Combined RA92-KDA50 / RLV12-RL02 problem - VMS

This is a discussion on Combined RA92-KDA50 / RLV12-RL02 problem - VMS ; Hello, I ran into this a couple of years ago and got it working somehow then, not sure how, but now it show's up again when I attempt to save all RL02-disk paks on a RA92 booted MicroVAX 3900. The ...

  1. Combined RA92-KDA50 / RLV12-RL02 problem

    Hello,

    I ran into this a couple of years ago and got it working somehow then, not
    sure how, but now it show's up again when I attempt to save all RL02-disk
    paks on a RA92 booted MicroVAX 3900.

    The systemdisk becomes unavailable, during RL02 activity and won't show up
    again until all has been power cycled, from the console the RA92 show's as
    "-?"

    I guess it some kind of conflict between the controllers but it's strange
    that it doesn't show up earlier then.

    It's VMS version 6.2 and unit's are DUB0 (RA92) and DLA0 (RL02), there are
    also RD54's as DUA0...2.

    ^P.Lj

  2. Re: Combined RA92-KDA50 / RLV12-RL02 problem

    In article ,
    peter_notthis@byron.digitalvax.com says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I ran into this a couple of years ago and got it working somehow then, not
    > sure how, but now it show's up again when I attempt to save all RL02-disk
    > paks on a RA92 booted MicroVAX 3900.
    >
    > The systemdisk becomes unavailable, during RL02 activity and won't show up
    > again until all has been power cycled, from the console the RA92 show's as
    > "-?"
    >
    > I guess it some kind of conflict between the controllers but it's strange
    > that it doesn't show up earlier then.
    >
    > It's VMS version 6.2 and unit's are DUB0 (RA92) and DLA0 (RL02), there are
    > also RD54's as DUA0...2.
    >
    > ^P.Lj

    I would suspect some kind of bus configuration problem. Possibly one
    controller is stealing bus grants intended for the other and starving
    it.

    It sounds like you have at least an RQDX* (RD54s), a KDA50 (RA92) and
    an RLV22(?) for the RL02. Make sure they are in the right order on
    the bus (the uVAX 3900 Owner's or Maintenance Manual should have
    configuration rules), and the controllers have the right addresses
    and interrupt vectors (MCR SYSGEN CONFIGURE and/or the console
    configuration utility should help here. DGAS Qbus and serpentine :-)

    One a Unibus, if some device had a broken grant or NPR continuity
    circuit, I think you could get similar problems, but I don't think
    the same applies to Qbus.

    I know this is pretty vague, but I hope it helps!

    --
    John

+ Reply to Thread