Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner - VMS

This is a discussion on Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner - VMS ; While rummaging in my storage area I found a VAX/VMS printout of the prime numbers between 1 and a million and a second printout for those between 1000000 and 2000000. Here is what the top banner says: VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 ...

  1. Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    While rummaging in my storage area I found a VAX/VMS printout of the
    prime numbers between 1 and a million and a second printout for those
    between 1000000 and 2000000. Here is what the top banner says:

    VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS

    This is followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters, then the
    filename and type in 14-character-tall letters over two lines

    PTEXT.
    DAT;1

    followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters followed by the
    same as the top banner.

    Frankly, I have no idea what the answer is.

    Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    from?

    AEF

  2. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    AEF wrote:
    > While rummaging in my storage area I found a VAX/VMS printout of the
    > prime numbers between 1 and a million and a second printout for those
    > between 1000000 and 2000000. Here is what the top banner says:
    >
    > VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    > 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS
    >
    > This is followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters, then the
    > filename and type in 14-character-tall letters over two lines
    >
    > PTEXT.
    > DAT;1
    >
    > followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters followed by the
    > same as the top banner.
    >
    > Frankly, I have no idea what the answer is.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    > from?

    I'd say it would have been about the VMS 2.3 to VMS 2.5 timeframe.
    The lineprinter output format stayed pretty much the same for a long
    time after that.

  3. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    On Nov 4, 12:40 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:
    > AEF wrote:
    > > While rummaging in my storage area I found a VAX/VMS printout of the
    > > prime numbers between 1 and a million and a second printout for those
    > > between 1000000 and 2000000. Here is what the top banner says:

    > > VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    > > 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS

    > > This is followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters, then the
    > > filename and type in 14-character-tall letters over two lines

    > > PTEXT.
    > > DAT;1

    > > followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters followed by the
    > > same as the top banner.

    > > Frankly, I have no idea what the answer is.

    > > Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    > > from?

    > I'd say it would have been about the VMS 2.3 to VMS 2.5 timeframe.
    > The lineprinter output format stayed pretty much the same for a long
    > time after that.

    Thanks!

    Someone gave these printouts to me in the 1982-1983 time frame. I
    didn't use a VAX myself until 1985. I think we had V3.x then.

    AEF

  4. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    In article <1194194073.169572.156550@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>, AEF writes:

    > VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    > 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS
    >

    > Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    > from?

    The banner layout hasn't changed in ages, but the date 1981 means VMS
    2.x or earlier. I think by September VMS 2.5 had shipped, but not
    yet 3.0.

  5. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    On Nov 5, 9:14 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <1194194073.169572.156...@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>, AEF writes:
    >

    > > VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    > > 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS

    > > Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    > > from?

    > The banner layout hasn't changed in ages, but the date 1981 means VMS
    > 2.x or earlier. I think by September VMS 2.5 had shipped, but not
    > yet 3.0.

    Thanks Bob!

    AEF

  6. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    In article ,
    R.A.Omond wrote:
    >AEF wrote:
    >> While rummaging in my storage area I found a VAX/VMS printout of the
    >> prime numbers between 1 and a million and a second printout for those
    >> between 1000000 and 2000000. Here is what the top banner says:
    >>
    >> VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    >> 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS
    >>
    >> This is followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters, then the
    >> filename and type in 14-character-tall letters over two lines
    >>
    >> PTEXT.
    >> DAT;1
    >>
    >> followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters followed by the
    >> same as the top banner.
    >>
    >> Frankly, I have no idea what the answer is.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    >> from?

    >I'd say it would have been about the VMS 2.3 to VMS 2.5 timeframe.
    >The lineprinter output format stayed pretty much the same for a long
    >time after that.

    I was installing 11/780's for DEC in the same timeframe running
    2.2->2.5. Sounds like a 2.x varient.

    Bill

    Be comforted that in the face of all erridity and disallusionment, and
    despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in
    computer maintainance. --Deteriorata (pechter-at-gmail-dot-com)

  7. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    On Nov 6, 2:46 pm, pech...@pcp09822625pcs.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net
    (Bill Pechter) wrote:
    > In article ,
    >

    > R.A.Omond wrote:
    > >AEF wrote:
    > >> While rummaging in my storage area I found a VAX/VMS printout of the
    > >> prime numbers between 1 and a million and a second printout for those
    > >> between 1000000 and 2000000. Here is what the top banner says:

    > >> VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    > >> 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS

    > >> This is followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters, then the
    > >> filename and type in 14-character-tall letters over two lines

    > >> PTEXT.
    > >> DAT;1

    > >> followed by the username in 7-character-tall letters followed by the
    > >> same as the top banner.

    > >> Frankly, I have no idea what the answer is.

    > >> Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    > >> from?

    > >I'd say it would have been about the VMS 2.3 to VMS 2.5 timeframe.
    > >The lineprinter output format stayed pretty much the same for a long
    > >time after that.

    > I was installing 11/780's for DEC in the same timeframe running
    > 2.2->2.5. Sounds like a 2.x varient.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Be comforted that in the face of all erridity and disallusionment, and
    > despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in
    > computer maintainance. --Deteriorata (pechter-at-gmail-dot-com)

    Thanks for your response.

    AEF

  8. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >> In article <1194194073.169572.156550@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>, AEF writes:
    >>>
    >>> VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    >>> 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS
    >>>

    >>> Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    >>> from?

    >> The banner layout hasn't changed in ages, but the date 1981 means VMS
    >> 2.x or earlier. I think by September VMS 2.5 had shipped, but not
    >> yet 3.0.
    >>

    > Wow. I don't remember writing that. But now I see in the headers
    > it was last year. I better see why these messages are showing up
    > as unread before I spend hours re-reading old news.

    I am seeing the replies, but not the original (year old) messages.
    Are you people using Google Groups? If so, it appears there is
    the crux of the problem as it appears to have revived a bunch of old
    messages and somehow marked them as "new". Luckily either Google
    Groups knows enough not to re-injewct them into the system or the
    other systems are able to detect they are garbage and are not propogating
    them.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  9. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    In article <1194194073.169572.156550@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>, AEF writes:

    > VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    > 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS

    If the date is right, VMS 1.x - 2.3 or so were available. I don't
    recall if the banner format changed between 1.x and 2.0, but it has
    pretty stable since then.

  10. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <1194194073.169572.156550@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>, AEF writes:
    >>
    >> VAX/VMS PTEXT 23-SEP-1981 17:56 LPA0: 23-SEP-1981
    >> 17:56 _DRA0:[PRIME]PTEXT.DAT;1 VAX/VMS
    >>

    >> Anyone have any ideas what version of VAX/VMS these printouts are
    >> from?

    > The banner layout hasn't changed in ages, but the date 1981 means VMS
    > 2.x or earlier. I think by September VMS 2.5 had shipped, but not
    > yet 3.0.

    Wow. I don't remember writing that. But now I see in the headers
    it was last year. I better see why these messages are showing up
    as unread before I spend hours re-reading old news.

  11. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    In article <6mtrt5FidnapU1@mid.individual.net>, billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

    > I am seeing the replies, but not the original (year old) messages.
    > Are you people using Google Groups?

    Nope, not Google. All of a sudden my unread counter had jumped to
    match the total available counter. Don't know why, maybe some
    work on the server misalligned the IDs.

  12. Re: Name that VAX/VMS version based on banner

    On Oct 30, 9:41*am, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > * * * * koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > >> * *The banner layout hasn't changed in ages, but the date 1981 means VMS
    > >> * *2.x or earlier. *I think by September VMS 2.5 had shipped, but not
    > >> * *yet 3.0.

    > > * * Wow. *I don't remember writing that. *But now I see in the headers
    > > * *it was last year. *I better see why these messages are showingup
    > > * *as unread before I spend hours re-reading old news.

    > I am seeing the replies, but not the original (year old) messages.
    > Are you people using Google Groups? *If so, it appears there is
    > the crux of the problem as it appears to have revived a bunch of old
    > messages and somehow marked them as "new". *Luckily either Google
    > Groups knows enough not to re-injewct them into the system or the
    > other systems are able to detect they are garbage and are not propogating
    > them.

    Unless things have changed over the last 1-3 years or so, you can't
    use Google Groups to reply to a thread whose last post is over a month
    (or so) old. So I don't think its Google's fault. Google can't always
    count correctly, but it appears to not be at fault here.

    AEF

    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon * * * * *| *de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. *Three wolves
    > billg...@cs.scranton.edu | *and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton * |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania * | * * * * #include *

+ Reply to Thread