DCL Help F$FAO error (VAX VMS 7.3, Alpha VMS 8.3) - VMS

This is a discussion on DCL Help F$FAO error (VAX VMS 7.3, Alpha VMS 8.3) - VMS ; For all you DCL jockeys out there: I recently had a need for the F$FAO "plurals" directive, and DCL help led me astray: from "help F$FAO directives" I understood that the plurals directives should be used as follows: $ say ...

  1. DCL Help F$FAO error (VAX VMS 7.3, Alpha VMS 8.3)

    For all you DCL jockeys out there:

    I recently had a need for the F$FAO "plurals" directive, and DCL help
    led me astray: from "help F$FAO directives" I understood that the
    plurals directives should be used as follows:

    $ say f$fao("!2UL artike!1%C!%E!%F", n, "l", "len")

    where instead the proper use is:

    $ say f$fao("!2UL artike!1%Cl!%Elen!%F", n)

    I.e. the arguments are not placed in the parameter list as suggested in
    DCL help, but in line in thee FAO string. The documentation is probably
    right (saw an excerpt on the 'net), just not the DCL help.

    /Wilm

    PS Dutch word for English "article" =
    "artikel" (singular),
    "artikelen", 0 or plural

  2. Re: DCL Help F$FAO error (VAX VMS 7.3, Alpha VMS 8.3)

    Wilm Boerhout wrote:
    > For all you DCL jockeys out there:
    >
    > I recently had a need for the F$FAO "plurals" directive, and DCL help
    > led me astray: from "help F$FAO directives" I understood that the
    > plurals directives should be used as follows:
    >
    > $ say f$fao("!2UL artike!1%C!%E!%F", n, "l", "len")
    >
    > where instead the proper use is:
    >
    > $ say f$fao("!2UL artike!1%Cl!%Elen!%F", n)
    >
    > I.e. the arguments are not placed in the parameter list as suggested in
    > DCL help, but in line in thee FAO string. The documentation is probably
    > right (saw an excerpt on the 'net), just not the DCL help.
    >
    > /Wilm
    >
    > PS Dutch word for English "article" =
    > "artikel" (singular),
    > "artikelen", 0 or plural

    FWIW, I've always gone to the System Services Reference Manual
    for $FAO and its directives. The SSRM is more complete...and
    apparently more accurate...

    -Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield