Re: Why does DECnet Phase IV have more capabilities on VAX than on - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Why does DECnet Phase IV have more capabilities on VAX than on - VMS ; From: koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) > DDCMP is a line level protocol over synchronous serial lines. You > could, in principle, put something other than DECnet on top of it. > It is not DECnet over asynchronous serial lines. Synchronous, eh? ...

  1. Re: Why does DECnet Phase IV have more capabilities on VAX than on

    From: koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler)

    > DDCMP is a line level protocol over synchronous serial lines. You
    > could, in principle, put something other than DECnet on top of it.
    > It is not DECnet over asynchronous serial lines.

    Synchronous, eh? I wonder how I ever got it working between a couple
    of asynchronous serial ports with asynchronous modems. I must have been
    in some parallel universe. (Perhaps a parallel serial universe?)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Why does DECnet Phase IV have more capabilities on VAX than on

    In article <07110711415537_202002A8@antinode.org>,
    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >From: koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler)
    >
    >> DDCMP is a line level protocol over synchronous serial lines. You
    >> could, in principle, put something other than DECnet on top of it.
    >> It is not DECnet over asynchronous serial lines.

    > Synchronous, eh? I wonder how I ever got it working between a couple
    >of asynchronous serial ports with asynchronous modems. I must have been
    >in some parallel universe. (Perhaps a parallel serial universe?)

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    Yup... and it ran serial from my PDT11/150 (async) to the Vax at DEC
    Princeton support.

    It was something else to set host into a VAX from the PDT... even at
    2400 baud async.

    Bill

    Be comforted that in the face of all erridity and disallusionment, and
    despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in
    computer maintainance. --Deteriorata (pechter-at-gmail-dot-com)

+ Reply to Thread