Re: WTB P/OS or RT-11 System Disks - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: WTB P/OS or RT-11 System Disks - VMS ; In article , "Tom Lake" writes: > > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message > news:5oon8bFnrgkeU1@mid.individual.net... >> In article , >> "Tom Lake" writes: >>> I'm looking for a complete set of P/OS or RT-11 System disks (5.25" >>> floppies >>> ...

  1. Re: WTB P/OS or RT-11 System Disks

    In article ,
    "Tom Lake" writes:

    > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    >> In article <4726c250$0$32516$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    >> "Tom Lake" writes:
    >>> I'm looking for a complete set of P/OS or RT-11 System disks (5.25"
    >>> floppies
    >>> that can be used on PRO 350)

    >> RT-11 is sold by Mentec. P/OS, I believe, is available on the net. I
    >> think I have a set of images but have never had the chance to actually
    >> put them on real disks yet. (I have a PRO as well and am still looking
    >> for an Ethernet card if anyone has one they are willing to let go of.)

    > Thanks but I just contacted Mentec (Ireland) and they said they no longer
    > handle DEC software.
    >
    > Bummer!

    Whoa!!! I just tried to visit their US web page and it appears to
    be gone as well. An interesting development considering I had
    contact with them not too awfully long ago and it was business as
    usual.

    This brings up the next big question (which is why I am detouring
    this to the PDP-11 groups). I wonder if there is any chance in
    the world that they would be willing to release it all (especially
    source code) to either the public doamain or perhaps just as Open
    Source under a BSD style or even (gaack) some form of the GPL?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: WTB P/OS or RT-11 System Disks

    In article <472739FA.17721.AA91F4@stuart.brook.ca>,
    "Stuart Brook" writes:
    > On 30 Oct 2007 at 17:04, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> "Tom Lake" writes:
    >> >
    >> > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message

    >> > Thanks but I just contacted Mentec (Ireland) and they said they no longer
    >> > handle DEC software.
    >> >
    >> > Bummer!

    >> Whoa!!! I just tried to visit their US web page and it appears to
    >> be gone as well. An interesting development considering I had
    >> contact with them not too awfully long ago and it was business as
    >> usual.
    >>
    >> This brings up the next big question (which is why I am detouring
    >> this to the PDP-11 groups). I wonder if there is any chance in
    >> the world that they would be willing to release it all (especially
    >> source code) to either the public doamain or perhaps just as Open
    >> Source under a BSD style or even (gaack) some form of the GPL?
    >>
    >> bill

    > I spoke with them about a month ago by phone. Still very much in
    > business.
    >
    > Mentec Ltd. was bought out (the main Irish company ... which is why they
    > say they no longer deal with PDP-11 stuff)
    >
    > Mentec Inc. is now an independent company from Mentec Ltd (which is
    > owned by the Calyx Group). I'm not sure how the ownership chain works,
    > but it is still owned by the same principals.
    >
    > As far as I understand it, you can still phone them at 603-883-7711 and
    > email them at sales@mentec-inc.com

    Wouldn't you have thought the former parent company would have told a
    prospective customer this as opposed to just blowing them off? Sounds
    like a not so happy breakup.

    So, why then is does a search for "mentec" and "pdp" get nothing but
    expired links or a yahoo page that has been under construction for
    months? Sigh, I guess it will just be business as usual in the PDP
    world.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  3. Re: WTB P/OS or RT-11 System Disks

    On 30 Oct 2007 at 17:04, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Tom Lake" writes:
    > >
    > > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> RT-11 is sold by Mentec. P/OS, I believe, is available on the net. I
    > >> think I have a set of images but have never had the chance to actually
    > >> put them on real disks yet. (I have a PRO as well and am still looking
    > >> for an Ethernet card if anyone has one they are willing to let go of.)

    > > Thanks but I just contacted Mentec (Ireland) and they said they no longer
    > > handle DEC software.
    > >
    > > Bummer!

    > Whoa!!! I just tried to visit their US web page and it appears to
    > be gone as well. An interesting development considering I had
    > contact with them not too awfully long ago and it was business as
    > usual.
    >
    > This brings up the next big question (which is why I am detouring
    > this to the PDP-11 groups). I wonder if there is any chance in
    > the world that they would be willing to release it all (especially
    > source code) to either the public doamain or perhaps just as Open
    > Source under a BSD style or even (gaack) some form of the GPL?
    >
    > bill

    I spoke with them about a month ago by phone. Still very much in
    business.

    Mentec Ltd. was bought out (the main Irish company ... which is why they
    say they no longer deal with PDP-11 stuff)

    Mentec Inc. is now an independent company from Mentec Ltd (which is
    owned by the Calyx Group). I'm not sure how the ownership chain works,
    but it is still owned by the same principals.

    As far as I understand it, you can still phone them at 603-883-7711 and
    email them at sales@mentec-inc.com

    Stuart

  4. Re: WTB P/OS or RT-11 System Disks

    On 30 Oct 2007 at 18:17, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > Wouldn't you have thought the former parent company would have told a
    > prospective customer this as opposed to just blowing them off? Sounds
    > like a not so happy breakup.

    Well, Mentec Ltd (Ireland) hasn't been particularly PDP-11 oriented for
    years.

    > So, why then is does a search for "mentec" and "pdp" get nothing but
    > expired links or a yahoo page that has been under construction for
    > months? Sigh, I guess it will just be business as usual in the PDP
    > world.

    Indeed it is. Slow, but nonetheless, sales do come in from what I
    understand. The PDP-11 will NOT go away as a commercial box in a hurry!

    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread