hope there's VMS here - VMS

This is a discussion on hope there's VMS here - VMS ; I don't want to die from M$! ....from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)... -- VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?" http://tmesis.com/drat.html...

  1. hope there's VMS here

    I don't want to die from M$!

    ....from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: hope there's VMS here

    On 11/01/07 18:50, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I don't want to die from M$!
    >
    > ...from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...

    Hope you feel well soon.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  3. Re: hope there's VMS here

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I don't want to die from M$!
    >
    > ...from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...

    Best wishes for a quick recovery.

    Do they have Philips or Agilent health monitors ones where you are ?

    Philips has made huge inroads in medical systems at the expense of what
    used to be HP (now agilent).

    These monitors are petty fancy, complete with ethernet for
    interconnection etc etc. Full functionality is seen in an ICU situation
    where interconnected monitors in each room/bed talk to each other and
    exchange alarms along with a central monitor at the nurse desk.

  4. Re: hope there's VMS here

    G'day Brian,

    > I don't want to die from M$!
    >
    > ...from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...

    Don't worry! I believe all the Gender Realignment kit still runs RPG/400
    software :-)

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. In case it's something more serious (and given your impeccable medical
    history; why wouldn't it be :-) I hope your up and about real soon! I was
    almost back in London (circa St. Katherine Docs.) recently and thought of
    you. Maybe the nortehrn summer who knows? (Like most, I'm currently
    receiving most of my income from non-VMS pursuits :-( but hey, I get to stay
    in Perth and Tier3 is growing!)

    wrote in message
    > I don't want to die from M$!
    >
    > ...from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker

    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: hope there's VMS here

    In article , "Richard Maher" writes:

    >G'day Brian,
    >
    >> I don't want to die from M$!
    >>
    >> ...from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...

    >Don't worry! I believe all the Gender Realignment kit still runs RPG/400
    >software :-)
    >
    >Cheers Richard Maher
    >
    >PS. In case it's something more serious (and given your impeccable medical
    >history; why wouldn't it be :-) I hope your up and about real soon! I was

    Don't bet on it. S4 (evere schmuckhead stress syndrome) has landed me here
    again. Twice in the mid-90s and the one time nearly killed me.

    >almost back in London (circa St. Katherine Docs.) recently and thought of
    >you. Maybe the nortehrn summer who knows? (Like most, I'm currently
    >receiving most of my income from non-VMS pursuits :-( but hey, I get to stay
    >in Perth and Tier3 is growing!)

    I remember that well, brief though that meetup was. If you recall, we had
    to leave to catch a train to get to Braintree to see YES's final European
    Tour gig. Turned out the train we were supposed to take was cancelled and
    we had to take the next one. Arriving at Braintree station, we hired the
    first taxi in the ranks and he got us to the Equestrian Center (where YES
    was playing) just as the doors were opened. Fortunately, our friends held
    us a place in the queue at the front. Here is that gang at the Brain-
    tree Equestian Center (you can see the Roger Dean designed YES stage in
    the background): http://www.tmesis.com/moonies/yes_6.jpg

    I saw the same tour several more times in the US. We even managed to get
    backstage with YES! Photo's link: http://www.tmesis.com/bands_2004/YES/

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: hope there's VMS here

    On Nov 1, 7:52 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > > I don't want to die from M$!

    > > ...from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...

    > Best wishes for a quick recovery.
    >
    > Do they have Philips or Agilent health monitors ones where you are ?
    >
    > Philips has made huge inroads in medical systems at the expense of what
    > used to be HP (now agilent).
    >
    > These monitors are petty fancy, complete with ethernet for
    > interconnection etc etc. Full functionality is seen in an ICU situation
    > where interconnected monitors in each room/bed talk to each other and
    > exchange alarms along with a central monitor at the nurse desk.

    I'd be more concerned about the clinical staff rather than fancy
    interconnects.

    Brian, hope you are being well taken care of. Best wishes for a
    speedy recovery.

    Dave...

  7. Re: hope there's VMS here

    DaveG wrote:
    > I'd be more concerned about the clinical staff rather than fancy
    > interconnects.

    But looking at the technology at bedside is an interesting diversion
    from the more serious thoughts of a very sick patient. Those Philips
    monitors have a gazilion connectors for all sorts of devices/sensors,
    and they even have the concept of a "hub" which allow you to connect
    even more sensors into the hub with just one connector going to the monitor.

    ("monitor" is used in a concept of a patient monotoring system instead
    of just an LCD screen).

    And those monitors have better sound capabilities than an Alpha DS10 :-)

  8. Re: hope there's VMS here

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Philips has made huge inroads in medical systems at the expense of
    > what used to be HP (now agilent).

    That makes it sound like Philips out-competed Agilent and that Agilent
    was still in the medical products business. My understanding is that
    Agilent actually sold its medical products business to Philips not too
    long after the spin-off from HP.

    rick jones

  9. Re: hope there's VMS here

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > That makes it sound like Philips out-competed Agilent and that Agilent
    > was still in the medical products business. My understanding is that
    > Agilent actually sold its medical products business to Philips not too
    > long after the spin-off from HP.

    I checked the Agilent site and they have a most interesting "history"
    page filled with the history of the "real" HP.

    http://www.agilent.com/about/company...tml?cmpid=4491

    And it confirms that in 2001, Agilent (which was spun off in 2000
    (announced in 1999) sold the medical business to Philips. I hadn't
    heard of this.

    I had only heard that Philips was very happy with the growth of its
    medical business. So the fact that a nearby hospital went to Philips
    when they upgraded their old HP branded equipment is now explained.

    Is there any competition to Philips in that market ?

    And if there were ever a definition of "mission critical", it would
    apply to those life monitors. You really cannot afford to have errors or
    have them "BSOD" on an unconscious patient. Not sure what OS they run
    under the hood, but perhaps it would be VxWorks or Linux.

    Perhaps Mr Vaxman can take one apart during his stay in the hospital and
    rig it to play space invaders :-)

    I've had the misfortune of seeing one of those fully kitted out on a
    patient and it is pretty impressive all the stuff they can do
    (controling dosage of various fluids as well as monitoring everything,
    and in the ICU setting, it will transmit to every room any alarms for
    any one patient so if the doctor/nurse is in room 1 but room 3 has a
    heart attack, they immediatly know and can see the exact nature of the
    alarm from the room 1 monitor. (think of a smart OPCOM that knows which
    messages are important and should be prioritised over others).

  10. Re: hope there's VMS here

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    wrote:

    > ...from a hospital bed (gotta love EVDO)...

    My first instinct is to wish you a speedy recovery, but thinking about
    it, please take your time to get well properly.

    Wishing you all the best Brian.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  11. Re: hope there's VMS here

    Damn, I never figured you as a yes-man, Brian . . .

    ok
    dpm

+ Reply to Thread