MN 4.4, XNTP and Time Change - VMS

This is a discussion on MN 4.4, XNTP and Time Change - VMS ; Folks, I need (yet another) sanity check on instructions from our primary vendor, Cerner. See below for our vital statistics, but basically, MN 4.4 on VMS 7.3-2 with XNTP patched to 030, and very vanilla NTP configuration parameters. For the ...

  1. MN 4.4, XNTP and Time Change

    Folks, I need (yet another) sanity check on instructions from our
    primary vendor, Cerner. See below for our vital statistics, but
    basically, MN 4.4 on VMS 7.3-2 with XNTP patched to 030, and very
    vanilla NTP configuration parameters.

    For the time change, our local procedure consists of the following
    semi-manual steps:

    1) Disable XNTP
    2) At 2AM PDT, $ Set Time/Cluster 1:00:00

    (Yes, this caught my eye as I'd very much prefer a
    "SYSMAN> conf set time 0-1:00:00" which I'll probably use.
    Main point is that the time is changed manually.)

    3) Invoke Sys$Manager:UTC$Time_Setup with parameters correct
    for PST (in this case) to change the system TDF and
    Sys$TimeZone_* logical names
    3) Submit a batch job that runs 8 HOURS LATER to restart XNTP.

    QUESTIONS:

    Cerner documentation purports to quote *Process* saying,

    "If you are going to use an automated time change procedure,
    XNTP should be disabled during the time change and NOT BE
    RESTARTED FOR 6 TO 8 HOURS." [emphasis mine]

    1) Is this correct?
    2) Does it apply only for *automated* time change, e.g., with
    AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV
    set to 1?
    3) Does XNTP have some sort of very long "memory" of something? I would
    have thought merely stopping and restarting XNTP would get you a
    "fresh"
    synchronization, etc.

    And finally:

    4) I just noticed the NTP.DRIFT on our system is at version ;32767 and
    was last modified on 22-SEP-2007 (oops!). Our systems seem to be well
    synched. Do I need to rename this back to ;1, or will XNTP continue
    to function properly as is?

    Thanks very much, Ken
    --
    Ken Fairfield
    System Administrator, Information Resources

    Who: my-first-initial-full-last-name
    Where: lhs -dot- org

    $ mu show/vers
    Process Software MultiNet V4.4 Rev A-X, hp AlphaServer GS1280 7/1300,
    OpenVMS AXP V7.3-2
    $
    $ sear multinet:multinet_version ntp
    XREPLACED NTPDATE.VUI XNTP-020_A044 24-JUN-2003
    XREPLACED NTPQ.VUI XNTP-020_A044 24-JUN-2003
    XREPLACED NTPTRACE.VUI XNTP-020_A044 24-JUN-2003
    XREPLACED START_XNTPD_COM.VUF XNTP-020_A044 24-JUN-2003
    XREPLACED XNTPD.VUI XNTP-020_A044 24-JUN-2003
    XREPLACED XNTPDC.VUI XNTP-020_A044 24-JUN-2003
    XREPLACED LOADABLE_XNTP_CONTROL.VUI XNTP-030_A044
    11-MAR-2007
    XREPLACED MULTINET_SOCKET_LIBRARY.VUI XNTP-030_A044
    11-MAR-200
    7
    XREPLACED NTPDATE.VUI XNTP-030_A044 11-MAR-2007
    XREPLACED NTPQ.VUI XNTP-030_A044 11-MAR-2007
    XREPLACED NTPTRACE.VUI XNTP-030_A044 11-MAR-2007
    XREPLACED START_XNTPD_COM.VUF XNTP-030_A044 11-MAR-2007
    XREPLACED TIMEZONES_DAT.VUF XNTP-030_A044 11-MAR-2007
    XREPLACED XNTPD.VUI XNTP-030_A044 11-MAR-2007
    XREPLACED XNTPDC.VUI XNTP-030_A044 11-MAR-2007
    $
    $ type multinet:ntp.conf
    ;=========================================
    ;
    ; XNTP Configuration File
    ; Created by user LHSREW
    ; Created at 2-DEC-2003 15:06:34.22
    ;
    ;=========================================
    ;
    server ntpserver1
    server ntpserver2

    IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
    information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
    for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
    intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message.
    Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is
    strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is
    intended to be a legally binding signature.

  2. RE: MN 4.4, XNTP and Time Change

    I would say that the "rule" would apply to any mechanism that would set
    the clock outside of the use of XNTP, particularly when leaving daylight
    saving time for standard time. XNTP refers to the time when the clocks
    fall backwards as the "twilight zone". Restarting XNTP on a system that
    has entered the twilight zone could result in a double set back. I
    would wait at least an hour to restart XNTP.

    The statement about not restarting XNTP for 6+ hours may be due to fears
    about trying to synchronize with systems that are slewing their clocks
    rather than stepping their clocks. Current documentation says that
    systems that slew their clocks should never be used as time servers.

    The code does not appear to have anything in it to deal with the drift
    file getting to the maximum version number, so I would recommend
    renaming it back to ;1.

    ----
[...]

+ Reply to Thread