EST Fubar - VMS

This is a discussion on EST Fubar - VMS ; Timezone FYI, This morning (Sunday Oct 28) I got a call about a Solaris application that desided to transition from EDT to EST a week early. This wasn't supposed to happen until next Sunday (Nov 4). All the Solaris patches ...

  1. EST Fubar

    Timezone FYI,

    This morning (Sunday Oct 28) I got a call about a Solaris application
    that desided to transition from EDT to EST a week early. This wasn't
    supposed to happen until next Sunday (Nov 4). All the Solaris patches
    had been installed and everything at the UNIX level indicated the
    correct time and timezone (EDT) but some idiot at the application
    level decided to go his own way. The vendor claimed to have patched
    the app but I suspect that they only got the 2007-Mar thing fixed. The
    only way out of my dilema was to set the app to "GMT-4".

    p.s. affected 21,000 customers

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  2. Re: EST Fubar

    Neil Rieck wrote:
    > Timezone FYI,
    >
    > This morning (Sunday Oct 28) I got a call about a Solaris application
    > that desided to transition from EDT to EST a week early.

    Couple weeks ago, I installed a new thermostat to save energy. The PDF I
    have foudn on the net provided listing of the "register" values that
    could be set and had 0 for no automatic DST, and 1 for automatic DST. So
    I set it to "1" since I had just bought this thermostat and figured it
    would be according to current rules of EST/DST.

    It changed time this morning anyways. This time, I checked the printed
    manual to get the register number so I could disable it, and low and
    behold, the printed manual showed a possible value of 2 for DST changes
    for 2007 and beyond !

    Interesting that the printed manual had been updated, but not the
    on-line PDFs !

  3. Re: EST Fubar

    On Oct 29, 9:03 pm, "Dr. Dweeb" wrote:
    > JF Mezei wrote:
    > > Neil Rieck wrote:
    > >> Timezone FYI,

    > >> This morning (Sunday Oct 28) I got a call about a Solaris application
    > >> that desided to transition from EDT to EST a week early.

    > > Couple weeks ago, I installed a new thermostat to save energy. The
    > > PDF I have foudn on the net provided listing of the "register" values
    > > that could be set and had 0 for no automatic DST, and 1 for automatic
    > > DST. So I set it to "1" since I had just bought this thermostat and
    > > figured it would be according to current rules of EST/DST.

    > > It changed time this morning anyways. This time, I checked the printed
    > > manual to get the register number so I could disable it, and low and
    > > behold, the printed manual showed a possible value of 2 for DST
    > > changes for 2007 and beyond !

    > > Interesting that the printed manual had been updated, but not the
    > > on-line PDFs !

    > Today I looked at my SQLServer Job logs, there was a job scheduled for 03:00
    > this morning, which of course started on time, but finished before it
    > started. This resulted in a VERY bizarre duration value in the log.
    >
    > Dr. Dweeb

    So tell us this bizarre value! Unless it was just a negative time.

    AEF

  4. Re: EST Fubar

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Neil Rieck wrote:
    >> Timezone FYI,
    >>
    >> This morning (Sunday Oct 28) I got a call about a Solaris application
    >> that desided to transition from EDT to EST a week early.

    > Couple weeks ago, I installed a new thermostat to save energy. The
    > PDF I have foudn on the net provided listing of the "register" values
    > that could be set and had 0 for no automatic DST, and 1 for automatic
    > DST. So I set it to "1" since I had just bought this thermostat and
    > figured it would be according to current rules of EST/DST.
    >
    > It changed time this morning anyways. This time, I checked the printed
    > manual to get the register number so I could disable it, and low and
    > behold, the printed manual showed a possible value of 2 for DST
    > changes for 2007 and beyond !
    >
    > Interesting that the printed manual had been updated, but not the
    > on-line PDFs !

    Today I looked at my SQLServer Job logs, there was a job scheduled for 03:00
    this morning, which of course started on time, but finished before it
    started. This resulted in a VERY bizarre duration value in the log.

    Dr. Dweeb

  5. Re: EST Fubar

    AEF wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 9:03 pm, "Dr. Dweeb" wrote:
    >> JF Mezei wrote:

    >>> Couple weeks ago, I installed a new thermostat to save energy. The
    >>> PDF I have foudn on the net provided listing of the "register"
    >>> values that could be set and had 0 for no automatic DST, and 1 for
    >>> automatic DST. So I set it to "1" since I had just bought this
    >>> thermostat and figured it would be according to current rules of
    >>> EST/DST.

