Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young - VMS ; Main, Kerry wrote: [...] > However, on the positive side: > http://www.vista-control.com/itanium_success.htm > Los Alamos, February 15th. 2007 After implementing mission-critical systems on Windows- > based computers for many years, a customer experienced a virus in one of these systems ...

  1. Re: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    Main, Kerry wrote:
    [...]
    > However, on the positive side:
    > http://www.vista-control.com/itanium_success.htm
    > Los Alamos, February 15th. 2007 After implementing mission-critical systems on Windows-
    > based computers for many years, a customer experienced a virus in one of these systems
    > that shut down production for two days while the infected systems were diagnosed,
    > restored and tested. The impact was that plant production was severely impacted at no
    > small cost. Despite internal opposition because of the established standard, Vsystem
    > on HP Itanium servers running OpenVMS was chosen for the next system to be replaced."

    This is a nice story - I just wish that whoever wrote it had more than a
    passing acquaintance with English; in particular, the last sentence
    could be interpreted as meaning, "Vsystem on ... Itanium will be the
    next system replaced".

    A clearer form of the sentence would be, "Vsystem on HP Itanium servers
    running OpenVMS was (were?) chosen to replace the failing systems,
    despite internal opposition from supporters of the established
    standard." :-)

    I also noted under the "Supported Platforms" link that the page lists
    all the different platforms that support Vsystem (including OpenVMS); if
    you look at the bottom of that page, you will see all sorts of trademark
    information for the different platforms, *except for* OpenVMS and Tru64
    UNIX; we all know that HP (and its predecessors) failed to retain
    trademark rights to the names, thereby missing yet another chance to
    keep HP, OpenVMS, and Tru64UNIX in the minds of the computing "public".

    Apologies for being such a buzz-kill on the 30th anniversary, but I'm
    not the only one. I note that many people (including myself) were
    inspired by Dweeb's "what if..." musings, only to be rudely brought back
    to Earth by reality - a inconvenient reality that many here wish would
    just go away.

  2. RE: Happy Anniversary VMS - 30 years young

    Hey, baby steps lead to walking which leads to running :-)

    And it may be just my albeit biased perception, but with the massive moves to
    recentralize IT environments now happening, security, stability and availability
    seems to be getting much more attention these days.

    Here is another Sept 2007 mission critical story with SCADA:
    http://www.availabilitydigest.com/pu...s/0209/qei.pdf
    extract - "The Master Station runs on HP OpenVMS blades or towers. It can be configured
    as a standalone system or in a dual, triple, or quadruple modular redundancy
    configuration, as described later."

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant