9-Track tapes on integrity - VMS

This is a discussion on 9-Track tapes on integrity - VMS ; Is it possible (I know it's not supported) to use a SCSI 9-track tape drive (TSZ07) on a VMS Integrity server (RX26660) by way of an Ultra320 scsi adapter? We would also need to use a 4mm DDS-3 drive but ...

  1. 9-Track tapes on integrity

    Is it possible (I know it's not supported) to use a SCSI 9-track tape drive (TSZ07) on a VMS Integrity server (RX26660) by way of an Ultra320 scsi adapter? We would also need to use a 4mm DDS-3 drive but I can't imagine that would be a problem if the 9-track would work.

    I think I have a handle on the issues involved except for the archaic data input requirements. (No, it isn't feasible to eliminate the 9-track input requirement.) Is anyone using 9-track on Itanium?

    Eric Ebinger

  2. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    "Ebinger . Eric" wrote in message
    news:B3C98F093EDF2146ADB62CDBD5B7FB060FEC7B@andexc h01.drc.com...

    Is it possible (I know it's not supported) to use a SCSI 9-track tape drive
    (TSZ07) on a VMS Integrity server (RX26660) by way of an Ultra320 scsi
    adapter? We would also need to use a 4mm DDS-3 drive but I can't imagine
    that would be a problem if the 9-track would work.

    It is possible to put a little alfa behind 9-track? And then MSCP serve tape
    drive to itanium. This should work.

    Best, Gorazd

  3. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    "Ebinger . Eric" wrote:

    > Is it possible (I know it's not supported) to use a SCSI 9-track tape

    drive (TSZ07) on a VMS Integrity server (RX26660) by way of an Ultra320
    scsi adapter? We would also need to use a 4mm DDS-3 drive but I can't
    imagine that would be a problem if the 9-track would work.

    > I think I have a handle on the issues involved except for the archaic

    data input requirements. (No, it isn't feasible to eliminate the 9-track
    input requirement.) Is anyone using 9-track on Itanium?

    Other than the SCSI interface issues, I would think that the software (MKDRIVER)
    should behave predictably, even if portions of the hardware layers are not
    officially supported.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  4. RE: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    No, the goal is to get the whole system on Itanium. If that is not possible than the rational for moving any of it to Itanium is extremely questionable.

    Eric

    ________________________________

    Is it possible (I know it's not supported) to use a SCSI 9-track tape drive
    (TSZ07) on a VMS Integrity server (RX26660) by way of an Ultra320 scsi
    adapter? We would also need to use a 4mm DDS-3 drive but I can't imagine
    that would be a problem if the 9-track would work.

    It is possible to put a little alfa behind 9-track? And then MSCP serve tape
    drive to itanium. This should work.

    Best, Gorazd

  5. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:36:29 -0700, Ebinger . Eric
    wrote:

    > No, the goal is to get the whole system on Itanium. If that is not
    > possible than the rational for moving any of it to Itanium is extremely
    > questionable.

    Well you could think of a small alpha as a tape controller

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  6. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    on 31-10-2007 14:18 Tom Linden wrote...

    > Well you could think of a small alpha as a tape controller

    Or, if the Itanium won't take it, take a DL360-style Windows server,
    CHARON (-VAX or -AXP) running on it, the TSZ connected to a SCSI interface
    in the DL360, and a big sticker "TSZ07 custom tape controller" on the
    front of the DL360.

    Looks very modern, fools most managers I'm sure.

    /Wilm

  7. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    On 10/31/07 12:49, Wilm Boerhout wrote:
    > on 31-10-2007 14:18 Tom Linden wrote...
    >
    >> Well you could think of a small alpha as a tape controller

    > Or, if the Itanium won't take it, take a DL360-style Windows server,
    > CHARON (-VAX or -AXP) running on it, the TSZ connected to a SCSI interface
    > in the DL360, and a big sticker "TSZ07 custom tape controller" on the
    > front of the DL360.
    >
    > Looks very modern, fools most managers I'm sure.

    But they'll notice the PO for the DL360.

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  8. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    Ron Johnson wrote:
    > On 10/31/07 12:49, Wilm Boerhout wrote:
    >> on 31-10-2007 14:18 Tom Linden wrote...
    >>
    >>> Well you could think of a small alpha as a tape controller

    >> Or, if the Itanium won't take it, take a DL360-style Windows server,
    >> CHARON (-VAX or -AXP) running on it, the TSZ connected to a SCSI interface
    >> in the DL360, and a big sticker "TSZ07 custom tape controller" on the
    >> front of the DL360.
    >>
    >> Looks very modern, fools most managers I'm sure.

    > But they'll notice the PO for the DL360.

    So buy a ""TSZ07 custom tape controller"" from Islandco!

    8-) 8-)

  9. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:36:29 -0700, Ebinger . Eric
    > wrote:
    >
    >> No, the goal is to get the whole system on Itanium. If that is not
    >> possible than the rational for moving any of it to Itanium is extremely
    >> questionable.

    > Well you could think of a small alpha as a tape controller

    Increasing the total number of pieces and thus the number of things
    that could fail.

  10. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    On 10/31/07 19:12, Larry Kilgallen wrote:
    > In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    >> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:36:29 -0700, Ebinger . Eric
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, the goal is to get the whole system on Itanium. If that is not
    >>> possible than the rational for moving any of it to Itanium is extremely
    >>> questionable.

    >> Well you could think of a small alpha as a tape controller

    > Increasing the total number of pieces and thus the number of things
    > that could fail.

    But Alphas don't break...

    --
    Ron Johnson, Jr.
    Jefferson LA USA

  11. Re: 9-Track tapes on integrity

    on 31-10-2007 22:54 Ron Johnson wrote...
    [snip]

    > But they'll notice the PO for the DL360.

    Yes, but that a *Windows* server, that must be OK Shirley :-)

    /Wilm

+ Reply to Thread