Martin Fink Webcast - VMS

This is a discussion on Martin Fink Webcast - VMS ; In article , Bob Gezelter writes: >On Oct 27, 3:21 pm, JF Mezei wrote: >> Ok, there is one comment I cannot resist because this appears to be a >> new spin at HP. >> >> I was startled by ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Martin Fink Webcast

    In article <1193520143.325928.304970@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>, Bob Gezelter writes:
    >On Oct 27, 3:21 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Ok, there is one comment I cannot resist because this appears to be a
    >> new spin at HP.
    >>
    >> I was startled by Fink's comments about VMS customers not wanting
    >> regular/frequent software upgrades.
    >>
    >> Once HP management accepts the brainwahsing that VMS customers don't
    >> want upgrades, it becomes far easier for them to slow down VMS
    >> development to include only support for new devices.
    >>
    >> Very dangerous slope.

    >JF,
    >
    >The response about "... do want to update their software environments
    >on a regular basis." was in response to a question about open source
    >software.
    >
    >Many open source projects are in a continuous state of flux, versions
    >appear in some cases on a weekly basis. It is my opinion, reading the
    >document from the Encompass www server that Mr. Fink's comments in
    >that regard are correct. The production community does not, in my
    >experience, want to deal with new component versions on a frequent
    >basis. This is not about fixes for known problems, these are new
    >releases with both fixes and new features.

    However for open source projects HP should be feeding back any specific VMS
    changes so that, in general, anyone who wants to build a later version than
    that directly supplied by HP should have a reasonable chance of it working
    anyway.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >Having had clients where the supported environment is in a constant
    >state of flux, it is extraordinarily frustrating production
    >experience.
    >
    >I would not interpret this comment negatively, it is a comment
    >directly in response to a particular question, and is, IMHO, a
    >reasonable response to that question.
    >
    >- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  2. Re: Martin Fink Webcast

    4) The OpenVMS customer base relies on some key ISVs in selected
    markets. Without strong ISV
    support, the VMS customer base will shrivel and die. We are aware
    that individuals in HP are
    working to persuade ISVs to deploy on HP-UX instead of OpenVMS.
    What is HP doing to support
    existing and attract new ISVs in those market segments and
    customers who rely on key,
    distinctive OpenVMS features and technologies?

    Response: ISVs continue to invest in and port their applications to
    OpenVMS - a manifestation of
    their endorsement and HP's encouragement. HP's strategy is to work
    towards the availability of
    the applications our customers demand. These include key databases
    such as Oracle Rdb,
    Oracle 10gR2, InterSystems Caché, and RMS. The OpenVMS lab helps
    key ISVs port their
    software to OpenVMS on Integrity servers as well as to validate the
    functionality of the base
    operating systems, layered products, and compilers. Plus, HP
    sponsors Integrity Porting
    Workshops for ISVs, as well as end user customers who develop in-
    house applications.

    What a load of kaka. Didn't even answer the question or explain why
    they breached the contract by telling that to Cerner. Given an answer
    like that, customers running Cerner should be banding together in a
    massive class action lawsuit.

  3. Re: Martin Fink Webcast

    6) Recent cost-cutting in the OpenVMS product group and the off-
    shoring of engineering for a
    significant amount of the product set has resulted in a noticeable
    decline in product quality. One
    of the key features of OpenVMS that customers rely on has been its
    bullet-proof reliability.
    Because of their "boutique" nature, both OpenVMS and NSK require
    the utmost reliability and
    quality to survive in the marketplace. Does HP product management
    recognize this fact and what
    is being done to insure that a decline in product quality doesn't
    sacrifice a profitable market
    segment for OpenVMS?

    Response: We would be interested in receiving feedback and examples
    of product quality issues.
    Recently OpenVMS was rated very high in the areas of quality and
    high availability in a survey of
    users and partners.

    Rating very high against operating systems which are an industry wide
    joke (notably HP-UX and Windows) is not the same as rating high on the
    "bet human life on it" scale that OpenVMS has traditionally been held
    to, especially when it comes to radiation dispensing for cancer
    patients and the Patriot missile system.

  4. Re: Martin Fink Webcast

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > [snip]
    > E-mail me privately and I'll forward you the messages that came directly from
    > the vendors and from other sites.

    Those who have inquired and those who might:

    Understand that I must search my e-mail at work for this. This will be a
    low-priority item may not get a lot of cycles for some time.

    Watch your inbox between here and the holidays, but don't hold your breath.
    Remember: my site is in migration mode: AWAY from VMS!

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: Martin Fink Webcast

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > [snip]
    > What a load of kaka. Didn't even answer the question or explain why
    > they breached the contract by telling that to Cerner. Given an answer
    > like that, customers running Cerner should be banding together in a
    > massive class action lawsuit.

    Speak the plain truth, dude, at this point HP has pissed off so many people I
    doubt the bulk of 'em even give a spit anymore.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

+ Reply to Thread