DCL command - No system messages at times - VMS

This is a discussion on DCL command - No system messages at times - VMS ; On my Alph servers running VMS 8.3 at times (not all the time) if I enter in a DCL command like for example: SHOW INTRUSION/TYPE=ALL and there are no intrusions I normally get the message: %SHOW-F-NOINTRUDERS, no intrusion records match ...

  1. DCL command - No system messages at times

    On my Alph servers running VMS 8.3 at times (not all the time)
    if I enter in a DCL command like for example:

    SHOW INTRUSION/TYPE=ALL
    and there are no intrusions I normally get the message:

    %SHOW-F-NOINTRUDERS, no intrusion records match specification

    However, frequently I get no message at all.

    or a dcl command like DIR (on a file I know is not there)

    I would normally get:

    %DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found

    However, frequently I get no message at all

    Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix it?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: DCL command - No system messages at times

    Chuck Aaron wrote:
    > On my Alph servers running VMS 8.3 at times (not all the time)
    > if I enter in a DCL command like for example:
    >
    > SHOW INTRUSION/TYPE=ALL
    > and there are no intrusions I normally get the message:
    >
    > %SHOW-F-NOINTRUDERS, no intrusion records match specification
    >
    > However, frequently I get no message at all.

    Have you executed any command file that disables messages ?

  3. Re: DCL command - No system messages at times

    On 11/1/07, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Chuck Aaron wrote:
    > > On my Alph servers running VMS 8.3 at times (not all the time)
    > > if I enter in a DCL command like for example:
    > >
    > > SHOW INTRUSION/TYPE=ALL
    > > and there are no intrusions I normally get the message:
    > >
    > > %SHOW-F-NOINTRUDERS, no intrusion records match specification
    > >
    > > However, frequently I get no message at all.
    > >

    > Have you executed any command file that disables messages ?

    What does

    $ write sys$output f$env("message")

    show?

    This will tell you what settings VMS thinks are set for the

    $ set message

    command

    If it says something like

    /notext/noid/noseverity/nofacility

    do a

    $ set mess/text/id/severity/facility

    to get the messages back, then figure out why they were turned off.

    Ken

  4. DCL Symmetry WAS: DCL command - No system messages at times

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 09:23:29 -0700, Ken Robinson
    wrote:

    > On 11/1/07, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >> Chuck Aaron wrote:
    >> > On my Alph servers running VMS 8.3 at times (not all the time)
    >> > if I enter in a DCL command like for example:
    >> >
    >> > SHOW INTRUSION/TYPE=ALL
    >> > and there are no intrusions I normally get the message:
    >> >
    >> > %SHOW-F-NOINTRUDERS, no intrusion records match specification
    >> >
    >> > However, frequently I get no message at all.
    >> >

    >> Have you executed any command file that disables messages ?
    >>

    > What does
    >
    > $ write sys$output f$env("message")
    >
    > show?
    >
    > This will tell you what settings VMS thinks are set for the
    >
    > $ set message
    >
    > command
    >
    > If it says something like
    >
    > /notext/noid/noseverity/nofacility
    >
    > do a
    >
    > $ set mess/text/id/severity/facility

    It has often struck me as odd that there is not symmetry (at least where
    it makes sense) between SET and SHOW. If I had written DCL it would. Of
    course,
    had I written it, it would look like Rexx:-)

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  5. Re: DCL Symmetry WAS: DCL command - No system messages at times

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 09:23:29 -0700, Ken Robinson
    > wrote:

    > >> Have you executed any command file that disables messages ?
    > >>

    > > What does
    > >
    > > $ write sys$output f$env("message")
    > >
    > > show?
    > >
    > > This will tell you what settings VMS thinks are set for the
    > >
    > > $ set message
    > >
    > > command
    > >
    > > If it says something like
    > >
    > > /notext/noid/noseverity/nofacility
    > >
    > > do a
    > >
    > > $ set mess/text/id/severity/facility

    > It has often struck me as odd that there is not symmetry (at least where
    > it makes sense) between SET and SHOW.

