HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS - VMS

This is a discussion on HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS - VMS ; I want to thank HP for putting the "Celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS" on their main page. That's great ! And of course I thank everyone that worked on making this 30-years site. Now that it's more properly advertised, I ...

  1. HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    I want to thank HP for putting the "Celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS" on
    their main page.

    That's great !

    And of course I thank everyone that worked on making this 30-years site.
    Now that it's more properly advertised, I hope the number of visits will
    raise.

    I know, some here will not be so happy and find ways to complain, but I
    think this is the best thing that happened to VMS for a very long time,
    advertisement-wise. Not only preaching to the choir this time.

    Happy anniversary VMS !

    --
    Syltrem
    http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)

  2. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    On Oct 30, 9:22 am, "Syltrem" wrote:
    > I want to thank HP for putting the "Celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS" on
    > their main page.
    >
    > That's great !
    >
    > And of course I thank everyone that worked on making this 30-years site.
    > Now that it's more properly advertised, I hope the number of visits will
    > raise.
    >
    > I know, some here will not be so happy and find ways to complain, but I
    > think this is the best thing that happened to VMS for a very long time,
    > advertisement-wise. Not only preaching to the choir this time.
    >
    > Happy anniversary VMS !
    >
    > --
    > Syltremhttp://pages.infinit.net/syltrem(OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)

    Happy Anniversary VMS!!!

    Yep, I just checked: It's still there on the front f------ page!

    Hooray again!

    AEF

  3. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    Easy enough to find; just handy to have it in the thread.

  4. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    AEF wrote:

    > On Oct 30, 9:22 am, "Syltrem" wrote:
    > > I want to thank HP for putting the "Celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS" on
    > > their main page.
    > >
    > > That's great !
    > >
    > > And of course I thank everyone that worked on making this 30-years site.
    > > Now that it's more properly advertised, I hope the number of visits will
    > > raise.
    > >
    > > I know, some here will not be so happy and find ways to complain, but I
    > > think this is the best thing that happened to VMS for a very long time,
    > > advertisement-wise. Not only preaching to the choir this time.
    > >
    > > Happy anniversary VMS !
    > >
    > > --
    > > Syltremhttp://pages.infinit.net/syltrem(OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)

    > Happy Anniversary VMS!!!
    >
    > Yep, I just checked: It's still there on the front f------ page!
    >
    > Hooray again!

    Which "front" page? Didn't see it on http://www.hp.com/ , just some stuff about
    Halloween specials.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    On 10/30/07, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Which "front" page? Didn't see it on http://www.hp.com/ , just some stuff about
    > Halloween specials.

    It's no longer there. :-(

    It was visible when the "Large Enterpise" tab was active.

    Ken

  6. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    Ken Robinson wrote:
    >> It's no longer there. :-(

    That is understandable. HP has to go on its real business. They
    annojcned some new encryption product and that is what is now featured.

    I guess the VMS folks can claim a big victory in having achieved this
    ephemeral exposure on the main page. It could have been more visible
    (like that solar powered car sponsorship thing) and there a week before
    the anniversary and at least a few days after it. But that is way too
    much to expect. Lets face it, VMS is not important to HP.

    They could have had a real press release, not only going out on the
    newswires, but also posted at:
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2007/index.html

    THAT would have been a major step forwards at very little cost to HP.

    Or at:
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/fe...007/index.html

    (Scrolll down to the entry titled:
    ##
    HP handheld calculators celebrate 35 years of innovation (June 2007)
    ##

    Of course, the 30th anniversary of VMS isn't mentioned on that page either.

    Perhaps the so called marketing campaign consisted of the short
    appearance on the home page, the special pages for the 30th anniversary
    amd the hurd video. Perhaps there is much more to come.

    If the VMS staff are angry at our criticisms, they should have posted a
    whole list of planned marketing devices/events so that we would have a
    "big picture" of what is to come. Not knowing if there is anything left
    to come, we have left wondering if that was it or if there is more to come.

  7. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message news:4727E63C.9B8C6D07@spam.comcast.net...
    > AEF wrote:
    >>
    >> On Oct 30, 9:22 am, "Syltrem" wrote:
    >> > I want to thank HP for putting the "Celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS" on
    >> > their main page.
    >> >
    >> > That's great !
    >> >
    >> > And of course I thank everyone that worked on making this 30-years site.
    >> > Now that it's more properly advertised, I hope the number of visits will
    >> > raise.
    >> >
    >> > I know, some here will not be so happy and find ways to complain, but I
    >> > think this is the best thing that happened to VMS for a very long time,
    >> > advertisement-wise. Not only preaching to the choir this time.
    >> >
    >> > Happy anniversary VMS !
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Syltremhttp://pages.infinit.net/syltrem(OpenVMS information and help, en franšais)

    >> Happy Anniversary VMS!!!
    >>
    >> Yep, I just checked: It's still there on the front f------ page!
    >>
    >> Hooray again!

    > Which "front" page? Didn't see it on http://www.hp.com/ , just some stuff about
    > Halloween specials.

    It is now at:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/30th/index.html

  8. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    In article <13iec0pecdbckab@corp.supernews.com>, "Syltrem" writes:

    > I want to thank HP for putting the "Celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS" on
    > their main page.

    What main page? I don't see it on www.hp.com. Nor if I add /go/vms.

  9. Re: HP *is* celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS

    On Oct 29, 8:41*am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <13iec0pecdbc...@corp.supernews.com>, "Syltrem" writes:
    > > I want to thank HP for putting the "Celebrating 30 years of OpenVMS" on
    > > their main page.

    > * *What main page? *I don't see it onwww.hp.com. *Nor if I add /go/vms.

    When looking at: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/index.html?jumpid=/go/openvms

    I see in the box on the top right of the page, a 30th Anniversary site
    link. Still works. Its been there for close to 365 days now. At one
    time, but briefly, it was on HP's main page.

+ Reply to Thread