >> > happened was when the US was spending itself into a deep hole
    >> > called Vietnam.

    >> Your history is a little off, Neil. The Canadian dollar was high
    >> though the 50's, declining somewhat in the early 60's. The
    >> "Diefenbuck" pegged it at US$0.925 in 1962. The Vietnam war was just
    >> beginning to ramp up then.
    >>

    > I hope you don't think it's like throwing a switch. Vietnam started
    > under Kennedy and ramped up under Johnson. My "memory" of the Canadian
    > dollar being worth more than the US buck was around 1971-72.
    >
    > But check out this quote from Wikipedia under the article: "Nixon
    > Shock"

    Not disagreeing with you at all about war and economy. You just can't
    use US/Canadian dollar value as an indicator. The Cdn dollar was pegged
    at 92.5 cents US from 1962 and then rose again when allowed to float ca.
    1970, declining below the US dollar in 1976. Graph at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_dollar

    I used the term "ramping up" to describe 1962, because the Vietnam war
    was not big in public awareness until the early 60's. In 1960 we were
    hearing more about Laos than Vietnam. (And I had elementary school
    classmates in the 50's who describled themselves as coming from "Indo-
    China", which I could find on a map. We never even heard of "Vietnam"
    then.)

  2. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > we were invited there, so I only had to pay for the gas on the drive.
    > We topped up in upstate NY to avoid buying gas in Canada. What is the
    > price of gas up there?

    Price of Gas actually went down until just recently.We saw it go below
    $1.00 per litre until a couple of weeks ago when it started to play it
    yo-yo game between 1.00 and 1.10. Worldwide, in countries whose
    currency is not tagged to the USD, the price of fuel has not risen by
    that much.

    one USA-gallon = 3.78 litres. So at a $1.01 exchange rate, with $1.05
    fuel, it comes to just about USD$4.00 per US gallon. Note that petrol
    stations In quebec that are situated near the USA and Ontario borders
    get special tax treatment to make them competitive with the stations
    across the border and you get betwen 5 to 10 cents off the price per litre.

    The per barrel price, quoted in USD, has gone up mostly to match the
    decrease in value of the USD. At the last OPEC meeting, they discussed
    moving to the EURO to price oil, but in order to not offend the USA,
    they did not include this in any written communiqués.

    The big question is whether the current fiscal mess is temporary and
    will start to improve when the current administration leaves, or whether
    this is a more permanent re-adjustement of the US currency.

  3. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    Neil Rieck wrote:
    > under Kennedy and ramped up under Johnson. My "memory" of the Canadian
    > dollar being worth more than the US buck was around 1971-72.

    The last parity with USD had been seen in 1976 due to the Olympics being
    held in Montreal. Shortly after that event, the currency weakened, and
    later in 1976, when the separatists were elected in Quebec, it started a
    long slide of the CAD. (not all of it was caused by the PQ, but that is
    when it started to go down).

  4. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <949c2145-1cc1-40f8-807e-c2db48122d53@e1g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, Neil Rieck writes:

    >On Nov 28, 4:14 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> In article <474dc024$0$7607$157c6...@dreader2.cybercity.dk>, "Dr. Dweeb" writes:

    >[...snip...]
    >

    >> >As for leadership, you are your own masters when it comes to choosing a

    >> leader - choose a good one.
    >>
    >> That ain't happening any time soon I can assure you. Both parties suck
    >> and their candidates in the running suck even more.
    >>

    >What happens if Hillary gets in? (BTW, I have no opinion on her one
    >way or the other). This means that 2 families, the Bushs and the
    >Clintons, will have dominated presidential politics for 24 years.

    Exactly. Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton... yikes! Time to check out.

    >IMHO it is always a good idea to keep changing things.

    Politics in the USA needs more than a change! Revolution.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Price of Gas actually went down until just recently.We saw it go below
    > $1.00 per litre until a couple of weeks ago when it started to play it
    > yo-yo game between 1.00 and 1.10.

    Update. Went to fetch a chocolate bar at the local dépanneur (by bike,
    of course). The oil company's fancy random number generator set the
    price of gas at $1.14 today. Last time it was that high was when a
    barrel of oil broke the $40 mark.

    The oil companies known the elasticity of the market and know that avove
    1.15, the people start to take active measures to reduce consumption. It
    won't stay that high long.

  6. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Price of Gas actually went down until just recently.We saw it go
    >> below $1.00 per litre until a couple of weeks ago when it started to
    >> play it yo-yo game between 1.00 and 1.10.

    > Update. Went to fetch a chocolate bar at the local dépanneur (by bike,
    > of course). The oil company's fancy random number generator set the
    > price of gas at $1.14 today. Last time it was that high was when a
    > barrel of oil broke the $40 mark.
    >
    > The oil companies known the elasticity of the market and know that
    > avove 1.15, the people start to take active measures to reduce
    > consumption.
    > It won't stay that high long.

    US$2.10 here (according to www.xe.com conversion) yesterday, though the
    price varies on a daily basis.

    Dweeb

  7. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    Bob Willard wrote:

    > hyperlinks (Tim Berners-Lee of CERN, not NASA).

    A team around Tim Berners-Lee, not Tim himself alone was responsible.

    Hyperlinks were common before 1989 (birth of HTML/WWW):
    + very popular in form of HyperCard on the Mac
    + Project Xanadu in 1960
    + Memex (first idea of something like hypertext)

    Regards
    Götz
    --
    http://www.knubbelmac.de/

  8. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <00c4e2d2-3ea5-42e8-8b61-2ceaf1f0b932@o42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Neil Rieck writes:

    > A track where America once again leads all of the world's economies in
    > everything it does. A track where America's focus swings back to
    > dominance in science, technology and engineering while putting away
    > religious fundamentalism, xenophobia, rejection of science. A track
    > before the country was politically divided. A track before anyone
    > thought that fighting wars in Vietnam or Iraq were a good idea or
    > possibly an economic benefit.

    You want the 1950s? Before Vietnam was Korea. Women stayed in the
    kitchen and guys put grease in thier hair. And the far right fought
    against racial equality instead of gay rights.

    Rejection of science seems to be a property of religious
    fundamentalism. That and xenophobia have always been with us.
    Studies now show that conservative thinkers have trouble with the
    notion that there's more than one right way to do something. They've
    always been with us and they always will.

  9. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <474dc024$0$7607$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>, "Dr. Dweeb" writes:

    > As for leadership, you are your own masters when it comes to choosing a
    > leader - choose a good one.

    Not quite. The current voting laws give more power to the parties
    and only the less central candidates tend to survive, polarizing
    the elected.

  10. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <9e8722f7-dd16-45cb-b772-dda61937c380@d27g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Neil Rieck writes:

    > I hope you don't think it's like throwing a switch. Vietnam started
    > under Kennedy and ramped up under Johnson. My "memory" of the Canadian
    > dollar being worth more than the US buck was around 1971-72.

    Read your history books. Eisenhower sent the military into Vietnam
    before Kennedy was elected. He called the first deployments "military
    advisors".

    And like many other wars since the begining of the 20th century, oil
    was partially involved. There was a theory that there was oil under
    the Gulf of Tonkin. However the then recent defense of South Korea
    was more likely on the mind since oil at the time flowed cheaply
    and easily out of a middle east.

  11. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <9fd1f$474de50a$cef8887a$1530@TEKSAVVY.COM>, JF Mezei writes:

    > Not sure why you would consider it "nice" to go back 40 years in
    > technology and design.

    Works for UNIX. 8-(

    But doing software engineering for NASA, I can tell you there is
    much to be made of the KISS principle.

    And the differences between Apollo and Orion are primarily in areas
    where the Space Shuttle actually had some potential to succeed, like
    reusability. Unlike Apollo, Orion capsules are to be reuseable.
    Unlike shuttle, Orion complicating its design and execution.