    Agreed. Every SET option should have a matching SHOW.

    $ SET MESSAGE
    $ SHOW MESSAGE

    $ SET VERIFY
    $ SHOW VERIFY

    $ SET CACHE
    $ SHOW CACHE

    $ SHOW CLUSTER
    $ SET CLUSTER[/QUORUM=ADJUST, etc.)

    $ SET CONTROL
    $ SHOW CONTROL

    $ SET FILE
    $ SHOW FILE

    Here's a biggie, eh?
    $ SET LOGINS
    $ SHOW LOGINS

    $ SET ON
    $ SHOW ON

    $ SET PREFERRED_PATH should really be SET DEVICE/PREFERRED_PATH, thus
    $ SHOW DEVICE/PREFERRED_PATH

    $ SET DIRECTORY
    $ SHOW DIRECTORY

    $ SET OUTPUT_RATE
    $ SHOW OUTPUT_RATE

    ....and so on.

    > If I had written DCL it would.

    Likewise. Then again, in such case, we'd likely also have things like:

    $ DIRECTORY/SORT_BY=(NAME|TYPE|VERSION|DATE[,ASCENDING|DESCENDING])

    ....where the DATE keyword governed by /CREATED, /MODIFIED, etc.; multiple
    keywords would become sort keys in the order listed, and numerous other command
    enhancements.

    > Of
    > course,
    > had I written it, it would look like Rexx:-)

    I've probably seen REXX, but don't recall what it looks like just now.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  6. Re: DCL Symmetry WAS: DCL command - No system messages at times

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 09:23:29 -0700, Ken Robinson
    >> wrote:

    >>> What does
    >>>
    >>> $ write sys$output f$env("message")
    >>>
    >>> show?
    >>>
    >>> This will tell you what settings VMS thinks are set for the
    >>>
    >>> $ set message
    >>>
    >>> command
    >>>
    >>> If it says something like
    >>>
    >>> /notext/noid/noseverity/nofacility
    >>>
    >>> do a
    >>>
    >>> $ set mess/text/id/severity/facility

    >> It has often struck me as odd that there is not symmetry (at least where
    >> it makes sense) between SET and SHOW.

    > Agreed. Every SET option should have a matching SHOW.
    >
    > $ SET MESSAGE
    > $ SHOW MESSAGE
    >
    > $ SET VERIFY
    > $ SHOW VERIFY
    >
    > $ SET CACHE
    > $ SHOW CACHE
    >
    > $ SHOW CLUSTER
    > $ SET CLUSTER[/QUORUM=ADJUST, etc.)
    >
    > $ SET CONTROL
    > $ SHOW CONTROL
    >
    > $ SET FILE
    > $ SHOW FILE
    >
    > Here's a biggie, eh?
    > $ SET LOGINS
    > $ SHOW LOGINS
    >
    > $ SET ON
    > $ SHOW ON
    >
    > $ SET PREFERRED_PATH should really be SET DEVICE/PREFERRED_PATH, thus
    > $ SHOW DEVICE/PREFERRED_PATH
    >
    > $ SET DIRECTORY
    > $ SHOW DIRECTORY
    >
    > $ SET OUTPUT_RATE
    > $ SHOW OUTPUT_RATE
    >
    > ...and so on.
    >
    >> If I had written DCL it would.

    > Likewise. Then again, in such case, we'd likely also have things like:
    >
    > $ DIRECTORY/SORT_BY=(NAME|TYPE|VERSION|DATE[,ASCENDING|DESCENDING])

    RT-11 can do (some of) that!

    .dir/ordtyp:dat:siz:blo:rev)

    8-)

    > ...where the DATE keyword governed by /CREATED, /MODIFIED, etc.; multiple
    > keywords would become sort keys in the order listed, and numerous othercommand
    > enhancements.
    >
    >> Of
    >> course,
    >> had I written it, it would look like Rexx:-)

    > I've probably seen REXX, but don't recall what it looks like just now.

    Jeff

  7. Re: DCL Symmetry WAS: DCL command - No system messages at times

    As can MS-DOS. :\

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA