RE: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary - VMS ; So did this week's Computerworld. -----Original Message----- From: Syltrem [mailto:syltremzulu@videotron.ca] Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:07 AM To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com Subject: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=202801794 -- Syltrem http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)...

  1. RE: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    So did this week's Computerworld.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Syltrem [mailto:syltremzulu@videotron.ca]
    Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:07 AM
    To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com
    Subject: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    Syltrem
    http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)

  2. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    There is also an OpenVMS birthday greetings article at Enterprise Open
    Source Magazine.
    http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/451374.htm

    Cheers!

    Keith

  3. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    Keith Cayemberg wrote:
    > There is also an OpenVMS birthday greetings article at Enterprise Open
    > Source Magazine.
    > http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/451374.htm

    Quote from the link:

    "HP, its latest owner, can't quite put its finger on the value of the
    marketplace but is about to come out with OpenVMS 8.3, what it calls an
    "Anniversary Release" that runs on VAX, Alpha and more to the point its
    Itanium-based Integrity servers."

    Woohooo... we're about to get VMS 8.3, and on VAX as well ...

    Hmmm... wait a sec ;-)

  4. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    In article <1194449839.001384.43460@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>,
    Keith Cayemberg writes:

    > There is also an OpenVMS birthday greetings article at Enterprise Open
    > Source Magazine.
    > http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/451374.htm

    Uh Oh....

    "still claims to run 300,000 systems worldwide"

    That is a considerable drop from the VMS Constant. Wonder if HP
    provided it or they just pulled out of their as^H^H hat.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  5. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    In article <5pe5jjFqifg4U1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
    >In article <1194449839.001384.43460@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>,
    > Keith Cayemberg writes:
    >>
    >> There is also an OpenVMS birthday greetings article at Enterprise Open
    >> Source Magazine.
    >> http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/451374.htm

    >Uh Oh....
    >
    >"still claims to run 300,000 systems worldwide"
    >
    >That is a considerable drop from the VMS Constant. Wonder if HP
    >provided it or they just pulled out of their as^H^H hat.

    Since they seem to think that HP

    "is about to come out with OpenVMS 8.3, what it calls an "Anniversary Release",
    which runs on VAX, Alpha and more to the point its Itanium-based Integrity
    servers"

    I wouldn't put too much faith in their accuracy.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >bill
    >
    >--
    >Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    >bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    >University of Scranton |
    >Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  6. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    david20@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:

    > I wouldn't put too much faith in their accuracy.

    Which dosn't meen a thing.
    It's the visability of VMS that counts for
    those that we *want* to see the article.

    Jan-Erik.

  7. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    In article , =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?= writes:
    >david20@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    >
    >> I wouldn't put too much faith in their accuracy.

    >Which dosn't meen a thing.
    >It's the visability of VMS that counts for
    >those that we *want* to see the article.

    I agree about VMS visibility but the comment above was in response to
    Bill Gunshannon's question about the accuracy of the articles figure of
    300,000 systems.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >Jan-Erik.

  8. RE: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    Well, knowing how reporters are, they likely heard "OpenVMS V8.3-1H1", but their
    notes recorded OpenVMS V8.3" without understanding the differences.

    Kind of like a reporter saying writing about Windows XP - is it SP1 or SP2?How
    many reporters ever actually state what version of Windows XP they are discussing?

    :-)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  9. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    In article ,
    "Main, Kerry" writes:
> [...]

    Of course, HP could fix all this by making a very visible press
    appearance in which they pointed out all the errors and corrected
    them. But that ain't gonna happen.....

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  10. RE: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    Yeah, like Microsoft would issue a press release trying to correct all those
    reporters out there that refer to "Windows XP" and tell them that they should
    state "Windows XP SP2" ...

    So, yeah, you are right neither is very likely to happen ..

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  11. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    Main, Kerry wrote:
    > Well, knowing how reporters are, they likely heard "OpenVMS V8.3-1H1", but their
    > notes recorded OpenVMS V8.3" without understanding the differences.

    had a professional PR firm been involved (since HP's own marketing dept
    who have such expertise refuses to handle VMS related stuff), they would
    have told you to not mention that VMS is getting a new release when
    refering to V8.3-1H1. Whowever spoke to the press should have just
    mentioned that VMS is adding support for such and such hardware with a
    few new utilities to better manage such and such hardware.

    Since reporters have no clue on what was available before (since VMS is
    not openly marketed), they have no point of reference on what an 8.3-1H1
    really means and don't know that 8.3 has been out for over a year already.

+ Reply to Thread