free space on disk is not correct - VMS

This is a discussion on free space on disk is not correct - VMS ; Hi, I have recently built a 2 node itanium cluster, the disks are controlled by dual eva's, I have notice over the past few weeks that free disk space is not being calculated correctly on the drives from time to ...

  1. free space on disk is not correct

    Hi,
    I have recently built a 2 node itanium cluster, the disks are
    controlled by dual eva's, I have notice over the past few weeks that
    free disk space is not being calculated correctly on the drives from
    time to time. A set vol/rebuild and an anal/disk/repair does not fix
    the counters the only way to get the disk back to seeing correct
    amount of free space is to dismount drive and then remount it. The
    operating system is VMS 8.3, anyone seen this before is there a known
    fix out there somewhere.....

    Thanks,
    Carmine

  2. Re: free space on disk is not correct

    magalettac@hotmail.com wrote:
    > time to time. A set vol/rebuild and an anal/disk/repair does not fix
    > the counters the only way to get the disk back to seeing correct
    > amount of free space is to dismount drive and then remount it.

    How do you know that the free space is incorrect ? (This might help
    knowing why the count is wrong)

    It is possible that you have some hidden temporary files used by
    applications which take up a lot of space ?

    Neither ana/disk/repair or set vol/rebuild would solve the issue as long
    as those files are open by some application. Dismounting the drive
    implies that you have shutdown all applications and thus those files
    become deletable.

  3. Re: free space on disk is not correct

    magalettac@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have recently built a 2 node itanium cluster, the disks are
    > controlled by dual eva's, I have notice over the past few weeks that
    > free disk space is not being calculated correctly on the drives from
    > time to time. A set vol/rebuild and an anal/disk/repair does not fix
    > the counters the only way to get the disk back to seeing correct
    > amount of free space is to dismount drive and then remount it. The
    > operating system is VMS 8.3, anyone seen this before is there a known
    > fix out there somewhere.....

    Does ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR show any files marked for deletion prior to the
    DISMOUNT/reMOUNT?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  4. Re: free space on disk is not correct

    The drives are off be huge amounts,
    Example I have set them up as 25gbyte drives,
    Monday morning the drive had roughly 24gbytes free
    Tuesday it was down to 2 gbytes free, I know nothing was running
    on the disk and there were no files open. The only thing I did was
    reboot
    the box at some point on Monday, as soon as I dism/mount the disk all
    was back
    to normal ?

    Thanks for any input....

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > magalettac@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > > I have recently built a 2 node itanium cluster, the disks are
    > > controlled by dual eva's, I have notice over the past few weeks that
    > > free disk space is not being calculated correctly on the drives from
    > > time to time. A set vol/rebuild and an anal/disk/repair does not fix
    > > the counters the only way to get the disk back to seeing correct
    > > amount of free space is to dismount drive and then remount it. The
    > > operating system is VMS 8.3, anyone seen this before is there a known
    > > fix out there somewhere.....

    > Does ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR show any files marked for deletion prior to the
    > DISMOUNT/reMOUNT?
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: free space on disk is not correct

    It Just happened again, one note the $ set vol/rebuild=force seems to
    fix it

    MTPRD4>sho time
    29-OCT-2007 13:15:30
    MTPRD4>show dev prod1$

    Device Device Error Volume Free
    Trans Mnt
    Name Status Count Label Blocks
    Count Cnt
    $1$DGA124: (MTPRD4) Mounted 0 PROD1$
    52291200 1 2
    MTPRD4>set vol/rebuild=force $1$dga124:
    MTPRD4>show dev prod1$

    Device Device Error Volume Free
    Trans Mnt
    Name Status Count Label Blocks
    Count Cnt
    $1$DGA124: (MTPRD4) Mounted 0 PROD1$
    46212288 1 2
    MTPRD4>show time
    29-OCT-2007 13:15:56
    MTPRD4>show dev/full $1$dga124:

    Disk $1$DGA124: (MTPRD4), device type HSV200, is online, mounted, file-
    oriented
    device, shareable, device has multiple I/O paths, served to
    cluster via MSCP
    Server, error logging is enabled.

    Error count 0 Operations
    completed 8329286
    Owner process "" Owner UIC
    [SYSTEM]
    Owner process ID 00000000 Dev Prot
    S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G:R,W
    Reference count 1 Default buffer
    size 512
    Current preferred CPU Id 3
    Fastpath 1
    WWID 01000010:6005-08B4-0005-4B9D-0001-9000-00E3-0000
    Total blocks 52428800 Sectors per
    track 128
    Total cylinders 3200 Tracks per
    cylinder 128
    Logical Volume Size 52428800 Expansion Size Limit
    66846720
    Host name "MTPRD4" Host type, avail HP rx6600
    (1.40GHz/6.0
    MB), yes
    Alternate host name "MTPRD5" Alt. type, avail HP rx6600
    (1.40GHz/6.0
    MB), yes
    Allocation class 1

    Volume label "PROD1$" Relative volume
    number 0
    Cluster size 64 Transaction
    count 1
    Free blocks 46212288 Maximum files
    allowed 403298
    Extend quantity 5 Mount
    count 2
    Mount status System Cache name "_
    $1$DGA4:XQPCACHE"
    Extent cache size 64 Maximum blocks in extent
    cache 4621228
    File ID cache size 64 Blocks in extent
    cache 0
    Quota cache size 0 Maximum buffers in FCP
    cache 4670
    Volume owner UIC [SYSTEM] Vol Prot
    S:RWCD,O:RWCD,G:RWCD,W:RWCD

    Volume Status: ODS-2, subject to mount verification, file high-
    water marking,
    write-back caching enabled.
    Volume is also mounted on MTPRD5.

    I/O paths to device 5

    Path FGB0.5000-1FE1-500C-E4B9 (MTPRD4), primary
    Error count 0 Operations
    completed 98
    Last switched to time: Never
    Count 0
    Last switched from time: 25-OCT-2007 10:26:58.26

    Path FGB0.5000-1FE1-500C-E4BD (MTPRD4), current
    Error count 0 Operations
    completed 8328992
    Last switched to time: 25-OCT-2007 10:26:58.26
    Count 1
    Last switched from time: Never

    Path FGD0.5000-1FE1-500C-E4B8 (MTPRD4)
    Error count 0 Operations
    completed 98
    Last switched to time: Never
    Count 0
    Last switched from time: Never

    Path FGD0.5000-1FE1-500C-E4BC (MTPRD4)
    Error count 0 Operations
    completed 98
    Last switched to time: Never
    Count 0
    Last switched from time: Never

    Path MSCP (MTPRD5)
    Error count 0 Operations
    completed 0
    Last switched to time: Never
    Count 0

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <1193669492.402722.125830@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>, magalettac@hotmail.com writes:
    > > The drives are off be huge amounts,
    > > Example I have set them up as 25gbyte drives,
    > > Monday morning the drive had roughly 24gbytes free
    > > Tuesday it was down to 2 gbytes free, I know nothing was running
    > > on the disk and there were no files open. The only thing I did was
    > > reboot
    > > the box at some point on Monday, as soon as I dism/mount the disk all
    > > was back
    > > to normal ?
    > >

    > Next time, maybe try show device/files from every node that has the
    > disk mounted so you can be sure you're sure.

  6. Re: free space on disk is not correct

    In article <1193669492.402722.125830@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>, magalettac@hotmail.com writes:
    > The drives are off be huge amounts,
    > Example I have set them up as 25gbyte drives,
    > Monday morning the drive had roughly 24gbytes free
    > Tuesday it was down to 2 gbytes free, I know nothing was running
    > on the disk and there were no files open. The only thing I did was
    > reboot
    > the box at some point on Monday, as soon as I dism/mount the disk all
    > was back
    > to normal ?

    Next time, maybe try show device/files from every node that has the
    disk mounted so you can be sure you're sure.

  7. Re: free space on disk is not correct

    magalettac@hotmail.com wrote:

    > It Just happened again, one note the $ set vol/rebuild=force seems to
    > fix it

    What's your VMS version?

    Are you up-to-date with ECOs and such?

    Are you using either VIOC or XFC?

    If you have a support contract, have you logged a ticket on this yet?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/