SSH daemon fails with "Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6" - VMS

This is a discussion on SSH daemon fails with "Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6" - VMS ; Hello, Yesterday our SSH daemon stopped accepting connections; in SSHD.LOG I see the following message: Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6 Anyone has an idea what to do? Background: VMS-7.3-2, Multinet 5.2. Two days before the problem I've installed ...

  1. SSH daemon fails with "Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6"

    Hello,

    Yesterday our SSH daemon stopped accepting connections; in SSHD.LOG I see the
    following message:

    Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6

    Anyone has an idea what to do?

    Background: VMS-7.3-2, Multinet 5.2.
    Two days before the problem I've installed VMS patches SYS-4.0 and LOADSS-1.0.
    After a reboot SSH daemon worked for a while and then stopped.

    Thanks! __Yehavi:

  2. Re: SSH daemon fails with "Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6"

    This means that SSHD_MASTER found a valid identification message, marked
    its incoming socket for handoff to SSHD2, then spawned an SSHD2
    process. The first thing SSHD2 does is to assign a socket to the one that
    was marked for handoff. In the course of this, it received an error
    indication, saying the socket is no longer available. I recommend you
    restart SSH, then examine MULTINET:SSHD_MASTER.LOG to see if it says
    anything about why the socket went away. Do you have the latest SSH ECO?

    At 04:40 AM 11/6/2007, yehavi@vms.huji.ac.il wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    > Yesterday our SSH daemon stopped accepting connections; in SSHD.LOG I
    > see the
    >following message:
    >
    >Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6
    >
    >Anyone has an idea what to do?
    >
    >Background: VMS-7.3-2, Multinet 5.2.
    >Two days before the problem I've installed VMS patches SYS-4.0 and LOADSS-1.0.
    >After a reboot SSH daemon worked for a while and then stopped.
    >
    > Thanks! __Yehavi:

    ------
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |

  3. Re: SSH daemon fails with "Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6"

    I have seen the same problem but under OpenVMS version 8.3 after installing
    the VMS83A_SYS-V0400 ECO released October 31. Removing the VMS83A_SYS-V0400
    ECO got rid of the problem. I notice that a VMS83A_SYS-V0500 ECO has since
    been released on November 5; however, as the ECO release notes say the V0500
    version was released to address an issue in the replacement of the HELPLIB
    library, I would expect that VMS83A_SYS-V0500 has the same issue with
    the MultiNET SSHD_MASTER as VMS83A_SYS-V0400.

    Bill

    Bill Glessner - Bill.Glessner@cwu.EDU
    System Programmer
    Central Washington University

    >Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:26:19 -0700
    >From: Dan O'Reilly
    >Subject: Re: SSH daemon fails with "Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6"
    >To: info-multinet@process.com
    >Cc: info-multinet@process.com
    >
    >This means that SSHD_MASTER found a valid identification message, marked
    >its incoming socket for handoff to SSHD2, then spawned an SSHD2
    >process. The first thing SSHD2 does is to assign a socket to the one that
    >was marked for handoff. In the course of this, it received an error
    >indication, saying the socket is no longer available. I recommend you
    >restart SSH, then examine MULTINET:SSHD_MASTER.LOG to see if it says
    >anything about why the socket went away. Do you have the latest SSH ECO?
    >
    >>At 04:40 AM 11/6/2007, yehavi@vms.huji.ac.il wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >> Yesterday our SSH daemon stopped accepting connections; in SSHD.LOG I
    >> see the
    >>following message:
    >>
    >>Failed to get handed-off socket: errno 6
    >>
    >>Anyone has an idea what to do?
    >>
    >>Background: VMS-7.3-2, Multinet 5.2.
    >>Two days before the problem I've installed VMS patches SYS-4.0 and LOADSS-1.0.
    >>After a reboot SSH daemon worked for a while and then stopped.
    >>

    >------
    >| Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    >| Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    >| Process Software | and those who don't." |
    >| http://www.process.com | |

+ Reply to Thread