  12. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article , JF Mezei writes:

    > The oil companies known the elasticity of the market and know that avove
    > 1.15, the people start to take active measures to reduce consumption. It
    > won't stay that high long.

    You want cheap gas? Find some imigrants (you know, the folks the
    conservatives don't like). The oil companies have found that they
    can't raise prices too high in neihborhoods with high imigrant
    population because, unlike "native" Americans, when the price is
    too high the imigrants will stop buying.

  13. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    On Nov 28, 6:15 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Neil Rieck wrote:
    > > under Kennedy and ramped up under Johnson. My "memory" of the Canadian
    > > dollar being worth more than the US buck was around 1971-72.

    > The last parity with USD had been seen in 1976 due to the Olympics being
    > held in Montreal. Shortly after that event, the currency weakened, and
    > later in 1976, when the separatists were elected in Quebec, it started a
    > long slide of the CAD. (not all of it was caused by the PQ, but that is
    > when it started to go down).

    JF. The Canadian economy is very small compared to the US. When our
    dollar goes up it is usually because their dollar has gone down. If
    you visit this site:

    http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/data.html

    ....then build a chart converting US dollars into Canadian dollars over
    the period of 1-Jan-1971 to 1-Dec-2007 (be sure to select "Monthly
    Averages" and "Price Notation"). You'll see the following:

    The Canadian dollar goes above the US dollar from Mar-72 through to
    Mar-73. The currency drifts down a penny or two for the rest of the
    year until it pops above the US dollar from Nov-73 to Jan-25. The
    dollar drifts down again then pops above the US dollar from Feb-76 to
    Nov-76. Remembering that these are monthly averages, the Canadian
    dollar doesn't pop up above the US dollar again until Oct-2007.

    Now when an industrial country goes to war, they tend to use up their
    stock piles (and economic reserves) for a time. When these become
    depleted, contractors are employed to manufacture replacements which
    tend to go directly to the battle. Once a war ends, the stock piles
    are replenished until the contracts are terminated. That is almost
    exactly what we see in those numbers.

    p.s. Does anyone out there have access to currency averages prior to
    1971?

    NSR

  14. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    On Nov 28, 6:15 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Neil Rieck wrote:
    > > under Kennedy and ramped up under Johnson. My "memory" of the Canadian
    > > dollar being worth more than the US buck was around 1971-72.

    > The last parity with USD had been seen in 1976 due to the Olympics being
    > held in Montreal. Shortly after that event, the currency weakened, and
    > later in 1976, when the separatists were elected in Quebec, it started a
    > long slide of the CAD. (not all of it was caused by the PQ, but that is
    > when it started to go down).

    JF. With all due respect to you Quebecors, there wasn't any problem
    with the PQ taking power in 1976, It was the passage of "bill 101" in
    1997 that forced an exodus of business from Montreal to Toronto which
    didn't stop until 1980. (remember the slogan "101 or 401"?)

    But at the end of the day, this move was revenue neutral to Canada and
    probably didn't affect the value of our dollar (although currency
    traders do attempt to blow things like "civil unrest" out of
    proportion to justify what they do).

    NSR

  15. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    On Nov 28, 4:31 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <303adb89-0e85-457b-861e-9ce261885...@g30g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Neil Rieck writes:

    {...snip...}

    > I am not against the stem-cell research. proNJ has most of the major
    > pharmaceutical research in the states, so why must the state fund that
    > which, until now, has run fine as commercial enterprise? I may have
    > been happy to see the referendum succeed if the proNJ's fiscal house
    > wasn't in such a shambles but expending $.5Billion, when the state is
    > already so deep into the hole that it may ever crawl out, without ANY
    > guarantee that the research would pay off is wrong. The state's con-
    > stitution (not that any constitutional rights exist in the USA) says
    > that the government can't gamble with tax dollars.

    Your public/private points reminded me that HHMI (Howard Hughes
    Medical Institute) is allowed to work in these areas because they
    receive no public funding in these areas. My only comment on this is
    that some projects might be too big to be done alone (like going to
    the Moon in 1970). I hope that privately funded organizations are
    cooperating in order to avoid dupicated work.

