Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary - VMS

This is a discussion on Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary - VMS ; http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=202801794 -- Syltrem http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)...

  1. Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    Syltrem
    http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)

  2. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    Syltrem wrote:
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=202801794

    Merci for the pointer.

    Better late than never. Interesting however how the article starts out
    by going out of its way to paint VMS as an old operating system when
    Unix is in fact older than VMS.

    As to the mention of 8.3 in another article, hasn't 8.3 been out for
    quite some time already ? (I realise there there is to be some mini
    IA64 release to support some new IA64 contraptions, but will this also
    result in an Alpha release ? )

    As for 8.3 on the vax, perhaps we could use the article to force HP to
    produce 8.3 for VAX , threathening to sue them or false advertising if
    they don't :-) :-)( :-) :-) :-)

  3. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    In article ,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > Syltrem wrote:
    >> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=202801794
    >>

    > Merci for the pointer.
    >
    > Better late than never. Interesting however how the article starts out
    > by going out of its way to paint VMS as an old operating system when
    > Unix is in fact older than VMS.

    Actually, you would have to look at the age of the currently in use
    version. Or you couls say that because it's actually older Unix has
    had time to do more research that resulted in greater improvement to
    the OS. One can spin almost anything in almost any direction.

    > As to the mention of 8.3 in another article, hasn't 8.3 been out for
    > quite some time already ? (I realise there there is to be some mini
    > IA64 release to support some new IA64 contraptions, but will this also
    > result in an Alpha release ? )
    >
    > As for 8.3 on the vax, perhaps we could use the article to force HP to
    > produce 8.3 for VAX , threathening to sue them or false advertising if
    > they don't :-) :-)( :-) :-) :-)

    Well, I hadn't mentioned it til now, but it doesn't appear to me
    that HP had anything to do with these releases. I would suspect
    that they were spawned by some VMS fanatic and that HP would not
    confirm or deny anything, thus the reason for the innaccuracies
    which could have been corrected by a simple phone call by the
    journalist, unless HP refused to talk to them.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Consolidated List of OpenVMS 30th Anniversary Articles on the Internet

    Here's a consolidated list of OpenVMS 30th Anniversary Articles on the
    Internet.

    I would suggest that those of you who find error's in these articles
    take a cue from Ian Miller and Bob Gezelter...
    Click on the FEEDBACK or COMMENT button (where available) and share
    your (preferably substantiated) wisdom with the masses!

    Aarons OpenVMS Hobby Site: Happy birthday!
    by Aaron Sakovich
    http://openvms.hobby-site.com/index.php

    ComputerWorld: OpenVMS Still Has Road Ahead Of It, HP Says
    by Patrick Thibodeau of the IDG News Service
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    ComputerWorld: HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that OS still has a
    future
    by Patrick Thibodeau of the IDG News Service
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...84398&rid=-219

    Enterprise Open Source Magazine: Happy Birthday, OpenVMS
    By: Enterprise Open Source News Desk
    http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/451374.htm
    http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/451374_f.htm

    Fudzilla: OpenVMS has a long future, says HP
    by Peter Scott
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=3910&Itemid=1

    InternetNews.Com: OpenVMS at 30: Still Going Strong
    by Sean Michael Kerner
    http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3707631

    Investors Hub Forum: VMS turns 30 today
    by Chipguy
    http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards...ge_id=24021733

    ITJungle: (OpenVMS 30th Anniversary mentioned in an IBM article)
    by Timothy Prickett Morgan
    http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh102907-story01.html

    InformationWeek: VMS Operating System Is 30 Years Old; Customers
    Believe It Can Last Forever
    by Charles Bab****
    "We always said we would move away from VMS when something better came
    along. There isn't anything better," he says.
    http://www.informationweek.com/story...leID=202801418

    OSnews: OpenVMS 8.3-1H1 Released
    by Thom Holwerda
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1886...-1H1-Released/

    PC World: OpenVMS Still Has a Future, HP Says
    by Patrick Thibodeau of the IDG News Service
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...e_hp_says.html

    SAP INFO: Reassuring Customers over Operating System
    Source: EDITTECH INTERNATIONAL
    http://www.sap.info/public/INT/int/i...04727339ae966d

    UNIX Administratosphere: OpenVMS celebrates its 30th anniversary!
    by David Douthitt
    http://administratosphere.wordpress....h-anniversary/

    ==========

    _Web Sites which have linked to original news articles on the OpenVMS
    30th Anniversary_

    BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA Club: OpenVMS Still Has a Future, HP Says
    http://www.battlestargalacticaclub.c...ead.php?t=4378

    The Cylon.Org Board:
    http://www.cylon.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11251

    CIO India: OpenVMS Still Has Road Ahead of it, HP Says
    http://www.cio.in/news/viewArticle/ARTICLEID=4082

