Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST - VMS

This is a discussion on Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST - VMS ; If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock resets from EDT to EST, can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a $WAIT 01:10:00 in it, then $@whatever.com In other words, ...

  1. Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock resets
    from EDT to EST,
    can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    $WAIT 01:10:00
    in it, then
    $@whatever.com

    In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

  2. Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    In article , norm.raphael@metso.com writes:
    > This is a multipart message in MIME format.
    > --=_alternative 0071A2FA85257385_=
    >
    > If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock resets
    > from EDT to EST,
    > can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    > $WAIT 01:10:00
    > in it, then
    > $@whatever.com
    >
    > In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

    IIRC, the timers in VMS are all converted to and sorted by absolute
    time when they are entered in the timer queue.

  3. Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article , norm.raphael@metso.com writes:
    >> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
    >> --=_alternative 0071A2FA85257385_=
    >>
    >> If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock resets
    >> from EDT to EST,
    >> can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    >> $WAIT 01:10:00
    >> in it, then
    >> $@whatever.com
    >>
    >> In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

    > IIRC, the timers in VMS are all converted to and sorted by absolute
    > time when they are entered in the timer queue.

    True, but irrelevant. [Pulls out his 5.2 VAX/VMS IDSM]

    Each timer queue entry has a bit mask (TQE$B_RQTYPE) with a bit
    (TQE$V_ABSOLUTE) that indicates whether the entry is relative or absolute.

    When you "spring forward" or "fall back", EXE$SETTIME adjusts the
    expiration time of each entry in the timer queue that was created
    using a relative time by the difference between the previous system
    time and the new system time. So if you fall back by one hour then
    the absolute time on each relative timer queue entry will be decremented
    by one hour.

  4. Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    In article , norm.raphael@metso.com writes:

    > If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock resets
    > from EDT to EST,
    > can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    > $WAIT 01:10:00
    > in it, then
    > $@whatever.com
    >
    > In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

    Not quite the way you wrote it. Absolute times execute when the clock
    gets to, or passes (if the clock is changed) the time specified. Delta
    times get massaged when the clock is changed so that the elapsed time is
    preserved.

    So when you submit/after=1:55, then change time from 2:00 to 1:00,
    the following will happen.

    The job starts at 1:55 EDT. It hits the wait statement. In 10
    minutes the time will be 1:05 EST. You're wait statement needs to
    be

    $WAIT 00:10:00.

  5. Re: Submit to run at 01:05 after EDT becomes EST

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article , norm.raphael@metso.com writes:
    >> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
    >> --=_alternative 0071A2FA85257385_=
    >>
    >> If I want to submit a batch job to execute at 01:05 after the clock resets
    >> from EDT to EST,
    >> can I submit it to run after 1:55 and put a
    >> $WAIT 01:10:00
    >> in it, then
    >> $@whatever.com
    >>
    >> In other words, will the WAIT count time units and ignore the clock?

    > IIRC, the timers in VMS are all converted to and sorted by absolute
    > time when they are entered in the timer queue.

    Yes, but those that were requested as delta time are flagged and
    handled appropriately when the system time is changed.

+ Reply to Thread