UCX Ping on a DECWindows - VMS

This is a discussion on UCX Ping on a DECWindows - VMS ; We recently migrated from a traditional DEC Vax box to a DecWindows. We have lost our capability to use the UCX ping from within the system. I am an application support person and am having trouble effectively conveying this point ...

  1. UCX Ping on a DECWindows

    We recently migrated from a traditional DEC Vax box to a DecWindows.
    We have lost our capability to use the UCX ping from within the
    system.

    I am an application support person and am having trouble effectively
    conveying this point to the vendor support group.
    Can you offer any help. I found information on the
    http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv.../msg00000.html
    site for UCX FAQ's it states
    "This document contains "Frequently Asked Questions" (or FAQ for
    short) about DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, also known as UCX, from
    an earlier version."
    It goes on to have a section about about installing a patch kit for
    the DECWindows. We have been told that installing the patch is not
    something we want to do. Is this correct? How do I recover the UCX
    Ping capabilities
    thanks
    Teri

  2. Re: UCX Ping on a DECWindows

    Coach Teri wrote:
    > We recently migrated from a traditional DEC Vax box to a DecWindows.
    > We have lost our capability to use the UCX ping from within the
    > system.

    things to try:

    $DIR SYS$SYSTEM:*PING*.EXE

    If you have TCPIP Services installed (formerly called UCX), you should see:
    Directory SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]

    TCPIP$PING.EXE;1

    If you have no *PING* in there, try DIR SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP*.* or UCX*.*

    Do you have any other TCPIP functionality on that system ?

    With modern TCPIP implementations, to get command line capabilities, you
    need to @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$DEFINE_COMMANDS

    This will define plenty of symbols including "ping".

    You could also do:

    $MC TCPIP$PING www.apple.com and this would work without the "ping"
    symbol.

  3. Re: UCX Ping on a DECWindows

    Coach Teri wrote:
    > We recently migrated from a traditional DEC Vax box to a DecWindows.
    > We have lost our capability to use the UCX ping from within the
    > system.
    >
    > I am an application support person and am having trouble effectively
    > conveying this point to the vendor support group.
    > Can you offer any help. I found information on the
    > http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv.../msg00000.html
    > site for UCX FAQ's it states
    > "This document contains "Frequently Asked Questions" (or FAQ for
    > short) about DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, also known as UCX, from
    > an earlier version."
    > It goes on to have a section about about installing a patch kit for
    > the DECWindows. We have been told that installing the patch is not
    > something we want to do. Is this correct? How do I recover the UCX
    > Ping capabilities
    > thanks
    > Teri

    Teri,

    I hate to be the one to break the news to you but DecWindows is
    SOFTWARE! It has little or nothing to do with the box you run it on.
    AFAIK DECWindows still works on VAX and Alpha with any VMS release since
    V5.5-2 at least! Earlier versions may also work. There are some
    hardware requirements; e.g. memory, a graphics adapter for the system
    running the display (the "server" in DECWindows terminology), etc.

    You will have to describe your problem a little more clearly. Exactly
    what hardware are you talking about? Neither DEC, Compaq, or now HP as
    ever offered anything called "a DecWindows". DEC did offer hardware
    that acted as a DECwindows server. As I recall, the first one was based
    on a stripped VAXstation 3100 (it would not run VMS but had DECwindows
    built into the firmware). There were later models that were designed
    from the ground up as DECwindows servers. I used one for a few months
    in 1994. Like all DEC products they were priced too high to become
    popular and just faded away when Compaq bought DEC.

    If you have lost your ability to use "ping" it is not the fault of
    DECwindows.

  4. Re: UCX Ping on a DECWindows

    In article <473459D2.3080600@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    >Coach Teri wrote:
    >> We recently migrated from a traditional DEC Vax box to a DecWindows.
    >> We have lost our capability to use the UCX ping from within the
    >> system.
    >>
    >> I am an application support person and am having trouble effectively
    >> conveying this point to the vendor support group.
    >> Can you offer any help. I found information on the
    >> http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv.../msg00000.html
    >> site for UCX FAQ's it states
    >> "This document contains "Frequently Asked Questions" (or FAQ for
    >> short) about DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, also known as UCX, from
    >> an earlier version."
    >> It goes on to have a section about about installing a patch kit for
    >> the DECWindows. We have been told that installing the patch is not
    >> something we want to do. Is this correct? How do I recover the UCX
    >> Ping capabilities
    >> thanks
    >> Teri
    >>

    >Teri,
    >
    >I hate to be the one to break the news to you but DecWindows is
    >SOFTWARE! It has little or nothing to do with the box you run it on.
    >AFAIK DECWindows still works on VAX and Alpha with any VMS release since
    >V5.5-2 at least! Earlier versions may also work. There are some
    >hardware requirements; e.g. memory, a graphics adapter for the system
    >running the display (the "server" in DECWindows terminology), etc.
    >
    >You will have to describe your problem a little more clearly. Exactly
    >what hardware are you talking about? Neither DEC, Compaq, or now HP as
    >ever offered anything called "a DecWindows". DEC did offer hardware
    >that acted as a DECwindows server. As I recall, the first one was based
    >on a stripped VAXstation 3100 (it would not run VMS but had DECwindows
    >built into the firmware). There were later models that were designed
    >from the ground up as DECwindows servers. I used one for a few months
    >in 1994. Like all DEC products they were priced too high to become
    >popular and just faded away when Compaq bought DEC.
    >
    >If you have lost your ability to use "ping" it is not the fault of
    >DECwindows.

    I'd wager she's got TCPIP Services now. They probably have an old symbol
    definition for the UCX$PING or none at all.

    Try executing $ @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$DEFINE_COMMANDS.COM

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: UCX Ping on a DECWindows

    On Nov 8, 7:15 pm, Coach Teri wrote:
    > We recently migrated from a traditional DEC Vax box to a DecWindows.
    > We have lost our capability to use the UCX ping from within the
    > system.
    >
    > I am an application support person and am having trouble effectively
    > conveying this point to the vendor support group.
    > Can you offer any help. I found information on thehttp://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv/vms-ucx-faq.part1/msg00000.html
    > site for UCX FAQ's it states
    > "This document contains "Frequently Asked Questions" (or FAQ for
    > short) about DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, also known as UCX, from
    > an earlier version."
    > It goes on to have a section about about installing a patch kit for
    > the DECWindows. We have been told that installing the patch is not
    > something we want to do. Is this correct? How do I recover the UCX
    > Ping capabilities
    > thanks
    > Teri

    Teri,

    In general, I concur with the comments made previously about the
    possibility that the old system was running an older version of the
    Digital TCP/IP stack, before the name change from UCX to TCPIP.

    Some questions:

    - What version of OpenVMS and the IP stack was on the older system?
    - What version of OpenVMS and the IP stack are on the new system?

    I agree with Brian (VAXMAN) that it is quite likely a symbol
    definition is missing or incorrect. How do you attempt to use PING and
    what is the resulting output?

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  6. Re: UCX Ping on a DECWindows

    Coach Teri wrote:

    > We recently migrated from a traditional DEC Vax box to a DecWindows.
    > We have lost our capability to use the UCX ping from within the
    > system.
    >
    > I am an application support person and am having trouble effectively
    > conveying this point to the vendor support group.
    > Can you offer any help. I found information on the
    > http://www.uni-giessen.de/faq/archiv.../msg00000.html
    > site for UCX FAQ's it states
    > "This document contains "Frequently Asked Questions" (or FAQ for
    > short) about DEC TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, also known as UCX, from
    > an earlier version."
    > It goes on to have a section about about installing a patch kit for
    > the DECWindows. We have been told that installing the patch is not
    > something we want to do. Is this correct? How do I recover the UCX
    > Ping capabilities
    > thanks
    > Teri

    As others have pointed out, the reference "a DecWindows" is confusing since, to
    my knowledge, there never was such a thing.

    DECwindows is/was Digital's X11 implementation on VMS and others, including VMS
    on VAX and Alpha and, I beleive, also on I64.

    If you could, perhaps, describe more fully exactly what you mean by "a
    DecWindows", perhaps we'd be better able to interpret your situation and what
    you are asking.

    Try describing exactly what steps you took:
    - Did you install new software? ...new PAKs?
    - Did you move the software from VAX to Alpha? ...from VAX to I64? ...from one
    VAX to another?

    What exactly, in great detail, did you do?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page