    ComputerWorld Australia: HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that OS
    still has a future
    by Patrick Thibodeau of the IDG News Service
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...4194304;fpid;1

    Congo: OpenVMS Still Has Road Ahead Of It, HP Says
    http://www.congoo.com/news/2007Novem...VMS-Road-Ahead

    Hardware Blog: HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that OS still has a
    future
    http://hostrom.com/hp-tries-to-assur...s-a-future/420

    iHandheld.mobi: OpenVMS Still Has a Future, HP Says
    http://www.ihandheld.mobi/wp-mobile.php?p=49536&more=1

    ITeXclusive: OpenVMS ima lijepu budu─çnost ispred sebe
    by Peter Scott (translated for Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    http://www.itx.ba/index.php?option=c...=3323&Itemid=1

    ITnews: VMS operating system is 30 years old; Customers believe it can
    last forever
    http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsSt...px?story=64306

    Kopic's OpenVMS News
    http://vmsnews.kopic.net/

    MacSurfer's Headline News: HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that OS
    still has a future: On software's 30th anniversary, vendor says it's
    committed to the technology
    http://www.macsurfer.com/?section=in...ate=2007-10-29

    PC News and Hardware Reviews': HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that
    OS still has a future
    http://togahost.com/computers/hp-tri...a-future.shtml

    Public Technology: OpenVMS at 30: Still Going Strong
    http://www.publictechnology.net/tech...rder=0&thold=0

    OZCrunch: HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that OS still has a future
    VMS operating system is 30 years old; Customers believe it can last
    forever
    http://www.ozcrunch.com/2007/10/30/h...-has-a-future/

    TechWeb: VMS Operating System Is 30 Years Old; Customers Believe It
    Can Last Forever
    http://www.techweb.com/btgcommunity/...7172&tstart=30

    TechWorld: HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that OS still has a future
    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/featu...amecatsamechan

    websiteGear News: OpenVMS Still Has a Future, HP Says
    http://news.websitegear.com/view/24725

    XBOX User's Group: OpenVMS Still Has a Future, HP Says
    http://www.xboxusersgroup.com/forums...d.php?t=115253

    ==========

    I also noticed that HP's OpenVMS site in Japan is celebrating...
    http://www.compaq.co.jp/products/software/oe/openvms/

    A bit more nostalgia: What happened in the World during October
    1977...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977#October

    and still more nostalgia: DEC vs IBM
    Michael Cooney (Network World)
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...9;fp;16;fpid;2

    Oracle also had it's 30th Anniversary this year...
    http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/o...261162,00.html

    *** Don't forget to order your own Commemorative 30th anniversary CD
    here ***
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/t_gift.html

    Cheers!

    Keith Cayemberg

  5. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    In article , JF Mezei
    writes:

    > Interesting however how the article starts out
    > by going out of its way to paint VMS as an old operating system when
    > Unix is in fact older than VMS.

    A few years +- doesn't mean much in hindsight of about 30 years.
    Moreover, one would like to compare the release of the first
    commercial releases of VMS and Unix, respectively.
    I.e. not counting the Multics still birth.

  6. Re: Consolidated List of OpenVMS 30th Anniversary Articles on theInternet

    Keith Cayemberg wrote:
    > Here's a consolidated list of OpenVMS 30th Anniversary Articles on the
    > Internet.

    Many thanks for this. Would have been nice to have seen this earlier.

    Of course, many will criticise me for commenting on the articles, and I
    debated whether I shoudl just drop it alltogether or not. But here it goes:

    > ComputerWorld: OpenVMS Still Has Road Ahead Of It, HP Says
    > ComputerWorld: HP tries to assure OpenVMS users that OS still has a
    > future
    > by Patrick Thibodeau of the IDG News Service

    These 2 articles should be at the bottom of the list. Thibodeau has put
    a lot of "still" statements in his articles and worded them to show that
    HP doesn't have much credibility with its promises. (Aka, it is the
    type of article that I would be expected to write).

    > Enterprise Open Source Magazine: Happy Birthday, OpenVMS
    > By: Enterprise Open Source News Desk
    > http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/451374.htm

    Perhaps it is my understanding of english, but "having been gussied up
    with" reminds me of an old grand-mother that is gussied up with lots of
    clothes , mascara and hair colour to hide how wrinkled up body.

    > Fudzilla: OpenVMS has a long future, says HP
    > by Peter Scott
    > http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=3910&Itemid=1

    This is short. No real comment about it. Good exposure. However, the
    statement "HP has released a statement" leaves me baffled since the
    official HP press room had nothing about VMS when I last checked.

    > InternetNews.Com: OpenVMS at 30: Still Going Strong
    > by Sean Michael Kerner
    > http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3707631

    This one is very good. Should be at the top of the list.