    NSR

  16. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <474dc024$0$7607$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>, "Dr.
    > Dweeb" writes:
    >
    >> As for leadership, you are your own masters when it comes to
    >> choosing a leader - choose a good one.

    > Not quite. The current voting laws give more power to the parties
    > and only the less central candidates tend to survive, polarizing
    > the elected.

    Then join the party if you do not like the candidates. Exert influence.
    Compainining about the "power" of the parties (general eveywhere, not just
    US) is hardly likely to cause change.

    Dweeb

  17. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > A lot of people wonder why we are in Iraq! Dubyah wanted a war? Finish
    > what Daddy started?

    Didn't any americans read the infamous 1998 letter signed by Cheney,
    Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz outlining exactly what they would do when they
    got to power and why they would do it ?

    It was/is on their web site ( www.newamericancentury.org, the
    neo-conservative organistaion)

    In that memo, they coined the "axis of evil" phrase, named iraq, iran
    and north korea as being part of that axis. Condemned Clinton for
    signing a "peace" deal with North Korea and swore to break that deal
    when they got into power. And they wanted to re-assert the USA's power
    with a military invasion of Iraq (easy target without any big weapons)
    that would show the world and especially the middle east that they can't
    mess with the USA. Essentially the big bully hurting a weak one so that
    all the others will fear the big bully again.

    They accused Clinton of weakening the USA's power in the world by being
    "nice" and planned to reassert the USA's power via the military and
    invade Iraq to force the middle east to respect the USA's power.

    And this is one of the reason that Rumsfeld/Cheney/Wolfowitz insisted on
    keeping the state department and UN out of Iraq because he wanted the
    solution to be military all the way.

  18. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <474edfa4$0$7611$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>, "Dr. Dweeb" writes:

    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >>
    >> Not quite. The current voting laws give more power to the parties
    >> and only the less central candidates tend to survive, polarizing
    >> the elected.

    > Then join the party if you do not like the candidates. Exert influence.
    > Compainining about the "power" of the parties (general eveywhere, not just
    > US) is hardly likely to cause change.

    Why should I join a party I don't like? I agree with Washington
    (George), political parties are not the best way to govern.

    Besides, I already have and use the right to vote against the
    extreemist candidates that they nominate. I will vote for a
    candidate who supports my ideas and against one who doesn't,
    including changes that would bring back more "centeralized" candidates.

  19. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <37fe5ff1-67b3-4cd5-baef-135d5338aafd@t472000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Neil Rieck writes:

    > And if you think about it, that is where some US politicians took the
    > wrong path (which affected the whole planet). Any industrial economy
    > can only do one really big thing like "making war" or "having a space
    > program", not both.

    You're making a big mistake if you think another moonshot would cost
    anywhere near what the war is costing. This country can afford to
    "make war" or "have a space program, cancer research, particle
    physics, parks, roads, hospitals, bio-engineering research, bridges,
    clean water, earth science research, secure borders, ...".

    The only governement program that compares to the military in times
    of peace is welfare. I think Clinton and the Republican Congress, as
    well as the states, did a good job of starting to move people off
    welfare in the 90's.

  20. Re: NASA gets SGI 2048-core Itanium 2 supercomputer

    In article <51effe04-1b95-40e0-9dc8-f2580e1c8a20@y43g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>, DaveG writes:

    > I agree. After spending 15 months in Vietnam back in '68 - '69, I
    > often wonder why we were there in the first place, just like Iraq
    > today. What have we learned? Seems like nothing. I'd rather we
    > spent our dollars on seeing "what's out there", but this doesn't feed
    > the ever hungry war machine.

    This is what happens when SCOTUS and the people elect extreem
    conservatives. The only history they think they have to learn from
    is the Bible's version (or substitute some other religion's tome).
    Then reality can't be seen, the messengers must be wrong if they
    claim that God isn't making things turn out the way they
    pre-conceive.