minimum system requirements for OpenVMS 7.3 VAX - VMS

This is a discussion on minimum system requirements for OpenVMS 7.3 VAX - VMS ; Hello, Can a VAXserver 3400 with 12 MB memory and 150 MB disk install and run OpenVMS 7.3? I'd like to purchase the OpenVMS 7.3 Hobbyist CDROM, unless 12 MB memory and 150 MB disk isn't enough for this OS. ...

  1. minimum system requirements for OpenVMS 7.3 VAX

    Hello,

    Can a VAXserver 3400 with 12 MB memory and 150 MB disk install and
    run OpenVMS 7.3?
    I'd like to purchase the OpenVMS 7.3 Hobbyist CDROM, unless 12 MB
    memory and 150 MB disk isn't enough for this OS.

    This HP web page indicates OpenVMS 7.3 is supported on this system:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/hw_supportchart.html
    However, I cannot find info about minimum memory req'd or disk space
    necessary for a new install.

    This HP web page says OpenVMS 7.3 can be downloaded for free:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/li...ams/index.html
    Is this true? I can only find information about purchasing a CDROM:
    http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/mount.html

    If the VAXserver 3400 can run OpenVMS 7.3, then the next issue is
    how to get the OS from the distribution CDROM onto the DSSI disk.
    This VAX has no SCSI interface, so I think a network boot is the only
    option. Currently, it boots diskless using NetBSD. NetBSD does not
    have a DSSI driver (as far as I know), so I cannot use NetBSD to write
    to the disk (dd copy a NFS mounted OpenVMS CDROM to the 150 MB disk).
    Is it possible to load an OpenVMS kernel via the network (same as
    NetBSD does), and run the VAX diskless with NFS support?
    -From what I've read, I don't think so.
    Another possibility:
    This machine does have a TK70 DLT (CompacTape-II) tape drive.
    NetBSD has a driver for the TK70. Could I boot NetBSD, NFS mount
    the OpenVMS CDROM, and write a OpenVMS bootable image to tape?
    Then, boot from the tape and install OpenVMS on the DSSI disk?

    One last question (just curious): I know Oracle DB was originally
    deployed on VAX/VMS. What was the approx minimum memory required
    for Oracle versions 5 or 6 on VAX/VMS, in the late 1980's?
    Today, running 64-bit Oracle on machines with tens or hundreds of
    GB of memory, I am curious to know what it was like to run Oracle
    at the other end of the spectrum, with just tens of MB available.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: minimum system requirements for OpenVMS 7.3 VAX

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:14:22 -0700, Scott Mickey
    wrote:

    > If the VAXserver 3400 can run OpenVMS 7.3, then the next issue is
    > how to get the OS from the distribution CDROM onto the DSSI disk.

    Been there, done that! :-)

    Just download SIMH (http://simh.trailing-edge.com/) and use it to
    install and boot VMS on a host machine from which it can communicate
    with others by means of the host ethernet interface.

    Configure the emulated VAX as a cluster boot server and the VAXserver
    3400 as a diskless satellite (without local swap and page files), then
    boot it from the network.

    Once the 3400 is booted and has joined the cluster, you'll be able to
    mount its DSSI disk cluster-wide and restore on it the VMS073.B save
    set (or whatever other VMSxxx.B save set you desire).

    Copy to the MFD of the newly initialized DSSI disk the other relevant
    OpenVMS installation save sets (at least VMSxxx.C, see Appendix D of
    the OpenVMS VAX Version X.X Upgrade and Installation Manual).

    Do not forget to copy TCP/IP or DECnet kits to the MFD before booting
    stand-alone, or you'll not be able to copy other kits when needed and
    you'll have to use the satellite trick again.

    Reboot the 3400 from its DSSI disk (which now is bootable) and follow
    the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. When it asks
    for the save set location, just direct it to the same DSSI disk.

    To recover some space, as soon as the installation is complete, you
    can safely delete the save sets from the MFD and run VMSTAILOR in
    SYS$UPDATE. About the same topic see also Appendix H of the
    Installation Manual which is about "Small Capacity System Disks".

    HTH,
    G.

  3. Re: minimum system requirements for OpenVMS 7.3 VAX

    Scott Mickey wrote:
    > Can a VAXserver 3400 with 12 MB memory and 150 MB disk install and
    > run OpenVMS 7.3?

    I am pretty confident that it is doable.

    I ran 7.2 on an all mighty Microvax II with 16 meg of memory (but it was
    installed on a 250 meg system disk).

    You will need a huge pagefile, and you will need to tweak many sysgen
    parameters.

    You will have no problems booting the standalone backup and then loading
    the B saveset on the 150 meg disk. However, the subsequent rebooting
    will invoke the installation continuation procedure instead of
    startup.com and the former will be the one checking for system parameters.

    If it declares your system to be unusable, you can then edit the
    installation procedure and remove those checks and let it proceed. You
    will want to tailor off many compotents and not expand the various
    compressed libraries (help etc).

    In terms of lacking access to the CD:

    Easiest way would be if you have another VMS node. You can then build a
    cluster and have the new vax boot off the older one, at which point the
    new vax would have access to the old vax/alpha CD drive.

    having an alpha serve as boot node for a vax is possible, but you need
    to understand how it works.

    If you have no other VMS machine available from which to boot, then
    getting the standalone backup and saveset B onto the TK70 is your best
    bet. You'll need to manually build this with netbsd and make sure you
    copy the files in the right order (look at stabackit.com in sys$update
    if I remember well).

    Remember that the first phase will initialise that system drive, so you
    cannot rely on anything being left on it.

    > Is it possible to load an OpenVMS kernel via the network (same as
    > NetBSD does), and run the VAX diskless with NFS support?

    In a word, no. The VAX console knows only about MOP booting. And the VMS
    kernel for the very early boot sequence knows only about vaxcluster to
    access remote drives. NFS support comes from the TCPIP stack which is
    loaded as an application, well after VMS has booted.

    > NetBSD has a driver for the TK70. Could I boot NetBSD, NFS mount
    > the OpenVMS CDROM, and write a OpenVMS bootable image to tape?
    > Then, boot from the tape and install OpenVMS on the DSSI disk?

    Yes and no. The "bootable image" will be a series of files copied to the
    TK tape in a specific sequence. Those files would be present on the CD,
    but you'll have to take a look at STABACKIT.COM to find out in what
    order the files needs to be copied to tape.

    > One last question (just curious): I know Oracle DB was originally
    > deployed on VAX/VMS. What was the approx minimum memory required
    > for Oracle versions 5 or 6 on VAX/VMS, in the late 1980's?

    Ok, now you are REALLY pushing it for for that machine... I don't think
    150meg disk and 12 meg of memory are anwhere near enough for Oracle.

+ Reply to Thread