    One general comment though: it says that the next release of VMS is the
    end of 2009. That is a bit far in my opinion unless we're talking about
    V 9.0 with major changes.

    > Investors Hub Forum: VMS turns 30 today
    > by Chipguy
    > http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards...ge_id=24021733

    This is just a post by a VMS fan. It points to a text that is hidden on
    the VMS web site (since there is no mention of VMS on the main HP press
    release site).

    > ITJungle: (OpenVMS 30th Anniversary mentioned in an IBM article)
    > by Timothy Prickett Morgan
    > http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh102907-story01.html

    This one is interesting. I foud the mention of mostly customer witten
    applications interesting. Basically a message that what is left on VMS
    is the old legacy code instead of new commercial applications.

    > InformationWeek: VMS Operating System Is 30 Years Old; Customers
    > Believe It Can Last Forever
    > by Charles Bab****
    > "We always said we would move away from VMS when something better came
    > along. There isn't anything better," he says.
    > http://www.informationweek.com/story...leID=202801418

    This is a generally good tone. However,

    ##
    The operating system "has a very loyal installed base of customers,"
    McQuaid says, and they show no signs of wanting to give it up.
    ##

    It would have been better if it ended with "and HP has no intentions of
    giving it up". Right now, it says that customers want VMS, but doesn't
    convey HP's attitudes towards VMS.

    > PC World: OpenVMS Still Has a Future, HP Says
    > by Patrick Thibodeau of the IDG News Service
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...e_hp_says.html

    Another Thibodeau article with lots of "still" statements. While I agree
    with him, it doesn't mean that it sheds a positive light on VMS.

    > SAP INFO: Reassuring Customers over Operating System
    > Source: EDITTECH INTERNATIONAL
    > http://www.sap.info/public/INT/int/i...04727339ae966d

    This short article was sourced from some other place, and we see a
    "still" sentence common to a few articles:

    >Hewlett-Packard Co. (HP) officials are marking the 30th anniversary of
    >the OpenVMS operating system's introduction by telling users of the
    >software that it still doesn't have an expiration date.

    "STILL DOESN'T HAVE AN EXPIRATION DATE:" statement made by HP officials
    is not too encouraging. (implies that an expiration date is expected
    eventually).

    > UNIX Administratosphere: OpenVMS celebrates its 30th anniversary!
    > by David Douthitt
    > http://administratosphere.wordpress....h-anniversary/

    This seems more like a blog. It stars off great, but then starts to make
    errors (Ian Miller has posted corrections about VAX still being supported).

  7. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    On 11/07/07 14:54, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    [snip]
    > I.e. not counting the Multics still birth.

    Multics was *not* stillborn. Well into the 1980s, Honeywell
    released computers using it, and the last site went out of service
    in CY 2000.

    http://www.multicians.org/

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  8. Re: Consolidated List of OpenVMS 30th Anniversary Articles on theInternet

    JF Mezei wrote:

    >> InternetNews.Com: OpenVMS at 30: Still Going Strong
    >> by Sean Michael Kerner
    >> http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3707631

    > This one is very good. Should be at the top of the list.
    >
    > One general comment though: it says that the next release of VMS is the
    > end of 2009. That is a bit far in my opinion unless we're talking about
    > V 9.0 with major changes.

    -OpenVMS V8.4, Alpha/Integrity, late 2008 or early 2009
    -OpenVMS V8.n FRS: +18-24 months Platforms: Alpha
    and Integrity

    So V8.n(ext) is aprox late 2010 or early 2011.

    Where did you found that about V9.0 ???

    (From presentations at the VMS Tech Upd.)

    Jan-Erik.

  9. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    In article , JF Mezei writes:
    >Syltrem wrote:
    >> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=202801794
    >>

    >Merci for the pointer.
    >
    >Better late than never. Interesting however how the article starts out
    >by going out of its way to paint VMS as an old operating system when
    >Unix is in fact older than VMS.

    As far as I can see it doesn't explicitly mention Unix and in an article about
    the 30th anniversary it would be difficult to not mention it's age.

    In general I think it is a reasonable article - I wasn't aware that the
    Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Minor planet center was using a VAX/VMS
    cluster.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >As to the mention of 8.3 in another article, hasn't 8.3 been out for
    >quite some time already ? (I realise there there is to be some mini
    >IA64 release to support some new IA64 contraptions, but will this also
    >result in an Alpha release ? )
    >
    >As for 8.3 on the vax, perhaps we could use the article to force HP to
    >produce 8.3 for VAX , threathening to sue them or false advertising if
    >they don't :-) :-)( :-) :-) :-)

  10. Re: Minor Planet Center (was: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year )

    In article , david20@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk writes:

    > In general I think it is a reasonable article - I wasn't aware that the
    > Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Minor planet center was using a
    > VAX/VMS cluster.

    The last I knew, that set of machines has only a few VAXen left
    and the bulk of machines in the cluster are all Alpha. Certainly
    in 1990 (the year cited for Gareth Williams starting) it was VAXen.
    By the way, local lore around Boston is that the Smithsonian (not
    necessarily the Minor Planet Center) was responsible for DEC adding
    H-Floating as an option for the VAX 11/780s.

    One of their people was featured in Time or Newsweek magazine a few
    years back in the case of an asteroid that did not hit Earth after
    all. Presumably if it _had_ hit earth, there would have been an
    even bigger story (or no story at all).

    I got a tour of this operation once, and for anyone who is concerned
    about the reputation of VMS in the face of false predictions, data at
    the Minor Planet Center comes from a worldwide set of corresponding
    astronomers who submit a sighting if they find something that has not
    been reported before. Certainly I can appreciate that just seeing
    something once in the sky makes it hard to predict its future path.
    They need to get other locations reporting the same thing at different
    times before figuring out whether it is time to call Bruce Willis.

    At the time of my tour, the vast body of code was written in Fortran.
    Those who know me have guessed that I did _not_ suggest switching to
    C or Java for greater buzzword compliance.

  11. Re: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year anniversary

    On 11/08/07 05:27, david20@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    > In article , JF Mezei writes:
    >> Syltrem wrote:
    >>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=202801794
    >>>

    >> Merci for the pointer.
    >>
    >> Better late than never. Interesting however how the article starts out
    >> by going out of its way to paint VMS as an old operating system when
    >> Unix is in fact older than VMS.
    >>

    > As far as I can see it doesn't explicitly mention Unix and in an article about
    > the 30th anniversary it would be difficult to not mention it's age.
    >
    > In general I think it is a reasonable article - I wasn't aware that the
    > Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Minor planet center was using a VAX/VMS
    > cluster.

    The article was contradictory.

    What the article's author wrote was "VAX", but at the bottom of the
    article, the scientist wrote (something on the order of) "we see no
    need to leave Alpha".

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  12. Re: Minor Planet Center (was: Informationweek mentions VMS 30 year )

    In article ,
    Kilgallen@SpamCop.net says...
    > In article , david20@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk writes:
    >
    > > In general I think it is a reasonable article - I wasn't aware that the
    > > Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Minor planet center was using a
    > > VAX/VMS cluster.

    > The last I knew, that set of machines has only a few VAXen left
    > and the bulk of machines in the cluster are all Alpha. Certainly
    > in 1990 (the year cited for Gareth Williams starting) it was VAXen.
    > By the way, local lore around Boston is that the Smithsonian (not
    > necessarily the Minor Planet Center) was responsible for DEC adding
    > H-Floating as an option for the VAX 11/780s.
    >
    > One of their people was featured in Time or Newsweek magazine a few
    > years back in the case of an asteroid that did not hit Earth after
    > all. Presumably if it _had_ hit earth, there would have been an
    > even bigger story (or no story at all).

    Most likely Brian Marsden, the director of the MPC...

    > I got a tour of this operation once, and for anyone who is concerned
    > about the reputation of VMS in the face of false predictions, data at
    > the Minor Planet Center comes from a worldwide set of corresponding
    > astronomers who submit a sighting if they find something that has not
    > been reported before. Certainly I can appreciate that just seeing
    > something once in the sky makes it hard to predict its future path.
    > They need to get other locations reporting the same thing at different
    > times before figuring out whether it is time to call Bruce Willis.
    >
    > At the time of my tour, the vast body of code was written in Fortran.
    > Those who know me have guessed that I did _not_ suggest switching to
    > C or Java for greater buzzword compliance.

    I'd like to be able to claim credit for all this :-)

    In about 1974, when I was an undergrad, I was sitting at one of the
    Wang distributed calculators in the hallway of the observatory, with
    a very thick listing while trying to debug a program, when Dr. Marsden
    walked by. He asked me what I was doing, and we ended up having an
    hour-long conversation about how computers could be used for so much
    more than just calculating orbits. Things such as keeping databases of
    all the asteroids and comets, making it easy to search, match up new
    observations with existing objects, do statistical studies of orbits,
    spectra, chemical properties, etc. Also, how the Arpanet could be used
    to communicate observations and announcements. (They used to send
    literal telegrams to observatories around the world every time they made
    an announcement, several times each week. The backup system was snail-
    mail postcards.) And lots of other stuff.

    I've always wondered if this was all new to him, or if he was just in
    Socratic teaching mode and trying to get me to think about the issues.
    :-)

    --
    John

+ Reply to Thread