VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices - VMS

This is a discussion on VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices - VMS ; OK, here's a quastion that may seem rather strange, but I am serious. If I put a QBUS extender on a VAX 4000-100 can I put an RXV11 on it? Will VMS recognize it and allow access to RX01/RX02 disks? ...

  1. VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices

    OK, here's a quastion that may seem rather strange, but I am serious.
    If I put a QBUS extender on a VAX 4000-100 can I put an RXV11 on it?
    Will VMS recognize it and allow access to RX01/RX02 disks? And, lastly,
    if this will actually work, can VMS recognize and read any PDP-11 formats?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > OK, here's a quastion that may seem rather strange, but I am serious.
    > If I put a QBUS extender on a VAX 4000-100 can I put an RXV11 on it?
    > Will VMS recognize it and allow access to RX01/RX02 disks? And, lastly,
    > if this will actually work, can VMS recognize and read any PDP-11 formats?
    >
    > bill

    VMS SHOULD be able to read PDP-11 formats; especially ODS-1. OTOH,
    you'll be damned lucky if the RX01/RX02 disks are still readable, and if
    the drives still work, etc.

  3. Re: VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices

    In article <4736329F.4000705@comcast.net>,
    "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> OK, here's a quastion that may seem rather strange, but I am serious.
    >> If I put a QBUS extender on a VAX 4000-100 can I put an RXV11 on it?
    >> Will VMS recognize it and allow access to RX01/RX02 disks? And, lastly,
    >> if this will actually work, can VMS recognize and read any PDP-11 formats?
    >>
    >> bill
    >>

    > VMS SHOULD be able to read PDP-11 formats; especially ODS-1. OTOH,
    > you'll be damned lucky if the RX01/RX02 disks are still readable, and if
    > the drives still work, etc.

    The drives work just fine. They are on a PDP-11 at the moment. As
    for the readability of RX01/RX02. I have dozens and dozens of them
    dating back to the days of the MINC and they all still read without
    a problem.

    I was more concerned about wether or not the controller being 18 bit
    was going to cause a problem.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <4736329F.4000705@comcast.net>,
    > "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>> OK, here's a quastion that may seem rather strange, but I am serious.
    >>> If I put a QBUS extender on a VAX 4000-100 can I put an RXV11 on it?
    >>> Will VMS recognize it and allow access to RX01/RX02 disks? And, lastly,
    >>> if this will actually work, can VMS recognize and read any PDP-11 formats?
    >>>
    >>> bill
    >>>

    >> VMS SHOULD be able to read PDP-11 formats; especially ODS-1. OTOH,
    >> you'll be damned lucky if the RX01/RX02 disks are still readable, and if
    >> the drives still work, etc.

    > The drives work just fine. They are on a PDP-11 at the moment. As
    > for the readability of RX01/RX02. I have dozens and dozens of them
    > dating back to the days of the MINC and they all still read without
    > a problem.
    >
    > I was more concerned about wether or not the controller being 18 bit
    > was going to cause a problem.
    >
    > bill

    Not having tested it, 8-)

    it should work fine.

    The RXV11 does not do DMA so the 18 bit issue isn't an issue. 8-)

    $ HELP EXCHANGE

    Jeff

  5. Re: VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices

    In article <5pmcv7Fs09frU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    > OK, here's a quastion that may seem rather strange, but I am serious.
    > If I put a QBUS extender on a VAX 4000-100 can I put an RXV11 on it?
    > Will VMS recognize it and allow access to RX01/RX02 disks? And, lastly,
    > if this will actually work, can VMS recognize and read any PDP-11 formats?

    As far as the hardware question: I think so, but maybe someone who
    knows will pipe in. Check the I/O user's guide to see of the RXV11
    is a recognised driver (I think it is).

    Files-11 ODS-1 is a common native format for RSX-11 on your PDP-11 and
    VMS on your VAX (but not on Alpha or IA-64).

    If the PDP-11 disk is not Files-11, it may be one of the formats
    recognised by the VMS EXCHANGE utility (RT-11 or DOS (DEC's DOS, not
    MS-DOS), which will let you initialize disks in those formats and
    exchange files between those and native format disks.

  6. Re: VAX, VMS and QBUS Devices

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <5pmcv7Fs09frU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >> OK, here's a quastion that may seem rather strange, but I am serious.
    >> If I put a QBUS extender on a VAX 4000-100 can I put an RXV11 on it?
    >> Will VMS recognize it and allow access to RX01/RX02 disks? And, lastly,
    >> if this will actually work, can VMS recognize and read any PDP-11 formats?

    > As far as the hardware question: I think so, but maybe someone who
    > knows will pipe in. Check the I/O user's guide to see of the RXV11
    > is a recognised driver (I think it is).
    >
    > Files-11 ODS-1 is a common native format for RSX-11 on your PDP-11 and
    > VMS on your VAX (but not on Alpha or IA-64).
    >
    > If the PDP-11 disk is not Files-11, it may be one of the formats
    > recognised by the VMS EXCHANGE utility (RT-11 or DOS (DEC's DOS, not
    > MS-DOS), which will let you initialize disks in those formats and
    > exchange files between those and native format disks.

    Thank you. Time to revive another old system.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

+ Reply to Thread