    >>> It changed time this morning anyways. This time, I checked the
    >>> printed manual to get the register number so I could disable it,
    >>> and low and behold, the printed manual showed a possible value of 2
    >>> for DST changes for 2007 and beyond !

    >>> Interesting that the printed manual had been updated, but not the
    >>> on-line PDFs !

    >> Today I looked at my SQLServer Job logs, there was a job scheduled
    >> for 03:00 this morning, which of course started on time, but
    >> finished before it started. This resulted in a VERY bizarre duration
    >> value in the log.
    >>
    >> Dr. Dweeb

    > So tell us this bizarre value! Unless it was just a negative time.
    >
    > AEF

    -3976.21:20:27

  6. Re: EST Fubar

    In article <47287441$0$7612$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>,
    "Dr. Dweeb" writes:
    > AEF wrote:

    >>> Today I looked at my SQLServer Job logs, there was a job scheduled
    >>> for 03:00 this morning, which of course started on time, but
    >>> finished before it started. This resulted in a VERY bizarre duration
    >>> value in the log.
    >>>
    >>> Dr. Dweeb

    >> So tell us this bizarre value! Unless it was just a negative time.
    >>
    >> AEF

    > -3976.21:20:27

    Stardate? Klingon clock? Quantum Thread Time? :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  7. Re: EST Fubar

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <47287441$0$7612$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>,
    > "Dr. Dweeb" writes:
    >> AEF wrote:

    >>> So tell us this bizarre value! Unless it was just a negative time.
    >>>
    >>> AEF

    >> -3976.21:20:27

    > Stardate? Klingon clock? Quantum Thread Time? :-)

    WTFK !

    > bill

  8. Re: EST Fubar

    In article <1193591530.303808.84300@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>, Neil Rieck writes:
    > Timezone FYI,
    >
    > This morning (Sunday Oct 28) I got a call about a Solaris application
    > that desided to transition from EDT to EST a week early.

    I wonder what our PBS stations here abouts are using. My VCR/DVD
    recorder is supposed to pick up time code from PBS. Last night
    I see that it jumped forward an hour (wrong day and wrong way).

    I verified that the unit believes it is using EDT and that the
    changeover date is programmed to 2:00 AM 1st Sunday in November.

    I suspect someone with an out of date clock saw that it was running
    one hour late.

    I have no way of knowing if it's picking up time from Maryland PBS
    or DC PBS, other than the former happens to be the lower numbered
    channel.

  9. Re: EST Fubar

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    >> I wonder what our PBS stations here abouts are using. My VCR/DVD
    >> recorder is supposed to pick up time code from PBS. Last night
    >> I see that it jumped forward an hour (wrong day and wrong way).

    > I have the same problem, in the same area. They're always off
    > by an hour for a week. We have to set our VCR to manual clock
    > settings for a while.

    Did someone notice a wormhole open up somewhere? Maybe it's just my
    news service, but Bob's reply just came in. However, the message he
    was replying to was from a year ago (or at least that's what my
    news client says :-).

    Tim.

  10. Re: EST Fubar

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > I wonder what our PBS stations here abouts are using. My VCR/DVD
    > recorder is supposed to pick up time code from PBS. Last night
    > I see that it jumped forward an hour (wrong day and wrong way).

    I have the same problem, in the same area. They're always off
    by an hour for a week. We have to set our VCR to manual clock
    settings for a while.

  11. Re: EST Fubar

    On 29 Oct, 12:48, "Tim E. Sneddon" wrote:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    > > In article , koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > >> * *I wonder what our PBS stations here abouts are using. *My VCR/DVD
    > >> * *recorder is supposed to pick up time code from PBS. *Last night
    > >> * *I see that it jumped forward an hour (wrong day and wrong way).

    > > * *I have the same problem, in the same area. *They're always off
    > > * *by an hour for a week. *We have to set our VCR to manual clock
    > > * *settings for a while.

    > Did someone notice a wormhole open up somewhere? Maybe it's just my
    > news service, but Bob's reply just came in. However, the message he
    > was replying to was from a year ago (or at least that's what my
    > news client says :-).
    >
    > Tim.

    This is at least the second thread to see this today - the one about
    VMS's 30th Birthday being on the HP home page has been resurrected
    too...

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread